• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus precautions: Has the world gone mad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trebor79

Established Member
If China had not locked down originally, would any other country have done so?
No I don't believe they would have done. I had a similar musing myself the other day. China's lockdown appeared to work, so others followed sure. Only Sweden and a few other countries have done something different and they don't appear to have done any worse than us, but have avoided taking their economies.
Was speaking a young person today. He said hes not likely to go out till next year ,he dosent think its safe. Blimey.
A friend from university reckons he, his wife and two kids haven't left their small flat since March. Grim.
Unfortunately it is a lot harder to do so in Scotland, but I would strongly recommend getting out and about where possible. It is mostly reassuring (except for the occasional strange person, like the corner-jumping woman in Ely today...). Most people are just getting on with stuff. Norwich today looked like a normal Saturday, very few masks, no-one at all following the one-way system in the market. Someone had even
spray-painted a sheep next to a ‘keep apart’ sign on the pavement :)
I was in Norwich today too. There were quite a lot of those sheep and they did make me smile. Good old Norwich!
Most places were fairly sensible, one way through Thornes but that's no problem and allows you to admire the higgeldy piggledy wonderland. Jones Bootmaker was sanitise your hands when entering. Staff had visors and one also had a surgical mask but other than that a completely standard experience. Jarrold sensible. Only place I had an issue was in Boots. Security guard on the door "Why are you here?". Directed me to the sun cream and told me to follow the one way system to pay. I ended up at the pharmacy counter and got told off because apparently I should have continued to a different till at the other side of the shop that couldn't be seen. But she sold me my sun cream "just this time". Thanked her and went to leave, via the one way, but apparently this was incorrect and I was meant to go back the way I came from that particular counter. There was one other customer in the shop at this point, so it really didn't matter anyway. As I was leaving I noticed there were tensa barriers everywhere blocking off some of the aisles completely. Just bizarre.
Had lunch on the market. Nice to see it reasonably busy and some of the character stall holders again.
Maybe one of the MODS can tidy this up but hopefully you'll see the kit the Qatar Airways crew are wearing in this tweet!

https://mobile.twitter.com/AirlineFlyer/status/1274145379773222913/photo/1
Friend flew back from Canada where she's been in lockdown with her partner and daughter on Wednesday. Apparently the crew were similarly dressed in full hazmat suits and wine her up several times when her face mask shifted slightly.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
I wonder if society is dividing into realists/don’t care and Covid phobics. Certainly on my walk today, in the city and the country, people were not leaping aside from each other like they were a couple of months ago, and in Endcliffe Park in Sheffield, there were loads of groups playing football, having a beer: they weren’t socially distancing from each other, but each group kept separate. Meanwhile, Sheffield council seem to have dedicated their entire workforce to painting signs and crosses on the pavements, but not opening the toilets, so people were pissing in the river...

trebor79

Established Member
not opening the toilets, so people were pissing in the river...
Yes I really don't understand the whole"no toilets" thing. I mean unless you have certain proclivities is the very definition of social distancing and you wash your hands on the way out. So it's"safer" than rummaging through the veg at Tesco.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I wonder if society is dividing into realists/don’t care and Covid phobics. Certainly on my walk today, in the city and the country, people were not leaping aside from each other like they were a couple of months ago, and in Endcliffe Park in Sheffield, there were loads of groups playing football, having a beer: they weren’t socially distancing from each other, but each group kept separate. Meanwhile, Sheffield council seem to have dedicated their entire workforce to painting signs and crosses on the pavements, but not opening the toilets, so people were pissing in the river...
I'm guessing that Sheffield Council isn't very interested in filling potholes either. I agree with your other comments. Most people that I've seen outside or in shops recently have been getting on with life as normal. Face masks are rare in Wales.

DB

I wonder if society is dividing into realists/don’t care and Covid phobics.

I think that could well be the case. It's where it goes now is the question, because the government seems to want to keep the phobics happy (having created them in the first place with its policies), and the more they do this the more the paranoia will grow in those prone to it!

Journeyman

Established Member
Boots is the only store I've had any significant issues with as well. I was at a big branch in Edinburgh where a petty Hitler in ridiculously excessive PPE at the door officiously directed me. I couldn't get everything I wanted because of the stupid systems in place, so gave up in despair and went elsewhere.

DB

I'm guessing that Sheffield Council isn't very interested in filling potholes either. I agree with your other comments. Most people that I've seen outside or in shops recently have been getting on with life as normal. Face masks are rare in Wales.

Are any councils interested in filling potholes? Don't think I've ever lived anywhere where the council regarded it as any sort of priority

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Boots is the only store I've had any significant issues with as well. I was at a big branch in Edinburgh where a petty Hitler in ridiculously excessive PPE at the door officiously directed me. I couldn't get everything I wanted because of the stupid systems in place, so gave up in despair and went elsewhere.

There's not a lot you can buy at Boots that isn't on sale at the large supermarkets, so if they want to knacker their business...

Established Member
I believe asthma has been demoted a bit in the scheme of vulnerability now it's understood that the disease is more of a blood vessel (in the lungs) than a respiratory disease. Indeed, it's quite possibly the case that asthma preventer inhalers, as they are a corticosteroid, actually reduce the risk a bit, whereas at the start the big concern was the slight (and it is very slight at mild-asthma type doses) immune suppressant effect they have on the side.

Also a blue inhaler can be quite useful if you do have breathing problems!

That’s all very true.

But for somebody with severe anxiety, who is obsessional about their health to the point of neurosis, reason and logic don’t come into it, sadly. The “stay home to stay safe” messaging has been like a red rag to a bull for these people.

Richard Scott

Established Member
That’s all very true.

But for somebody with severe anxiety, who is obsessional about their health to the point of neurosis, reason and logic don’t come into it, sadly. The “stay home to stay safe” messaging has been like a red rag to a bull for these people.
Let's be honest the message 'stay home stay safe' implies that you're fine at home so hasn't helped - word that needs using (if they must) is SAFER. This implies there's still some risk but then maybe even that's too subtle for the paranoid people?

Scrotnig

I wonder if society is dividing into realists/don’t care and Covid phobics.
I'm certainly a realist and in favour of opening up as quickly as possible, but I'm certainly not "don't care". I'm being very cautious and making sure I don't take unnecessary risks, but with the caveat that I want life to get back to normal ASAP.

johnnychips

Established Member
I'm certainly a realist and in favour of opening up as quickly as possible, but I'm certainly not "don't care". I'm being very cautious and making sure I don't take unnecessary risks, but with the caveat that I want life to get back to normal ASAP.
Quite. There have been some people who have never bothered with any guidelines, but I seem like you, I still wash my hands a lot and try not to sneeze everywhere (hay fever!) but I am not worried at all about going into shops or passing by people.

Enthusiast

A friend from university reckons he, his wife and two kids haven't left their small flat since March. Grim.
My next door neighbours have scarcely left the house since lockdown. They're under 40, with two kiddies, aged 7 and 4. Intelligent people (husband in finance, wife a solicitor). Both working from home. She makes an occasional foray to the shops, he barely leaves the house. Kiddies, I think have gone out twice in that time. They scarcely even venture into the back garden. Speaking to them (from a distance over the garden fence) they believe "it would be safer if they stayed in" and worry about us oldies going out and about. I've ventured to suggest that their strategy is possibly ill-advised but they seem to have made up their minds. I've no idea if or when they will emerge. Very disturbing.

Established Member
Let's be honest the message 'stay home stay safe' implies that you're fine at home so hasn't helped - word that needs using (if they must) is SAFER. This implies there's still some risk but then maybe even that's too subtle for the paranoid people?

As a general point the messaging around this virus has been nonsensical from the start. If you’re healthy, and not very elderly, it poses a negligible risk. It’s clear that many people in this country don’t understand this! In many cases that’s down to ignorance and/or lack of intelligence.

There are also many people who suffer from severe anxiety/hypochondria (my step dad is one of them). They are irrational and will fixate on anything which feeds their paranoia. When they’re told about a pandemic of a “killer virus” they will be terrified, to the point where they can barely function. That has a dreadful impact on them and on the people around them.

I’ve seen it first hand in my family, and it’s not nice. It’s just one of the ways the response to this pandemic has wrecked mental health in this country!

On Moderation
Incorrect. Check your facts and come back to us.

Edit: In case this genuinely needs explaining in basic terms.
Today, 1295 new cases of covid-19 were recorded in the UK. That's 0.0019% of the population. Stop trying to scaremonger people. If you step outside your front door it won't kill you.
Which incidently represents approx 9% of the total cases reported in Europe (14462) of which Russia accounted for 7889 (approx 50%). (Source - worldometers.info)

With that level of infection in the UK still occuring, in comparison to our nearest neighbours there is something wrong with the measures we are taking to tackle the virus.

Journeyman

Established Member
There's not a lot you can buy at Boots that isn't on sale at the large supermarkets, so if they want to knacker their business...

Well, quite. As a company wide policy, they seem to have made it impossible to buy items from the pharmacy counter and the rest of the store at the same time, putting massive barriers up to segregate the two parts of their stores. So, you have to buy from one part, queue, pay, go out, back in and repeat the whole rigmarole again. Where the f*** is the logic in that? I just can't be bothered.

johnnychips

Established Member
Replying to 43066, 3 posts ago: Yes, and it makes people, including myself, irrational. So I’m really careful about keeping 2m in the queue to get into Tesco, but as soon as I get in, me nor nobody else has any qualms about overtaking or passing others: then as soon as you get in the queue to checkout, it’s 2m again!

MikeWM

Established Member
I’m fairly indifferent. Obviously I’d rather not get a potentially nasty virus with a very small chance of making me dangerously ill, but I’m not going to change anything about what I do in my life to try to avoid it, either. Que sera sera...

Journeyman

Established Member

The Scottish Government is currently running an ad campaign desperately trying to encourage people to go out occasionally! The subtext to it seems to be "oops, we've scared the bejeezus out of you, so now you never go out. Sorry."

Established Member
Well, quite. As a company wide policy, they seem to have made it impossible to buy items from the pharmacy counter and the rest of the store at the same time, putting massive barriers up to segregate the two parts of their stores. So, you have to buy from one part, queue, pay, go out, back in and repeat the whole rigmarole again. Where the f*** is the logic in that? I just can't be bothered.

The exact same “logic” which dictates you have to queue outside Tesco, but once inside,
nobody gives a stuff and you can rummage around to your heart’s content.

Yet, if you go into many clothing retailers, someone wearing a mask (usually with nostrils exposed) will tell you you’re not allowed to try anything on.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Which incidently represents approx 9% of the total cases reported in Europe (14462) of which Russia accounted for 7889 (approx 50%). (Source - worldometers.info)

With that level of infection in the UK still occuring, in comparison to our nearest neighbours there is something wrong with the measures we are taking to tackle the virus.
But as noted a minutely small number of the population. We have a larger population than most countries in Europe and some high population densities in some cities do would expect it to be higher. When numbers are this small then will get fluctuations and some showing higher than others.

Journeyman

Established Member
I’m fairly indifferent. Obviously I’d rather not get a potentially nasty virus with a very small chance of making me dangerously ill, but I’m not going to change anything about what I do in my life to try to avoid it, either. Que sera sera...

Likewise. Right from the start, I've done as much as I'm allowed to do, and I haven't caught coronavirus. I wouldn't worry if I did, because I'm fit and healthy and young enough for the fatality rate to be very low in my demographic. I was, however, very fearful of the potential economic effects of lockdown.

I've been fully vindicated in my views.

Journeyman

Established Member
Yet, if you go into many clothing retailers, someone wearing a mask (usually with nostrils exposed) will tell you you’re not allowed to try anything on.

All that will do is result in unnecessary repeat visits so people can queue up to exchange things that don't fit. *facepalm*

johnnychips

Established Member

No, that sounds like we are doing very well to me. 1295 new cases in 66 000 000? I wonder how many cancer cases we are missing at the moment.. or things that are not fatal but life-enhancing like hip-replacements?

adc82140

Established Member
Replying to 43066, 3 posts ago: Yes, and it makes people, including myself, irrational. So I’m really careful about keeping 2m in the queue to get into Tesco, but as soon as I get in, me nor nobody else has any qualms about overtaking or passing others: then as soon as you get in the queue to checkout, it’s 2m again!

Thing is though in a queue of perhaps 10 or 15 minutes you could be at risk of picking something up if you're too close to someone. Overtaking or passing in a supermarket aisle is highly unlikely to transmit anything.

Journeyman

Established Member
No, that sounds like we are doing very well to me. 1295 new cases in 66 000 000? I wonder how many cancer cases we are missing at the moment.. or things that are not fatal but life-enhancing like hip-replacements?

I periodically need to get my ears syringed. It takes about ten minutes, but because I can't get it done, I'm suffering a really uncomfortable pressure build-up and I'm practically deaf in my right ear. It's an enormous contribution to the stress I'm experiencing right now.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
The exact same “logic” which dictates you have to queue outside Tesco, but once inside,
nobody gives a stuff and you can rummage around to your heart’s content.

You know, it's a really clever virus:

It is so mysterious the way it lurks in schools, but then dies at Home Bargains. And it's quite sneaky: it can spread when buying clothes at Primark but not at Tesco or Asda!

Journeyman

Established Member
You know, it's a really clever virus:

It is so mysterious the way it lurks in schools, but then dies at Home Bargains. And it's quite sneaky: it can spread when buying clothes at Primark but not at Tesco or Asda!

It clearly likes travelling by train as well, but initially only in England.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
It clearly likes travelling by train as well, but initially only in England.
And only on a particular TOC's trains too!

I periodically need to get my ears syringed. It takes about ten minutes, but because I can't get it done, I'm suffering a really uncomfortable pressure build-up and I'm practically deaf in my right ear. It's an enormous contribution to the stress I'm experiencing right now.
I can arrange for a pro-lockdownivist to give your ears a good bashing, if that would help? :lol:

---------
Oh, and if you want me to answer the question in the thread title? The simple answer is mainly yes, the UK without a doubt.

Established Member
All that will do is result in unnecessary repeat visits so people can queue up to exchange things that don't fit. *facepalm*

Indeed. Or people will just realise that they might as well just shop online. The final nail in the coffin of the high street?!

It’s almost laughable, but then you remember we’re heading into the worst recession for three hundred years...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.