• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coronavirus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
8:30pm it is for the PM to address the nation. Lockdown time.

Also strongly urging UK travellers overseas to return home now while they can still do so.
Shame I'm not allowed to watch it. No TV Licence. Unless the BBC have granted one of their exemptions.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Darandio

Established Member
Feels like it doesn't it? Just hope it isn't instant, I could do with grabbing a few more bits from the office which I'll happily do tonight after the announcement (the advantage of being a key holder!)...

It really does.

Presumably it would include the same caveats as other countries in terms of allowing people to buy groceries. The only fear I have is that everyone will then decide they all need to go out again tomorrow and stock up and we'll have moved no further forward.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Who’s going to know though? :p
I currently have at least eight TV Licencing investigations on-going. According to the letters they send on every fourth Thursday without fail. They never write to tell me that they have concluded an investigation and it's outcome.

londonmidland

Established Member
This is quite literally a life or death situation. I doubt anyone cares about having a TV license or not in this moment of time...

Stay updated, whichever way is the most convenient for you.

83A

8:30pm it is for the PM to address the nation. Lockdown time.

Also strongly urging UK travellers overseas to return home now while they can still do so.

Correct me if I’m wrong but a legal lockdown requires passing in parliament and that’s not happening until Thursday at the earliest ?

Tonight is a last warning ?

MP33

We will all know soon enough.

I work in Central London and we have had a teams briefing from the CEO and other senior managers. From what was said about personal circumstances and hearing from colleagues London is having it far worse than everywhere else.

I wonder if there will be extra restrictions for London only. Greater Anglia only running to Shenfield and Broxbourne and C2C only running to Upminster with no Tube and Overground.

Or going on what was said earlier, the PM will tell everyone that they are on their final public warning.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Correct me if I’m wrong but a legal lockdown requires passing in parliament and that’s not happening until Thursday at the earliest ?

Tonight is a last warning ?
I’d have thought that we’ve had the last warning, which I don’t think was a last warning anyway really because this was always going to happen.

83A

I’d have thought that we’ve had the last warning, which I don’t think was a last warning anyway really because this was always going to happen.

Yes but Im pretty sure Boris cant just say stay at home or else. It needs to be passed in law.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Yes but Im pretty sure Boris cant just say stay at home or else. It needs to be passed in law.
Yes I agree. I think it’ll be towards the end of the week to give it time to get through parliament and for people to prepare (here we go again) for not leaving their homes as much as possible.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I'll be travelling to my night shift while the announcement is going on. That could end up being an...interesting situation haha

Elwyn

Dearest Rosemary,

It was a limpid dreary day, hung as in a basket from a single dull star. I thank you for your letter. Outside, I perceive what may be a collection of fallen leaves tussling against a trash can. It rings like jazz to my ears. The streets are that empty. It seems as though the bulk of the city has retreated to their quarters, rightfully so. At this time it seems very poignant to avoid all public spaces. Even the bars, as I told Hemingway, but to that he punched me in the stomach, to which I asked if he had washed his hands. He hadn’t. He is much the denier, that one. Why, he considers the virus to be just influenza. I’m curious of his sources.

The officials have alerted us to ensure we have a month’s worth of necessities. Zelda and I have stocked up on red wine, whiskey, rum, vermouth, absinthe, white wine, sherry, gin, and lord, if we need it, brandy.

Please pray for us. You should see the square, oh, it is terrible. I weep for the damned eventualities this future brings, the long afternoons rolling forward slowly on the ever-slick highball. Z says it’s no excuse to drink, but I just can’t seem to steady my hand. In the distance, from my brooding perch, the shoreline is cloaked in a dull haze where I can discern an unremitting penance that has been heading this way for a long, long while. And yes, amongst the cracked cloud line of an evening’s cast, I focus on a single strain of light, calling me forth to believe in a better morrow.

Faithfully yours F Scott Fitzgerald

The above was written by Fitzgerald 100 years ago in 1920 when quarantined in France with Spanish flu. Cabin fever, panic buying (of booze), hand washing, folk still frequenting bars and writing it off as a minor flu. No shortage of toilet paper, but otherwise does this ring any bells?

dgl

Established Member
As badger would have said "serious potatoes", was going to pay a cheque in tomorrow but I guess that is off now!
Was also going to go for a long walk tomorrow but I guess that is also off the cards now

bussnapperwm

Established Member
As badger would have said "serious potatoes", was going to pay a cheque in tomorrow but I guess that is off now!
Was also going to go for a long walk tomorrow but I guess that is also off the cards now

I need to put some money in the bank as my balance is £0 and get some food (as everytime my brother went shopping this last couple of weeks, hardly anything was on the shelf!)

MP33

I will now not going down the station at 5.30 am to get my Metro. Today there were very few and it may not be delivered anyway.

This afternoon the fellow who had visitors yesterday for Mothers day spent some time washing and hoovering his car. I wonder were he expected to go?

A steady stream of ambulances have been going past all day heading towards the General Hospital.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I will now not going down the station at 5.30 am to get my Metro. Today there were very few and it may not be delivered anyway.

This afternoon the fellow who had visitors yesterday for Mothers day spent some time washing and hoovering his car. I wonder were he expected to go?

I now expect daily updates from you on what this guy is up to.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Lockdown. Better late than never. I just hope it isn't too late.

Lets worry about making sure everyone is OK rather than waste time arguing though. That is more important. I suspect we have people here who are single, at risk, isolated and/or don't have many people to look out for them.

Lets check in often and make sure people are ok.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Lockdown. Better late than never. I just hope it isn't too late.

Lets worry about making sure everyone is OK rather than waste time arguing though. That is more important. I suspect we have people here who are single, at risk, isolated and/or don't have many people to look out for them.

Lets check in often and make sure people are ok.

Agreed.

Finding things tough? Post here and tell us. You certainly won't be alone.

_toommm_

Established Member
Genuine question...

I'm in my uni accomodation still. Would I be fined if I was to travel home this weekend with all my stuff? I would hope not!

EDIT: I'm sure it's not a straightforward answer and would merely like people's opinions please!

MP33

I now expect daily updates from you on what this guy is up to.

He will be acting as the idiot which he was doing before the crisis started.

No doubt he will set out in the morning for his essential shopping, a copy of the Daily Mail.

hooverboy

On Moderation
Hopefully it will be about anything other than locking down London. I live in London and although I don't have anywhere I need to go outside London I don't like the idea of being on lockdown. If I go outside I don't want to have to answer to a police officer/soldier as to what I am doing.
you may have to.

for the majority of people on this forum they work in transport,so as long as you can prove you are who you say you are, do what you say you do,and going to where you say you are going, it will be ok.

you need to check right now as to whether you are part of the core services.
I said on another post that ID's will be rolled out shortly for those doing those jobs.

for non-core activities, the authorities may roll out some form of online/written permit to conduct your comings and goings.

Status
Not open for further replies.