• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could dual mode vehicles have an application in the UK?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Western 52

In Japan the Asa Seaside Railway is trialling a dual mode vehicle. Essentially a minibus with added rail guide wheels, it can change modes in 15 seconds. Could this idea work in the UK, and if so, how and where?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

zwk500

Veteran Member
I should think crashworthiness standards for rail vehicles would probably make it cost-prohibitive here. Any line it would be viable on would likely be better converted to a guided busway to allow the bus to serve a wider area.

busmanaams

In Japan the Asa Seaside Railway is trialling a dual mode vehicle. Essentially a minibus with added rail guide wheels, it can change modes in 15 seconds. Could this idea work in the UK, and if so, how and where?
Wasn't this tried on the Worcester branch about twenty years go using a converted Leyland National bus? As with the single railcar experiments in the 1960s, I don't think BR had their heart in the exercise.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I believe my local line needs this Dual Mode Vehicle urgently.
The Barton Line exists as it used to connect with the New Holland to Hull Ferry, it had a frequent service until the Humber Bridge opened, since then a dwindling service to Barton for awkward bus connections to Hull has been it's only purpose, the Humber Flyer Bus runs from Cleethorpes to Grimsby, Barton and Hull hourly cheaply, the Barton Line train is usually cancelled, but when it does run it's Cleethorpes, Grimsby, to Barton only runs every 2 hours and costs a lot more, with the added bus change.

This railbus would allow a Cleethorpes to Hull train to exist again, and the Barton line would be more sustainable. They are suited only for lightly used lines which do not reach the intended destination.

RSimons

Light trucks (F150 or similar) with railway guide wheels are used a lot by track maintenance crews here in Canada. My understanding is that the small diameter of the wheels means that they are not completely reliable over pointwork and larger diameter wheels would add to the weight. I believe there was a similar problem with the roadrailers used in Britain in the 1960s.

Western 52

Light trucks (F150 or similar) with railway guide wheels are used a lot by track maintenance crews here in Canada. My understanding is that the small diameter of the wheels means that they are not completely reliable over pointwork and larger diameter wheels would add to the weight. I believe there was a similar problem with the roadrailers used in Britain in the 1960s.
It would be interesting to see how they've got round the small wheel issue in Japan. Maybe some clever technology? The vehicles appear to be running there without reports of any derailment risk.

A0wen

On Moderation
Wasn't this tried on the Worcester branch about twenty years go using a converted Leyland National bus? As with the single railcar experiments in the 1960s, I don't think BR had their heart in the exercise.

I think this is what you are referring to:

A set of pictures of a modified Bristol LH which could run on road and rails being trialled on the West Somerset Railway in 1980.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
There are probably easier solutions to most of the places these could be useful in the UK.

We don't have rural lines like they have in Japan outside of the North of Scotland or Mid wales.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
There are probably easier solutions to most of the places these could be useful in the UK.

We don't have rural lines like they have in Japan outside of the North of Scotland or Mid wales.
Maybe it could solve the undemocratic issue where the elected Welsh Government dictates service provision on railway lines such as Hereford to Chester/Manchester solely in England while locals on the line have no voting power at all.

Transport for Wales could run a Cardiff to Swansea and Carmarthen service which uses road to Aberystwyth and again from Pwllheli to Bangor... but then again a bus would probably be able to do the journey faster and cheaper, if anyone actually travelled from North to South Wales anyway.
-

Still think the Barton Line is perfect for it.

-
In Scotland though it raises the possibility of the railbuses then going on to ferries to islands.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
Ultimately I could see road railers being used for freight shunt operations - but those are hardly common on the modern railway.

If we still had a wagonload freight business they could simplify trip freight operations since they only need a path in a direction when they are actually hauling wagons

busmanaams

I think this is what you are referring to:

A set of pictures of a modified Bristol LH which could run on road and rails being trialled on the West Somerset Railway in 1980.
Sorry, but no. It was without doubt a converted Leyland National. It was part of a programme of Leyland to find other uses for the model. Not only were there a train, but also an ambulance and a rural travelling doctor. However, on reflection, it was not at Worcester. Could it be Stourbridge?

A0wen

On Moderation
Sorry, but no. It was without doubt a converted Leyland National. It was part of a programme of Leyland to find other uses for the model. Not only were there a train, but also an ambulance and a rural travelling doctor. However, on reflection, it was not at Worcester. Could it be Stourbridge?

The only other thing I can think of were the LEV railbuses, but they were only rail - so whilst in appearance they looked alot like a National, they were in fact mounted on rail running gear.

Details here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_railbuses

If not then I'm not sure what you're thinking of and, surprisingly, the internet doesn't seem to be conjuring up any suggestions either.

PaulLothian

I saw a report on the Japanese vehicle recently on TV. What struck me was that with rail guide wheels at each end, and with road wheels set well in, in road configuration it bucketed along like a Calmac ferry in a storm - made me travel-sick to watch it!

Status
Not open for further replies.