• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus: Under what circumstances is it safe and sensible to trainspot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Halish Railway

Established Member
Over the past few weeks, whilst I’ve been walking/cycling in my local area I’ve stopped at a station or a line side spot. However, I’d like to ask whether it’s sensible to go further a field (20 mile area) to a station/line side spot in a rural area to go trainspotting (obviously travelling by car).

I ask this since you can go to the beach, collect takeaways or drive as far as you’d like for exercise, situations in which you’d encounter more people and have a higher likelihood of spreading the virus,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
As a solitary outdoor pursuit, there's no reason why you can't go 20 miles to trainspot under current guidelines.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Over the past few weeks, whilst I’ve been walking/cycling in my local area I’ve stopped at a station or a line side spot. However, I’d like to ask whether it’s sensible to go further a field (20 mile area) to a station/line side spot in a rural area to go trainspotting (obviously travelling by car).

I ask this since you can go to the beach, collect takeaways or drive as far as you’d like for exercise, situations in which you’d encounter more people and have a higher likelihood of spreading the virus,

I suppose this should be perfectly fine. As you rightly said, try and do it in rural areas if possible, as the risk of being infected with COVID-19 / Coronavirus is pretty low.

Aren't you required to have a valid reason? I wouldn't say trainspotting counts as much exercise especially at a station. I was going to start up again when non essential shops open.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Aren't you required to have a valid reason? I wouldn't say trainspotting counts as much exercise especially at a station. I was going to start up again when non essential shops open.

Nah, the relaxation happened a couple of weeks ago (in England). Outdoor pursuits are encouraged, so long as social distancing is maintained. No gathering at the end of any platforms though !

LowLevel

Established Member
The railway would rather you didn't undertake your hobby at a (any) station at the moment. A frosty reaction from any resident staff or passing traincrew is likely. Going to a lineside location shouldn't be a problem though.

WM Bus

The railway would rather you didn't undertake your hobby at a (any) station at the moment. A frosty reaction from any resident staff or passing traincrew is likely. Going to a lineside location shouldn't be a problem though.
However I can't see any problem them going to an empty station paltform which is outdoors (not a indoor one in the middle of a City such as B'ham New St) such as Blakedown to see the trains if they wished to on there own? Its not unlawful is it?

Its just a matter of being sensible I think.

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Go as far as you like*, but avoid stations.

(* within England, that is! ;))
Aren't you required to have a valid reason? I wouldn't say trainspotting counts as much exercise especially at a station.
The updated legislation can be found at https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/6 and goes well beyond medical reasons, work, caring for vulnerable people and exercise now.
I don't see any problem going to an empty station if they wished to.
If it's unstaffed and empty there is unlikely to be any issue in practice but the railway would rather you didn't; if you are asked to leave you would have to comply.

scrapy

Established Member
To be honest it very much depends on the circumstances but if you do go to a station I don't think you'd have a problem as long as you:-

Follow government social distancing advice

Go to a very quiet station, preferably one that is unstaffed.

Go to a station where if a train stops the train will be much shorter than the platform length and you stay in an area that the train is not going to use. (I.e. The far ends of long platforms) and don't stand between where a train is going to stop and any exits meaning that no-one is likely to come near you on their way in or out of the station.

Stay well away from the platform edge.

Don't trespass, climb embankments or go into any area of the platform not in use.

You don't look suspicious or out of place, or like you are going to harm yourself. Railway staff are very good at spotting spotters so as long as you've got your camera out you'll be fine.

Comply with any instructions given by rail staff including if you are asked to leave, whether you agree or not, remembering that the railway is private property.

If you have cycled there ensure that your bike lights are turned off on the station, and don't cycle on the station.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Or just don't go to a station. There are plenty of other places to go. Look at an OS map (e.g. on Bing Maps) and find a public footpath near a line, take a picnic and a folding chair and sit in a field out of anyone's way.

LowLevel

Established Member
To be honest it very much depends on the circumstances but if you do go to a station I don't think you'd have a problem as long as you:-

Follow government social distancing advice

Go to a very quiet station, preferably one that is unstaffed.

Go to a station where if a train stops the train will be much shorter than the platform length and you stay in an area that the train is not going to use. (I.e. The far ends of long platforms) and don't stand between where a train is going to stop and any exits meaning that no-one is likely to come near you on their way in or out of the station.

Stay well away from the platform edge.

Don't trespass, climb embankments or go into any area of the platform not in use.

You don't look suspicious or out of place, or like you are going to harm yourself. Railway staff are very good at spotting spotters so as long as you've got your camera out you'll be fine.

Comply with any instructions given by rail staff including if you are asked to leave, whether you agree or not, remembering that the railway is private property.

If you have cycled there ensure that your bike lights are turned off on the station, and don't cycle on the station.

I appreciate the thought you've put into your response but I have been station staff and I am currently a conductor. I can assure you that at the moment the front line railway staff are nowhere near their normal largely friendly or indifferent selves towards railway enthusiasts. The industry has a clear message to stay away and if you fail to respect that you will find the law being thrown at you - if you don't leave when asked to do so it is a criminal offence on the railway.

Please be sensible and indulge your hobby somewhere away from railway stations. There are endless nice places to go.

I say this as someone who spotted a middle aged fool sat out on one of our stations on a deck chair in the sun and a bucket of beer and food from a passing train the other day.

Normally as a railway enthusiast myself I love engaging with fellow cranks. I'll sit and chat on the train or hang around the station. Not right now though.

Southern Dvr

I am in quite a quandary here, I have not been out on a photography trip since February. I live in Surrey and am debating whether on Tuesday to get in the car and do some railway photography around Kent. I’m thinking the Medway Valley and probably Westenhanger & Sandling. Despite these places being near enough on my doorstep I’ve not really given them any attention since the Mark 1 EMUs were retired. However I obviously don’t want to travel too far and am thinking that these places both foot / level crossings and stations are usually very seldom used so in the current climate should still be so. Reading above I’d obviously be looking at the platform ends, I’d make sure my tripod is visible so it’s fairly obvious what I’m doing there, and what I’m wondering is what the general consensus here is.

Should I wait a bit longer or is a relatively short trip out of this nature considered acceptable now?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
A trip by car to a destination of your choice within England is now acceptable. I'd stay off the stations, though, and watch trains from another location, there are plenty of places where footpaths run near the line.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am in quite a quandary here, I have not been out on a photography trip since February. I live in Surrey and am debating whether on Tuesday to get in the car and do some railway photography around Kent. I’m thinking the Medway Valley and probably Westenhanger & Sandling. Despite these places being near enough on my doorstep I’ve not really given them any attention since the Mark 1 EMUs were retired. However I obviously don’t want to travel too far and am thinking that these places both foot / level crossings and stations are usually very seldom used so in the current climate should still be so. Reading above I’d obviously be looking at the platform ends, I’d make sure my tripod is visible so it’s fairly obvious what I’m doing there, and what I’m wondering is what the general consensus here is.

Should I wait a bit longer or is a relatively short trip out of this nature considered acceptable now?
If you avoid stations then I don't see why not.

Southern Dvr

The stations I’ve mentioned are both stations with next to no service, unstaffed and highly unlikely to have anyone around at them. My understanding of the reason to avoid public transport and stations is the inability to socially distance. I would be astonished if it would be a problem with these. I’m also thinking (geographical reasons) that these would be visited around 1900-2100.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
The stations I’ve mentioned are both stations with next to no service, unstaffed and highly unlikely to have anyone around at them. My understanding of the reason to avoid public transport and stations is the inability to socially distance. I would be astonished if it would be a problem with these. I’m also thinking (geographical reasons) that these would be visited around 1900-2100.
In practice this isn't going to be an issue; just bear in mind that if you are asked to leave (even if the station is empty) then you'd have to do so. The number of people on trains right now is tiny, so the chances of you even seeing anyone board or alight at a minor station between those times is slim.

111-111-1

both foot / level crossings and stations are usually very seldom used so in the current climate should still be so. Reading above I’d obviously be looking at the platform ends, I’d make sure my tripod is visible so it’s fairly obvious what I’m doing there, and what I’m wondering is what the general consensus here is.

Trip is ok take a walk for exercise. Avoid stations.

Lot of footpath so then foot crossing are getting more people using so take care not to cause block and keep the 2 meter distance.

Chris217

Was wondering if spotting is,allowed again at railway stations or if stations have banned it during the lockdown.
Now it's been relaxed a bit,was hoping to get out in a few weeks.
Obviously subjected to social distancing.

LowLevel

Established Member
Stations are generally not interested in enthusiasts hanging around just yet unfortunately, so no, not really.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Was wondering if spotting is,allowed again at railway stations or if stations have banned it during the lockdown.
Now it's been relaxed a bit,was hoping to get out in a few weeks.
Obviously subjected to social distancing.
The legislation is available at https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/6

I would advise avoiding stations and going to somewhere like a field or park, from where you get a good view of the line.

If you do go to a station for the purpose of spotting, I wouldn't be surprised if you were asked to leave, and if you were asked to leave, you would have to comply.

shredder1

Established Member
My understanding is that the guidance has now changed from only essential travel by public transport, to if there is no alternative and we can meet up with a friend or apparently 6 people as long as we observe social distancing, I would like to meet up with a railway friend on Saturday in Hull, I live in Manchester and wont drive that far these days, so am I permitted to take the train now?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
My understanding is that the guidance has now changed from only essential travel by public transport, to if there is no alternative and we can meet up with a friend or apparently 6 people as long as we observe social distancing, I would like to meet up with a railway friend on Saturday in Hull, I live in Manchester and wont drive that far these days, so am I permitted to take the train now?
You're a bit confused, but see: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...llowed-by-the-legislation.204411/post-4595814

The legislation referred to in that thread is current, except you can meet up to 6 people from 1st June.

So, providing you are meeting a friend for an allowed reason (e.g. to take exercise and/or to visit a public open space for the purposes of open-air recreation to promote your physical or mental health or emotional wellbeing) you may make this journey.

Obviously it's too far to walk or cycle (which are the recommended transport modes, wherever possible), so the advice is to travel by car if you can do so, but if not (e.g. if you do not own a car or any other reason) then you can travel by public transport.

Last edited:

Bikeman78

Established Member
I have a feeling that, before long, I'll need to visit a friend or go to a shop in Southend or Shenfield or Cambridge or wherever my DC motored EMU of choice happens to go :)

shredder1

Established Member
You're a bit confused, but see: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...llowed-by-the-legislation.204411/post-4595814

The legislation referred to in that thread is current, except you can meet up to 6 people from 1st June.

So, providing you are meeting a friend for an allowed reason (e.g. to take exercise and/or to visit a public open space for the purposes of open-air recreation to promote your physical or mental health or emotional wellbeing) you may make this journey.

Obviously it's too far to walk or cycle (which are the recommended transport modes, wherever possible), so the advice is to travel by car if you can do so, but if not (e.g. if you do not own a car or any other reason) then you can travel by public transport.

Thanks Yorkie, that seems reasonable, it s all about staying safe, protecting others and staying within the law of course.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
So by the looks of it
Leisure travel is not allowed still?
Anyone is allowed to travel in accordance with the legislation (regardless of transport mode).

The legislation can be found at https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2020/350/regulation/6

I have quoted the legislation in the dedicated thread: https://www.railforums.co.uk/thread...llowed-by-the-legislation.204411/post-4595814 but clearly a lot of people missed that, so here it is again:

6.—(1) During the emergency period, no person may leave [F1or be outside of] the place where they are living without reasonable excuse.

(2) For the purposes of paragraph (1), a reasonable excuse includes the need—

(a)to obtain basic necessities, including food and medical supplies for those in the same household (including any pets or animals in the household) or for vulnerable persons and supplies for the essential upkeep, maintenance and functioning of the household, or the household of a vulnerable person, F2... including from any business listed in Part 3 of Schedule 2;

[F3(aa)to obtain money from or deposit money with any business listed in paragraphs 33 or 34 of Schedule 2;]

[F4(ab)to collect goods which have been ordered from a business in any way permitted under regulation 5(1)(a);]

[F5(b)to take exercise—

(i)alone,

(ii)with one or more members of their household, or

(iii)with one member of another household;]

[F6(ba)to visit a public open space for the purposes of open-air recreation to promote their physical or mental health or emotional wellbeing—

(i)alone,

(ii)with one or more members of their household, or

(iii)with one member of another household;]

(c)to seek medical assistance, including to access any of the services referred to in paragraph 37 or 38 of Schedule 2;

(d)to provide care or assistance, including relevant personal care within the meaning of paragraph 7(3B) of Schedule 4 to the Safeguarding of Vulnerable Groups Act 2006 F7, to a vulnerable person, or to provide emergency assistance;

(e)to donate blood;

(f)to F8... work or to provide voluntary or charitable services, where it is not reasonably possible for that person to work, or to provide those services, from the place where they are living;

(g)to attend a funeral of—

(i)a member of the person's household,

(ii)a close family member, or

(iii)if no-one within sub-paragraphs (i) or (ii) are attending, a friend;

[F9(ga)to visit a burial ground or garden of remembrance, to pay respects to a member of the person’s household, a family member or friend;]

(h)to fulfil a legal obligation, including attending court or satisfying bail conditions, or to participate in legal proceedings;

(i)to access critical public services, including—

(i)childcare or educational facilities (where these are still available to a child in relation to whom that person is the parent, or has parental responsibility for, or care of the child);

(ii)social services;

(iii)services provided by the [F10Department for Work] and Pensions;

(iv)services provided to victims (such as victims of crime);

(j)in relation to children who do not live in the same household as their parents, or one of their parents, to continue existing arrangements for access to, and contact between, parents and children, and for the purposes of this paragraph, “parent” includes a person who is not a parent of the child, but who has parental responsibility for, or who has care of, the child;

(k)in the case of a minister of religion or worship leader, to go to their place of worship;

[F11(l)to undertake any of the following activities in connection with the purchase, sale, letting or rental of a residential property—

(i)visiting estate or letting agents, developer sales offices or show homes;

(ii)viewing residential properties to look for a property to buy or rent;

(iii)preparing a residential property to move in;

(iv)moving home;

(v)visiting a residential property to undertake any activities required for the rental or sale of that property;]

(m)to avoid injury or illness or to escape a risk of harm.

[F12(n)to use a waste or recycling centre.]

(3) For the purposes of paragraph (1), the place where a person is living includes the premises where they live together with any garden, yard, passage, stair, garage, outhouse or other appurtenance of such premises.

(4) Paragraph (1) does not apply to any person who is homeless.

[F13(5) For the purposes of paragraph (2)(ba), “public open space” includes—

(a)land laid out as a public garden or used for the purpose of recreation by members of the public;

(b)land which is “open country” as defined in section 59(2) of the National Parks and Access to the Countryside Act 1949, as read with section 16 of the Countryside Act 1968;

(c)land which is “access land” for the purposes of Part 1 of the Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000 (see section 1(1) of that Act).]
I trust this clarifies the position.

As for the guidance regarding transport mode, we are asked to walk or cycle wherever possible, and reduce the use of cars or public transport. But for any journey where this is not possible (for example if the distance is too great, or any other reason), the Government ask that those of us who have access to a car, travel by car if at all possible. If none of these modes are practicable for your journey, you can still use public transport.

All forms of transport are subject to the legislation linked to above. The legislation quoted above is current but is due to be updated shortly to allow for groups of up to six people from Monday 1st June.

Note that the rules quoted above apply to England; different rules apply in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

Status
Not open for further replies.