Correct procedure when travelling on outside Oyster validity.

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by tom73, 11 Sep 2019.

1. tom73

tom73 Member

Example:
    Purchasing a Feltham-Staines ticket at Waterloo to board a train for Staines.
    Touch in at Waterloo. Feltham is the Oyster border hence the additional ticket.
    Is one supposed to leave the train at Feltham to touch out or simply carry on.
    I am thinking of difficulty using the Oyster on first touch in back in London.

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

It's unclear what you are using the Oyster medium for; therefore it's not possible to answer the question without clarifying this.

If you are using Oyster PAYG then the answer is that you must tap in and out; if you were to carry on then you will be charged a maximum fare. In the reverse direction you will be liable for a Penalty Fare or prosecution.

If you are using a Travelcard, then regardless of the medium in which it is held, there is no requirement for the train to call at any intermediate station and no requirement to tap out.

4. tom73

tom73 Member

Using the Oyster for travel between Waterloo and the Zone 6 boundary (Feltham) plus a Feltham-Staines return ticket. No Travelcard.

5. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

In that case see my paragraph above relating to PAYG.

This isn't an Oyster issue per se; it applies equally to the use of Contactless for PAYG journeys.

Oyster is just a medium, not a product in itself

6. JonathanH

JonathanH Established Member

In the case of Feltham, there are (or certainly were) readers on the platforms which you could use. These are at the 'night gates', ie about the middle of a westbound train and back of an eastbound train. You may have time to get off, touch out / in and continue your journey.

7. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

I’m not familiar with Feltham station but if the readers are by the night gates they might not be operational when the night gates are shut.

8. JonathanH

JonathanH Established Member

I don't think that any Oyster readers located on platforms get switched off at any time. I think they remain live at all times.

Do you know of a counter-example?

9. Kite159

Kite159 Veteran Member

The readers at the bottom of the stairs at either Alexandra Palace are turned off when the main entrance is manned

10. Hadders

Hadders Established Member

At Highbury & Islington the platform validators on the Victoria Line are turned off when the Northern City Line isn’t operating. This is rare these days but used to be every weekday after 21:00 and all day at weekends.

11. MikeWh

MikeWh Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

I can confirm this, and it did cause some confusion the last time I was there.

12. mattdickinson

mattdickinson Member

The emergency flooding validators at Ruislip Manor are only activated when the ticket hall has been flooded.