• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cost of school uniforms

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
My school only had one supplier, which was about 3 miles away from the school. Jumpers at £20-30 a pop (different colour for Years 7-9 and 10-11), ties at a fiver each; then the year before I left they introduced blazers too (my year didn't have to buy them) which I think are the wrong side of £40. This was this decade.

The "it stops bullying" thing is a complete sham too; the kids who were obviously poorer were still noticeable and were still targeted for it. Uniforms are an unnecessary expense for parents.

Yes, the bullying thing is total bull poop. Kids who are from poorer backgrounds will always show up. It’ll be through their shoes, or the fact they smell, or their mannerisms, or anything really.

I went to a middle school (year 5-7) and the poor kids stood right out despite the uniform.

I also went to a selective boys’ grammar (year 8-13) and I was actually one of the poor kids there. It was a very middle class place, but a wonderful school with brilliant teachers.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D365

Veteran Member
It’s almost hypocritical; school claims that a standardised uniform prevents bullying, yet typically prices lower income parents out of buying new.

Not that student wellbeing is generally high on the list of management priority.

A Challenge

Established Member
At my school the girls now have to wear the school skirt (they didn't when I joined) which was a very big price jump and none of the girls liked it - in fact some went to wearing trousers!

Tom B

Established Member
The prices quoted above seem rather OTT - I order workplace clothing, and jumpers for example cost in the region of £12 and that's on a relatively low quantity. As children are growing there's not the need for top quality as it will be grown out of or get damaged at school anyway.

D365

Veteran Member
The prices quoted above seem rather OTT - I order workplace clothing, and jumpers for example cost in the region of £12 and that's on a relatively low quantity. As children are growing there's not the need for top quality as it will be grown out of or get damaged at school anyway.

Ours were priced at least £20 per jumper before the universally acclaimed switch to blazers....

Willr2094

At my primary schools the only bit of uniform you had was the branded sweatshirt (and branded polo shirt for my junior school), which you bought through the school. The uniform in my junior school was this:
Royal blue poloshirt embroidered with the school's crest (basically the family crest of the local landowner - my junior school was in a village) - only available through the school
Royal blue sweatshirt - again embroidered with the same crest as the polo shirt - only available through the school
Either black or dark grey trousers
Black shoes (no other colours were allowed) in a 'sensible' (their EXACT word) style
PE Kit - here there was a lot more flexibility than secondary school - it could be either a white T shirt and shorts or a tracksuit.
At secondary school, it was as follows:
Blazer (could be bought from the official school outfitters but a standard one from a High Street shop was acceptable, however it had to be a navy blue one)
Tie (bought from the school) which was navy blue and yellow (Once you reached Year Eleven you got to wear a grey tie if you had been made Prefect, Head Boy, Head Girl or Deputy Head Boy and Girl).
Badge (bought from the school - had to be sewn on separately to the blazer).
Trousers (Like the blazer - could be bought from the outfitters but supermarket/High Street ones were acceptable) - these had to be either black or dark grey.
Shoes (HAD to be either black or brown leather - no trainers allowed)
PE Kit - in the case of the boys it was as follows:
Indoor PE Kit (also to be worn outdoors in summer) white T-shirt, white shorts, white socks and white trainers
Outdoor PE Kit (Autumn to Spring) Navy blue rugby shirt, navy shorts, navy socks and football boots

Additionally in my secondary school we also had to wear colour coded badges referencing the colours of our school house - these were given out free.

Last edited:

Established Member
When I went to secondary school, my Dad bought my blazer, jumper, tie and blazer badge (which had to be ironed on) from a dedicated uniform supplier in the city centre. Everything else came from Tesco.

My daughter is due to start secondary school in 2021, and out of interest I've had a look at the prices at the same shop. The blazer is £25, the jumper and cardigan are both £15 and the tie is £6, so I don't think a full uniform is going to be cheap!

underbank

Established Member
Don't most schools have a school shop where you can buy second hand uniforms? Mine did when I was at school 40 years ago, and my son's does today. They encourage you to hand in the stuff you've grown out of, and everything else, once you leave and then re-sell it, along with unclaimed lost property items. I looked in at my son's when he started and saw they were selling blazers at a tenner, ties for £2.50, and most other items (trousers etc) for around a fiver - rack after rack of it. Looked to be some really good looking stuff in there that you wouldn't think had been worn.

Established Member
Don't most schools have a school shop where you can buy second hand uniforms? Mine did when I was at school 40 years ago, and my son's does today. They encourage you to hand in the stuff you've grown out of, and everything else, once you leave and then re-sell it, along with unclaimed lost property items.

My daughter's school does this, which I think is a good idea.

Willr2094

Don't most schools have a school shop where you can buy second hand uniforms? Mine did when I was at school 40 years ago, and my son's does today. They encourage you to hand in the stuff you've grown out of, and everything else, once you leave and then re-sell it, along with unclaimed lost property items. I looked in at my son's when he started and saw they were selling blazers at a tenner, ties for £2.50, and most other items (trousers etc) for around a fiver - rack after rack of it. Looked to be some really good looking stuff in there that you wouldn't think had been worn.

My secondary school did establish a school shop during my time there. It sold (amongst other things) replacement ties and blazer badges. It was a good idea because it meant that you could stock up on any supplies when required during the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.