• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could SailRail become popular again?.

Status
Not open for further replies.

james60059

With the Covid-19 seriously impacting air travel, could SailRail tickets between the UK and Republic of Ireland, as well as to Europe make a resurgence?. Would customers feel more comfortable travelling by train and ferry than squeezing onto an aircraft?. I know for a time back in 2010, the route via Fishguard became quite busy with air travel being disrupted by that volcano in Iceland, but with Covid-19 looking to be more mid-term than short term, could this have a positive impact on the train and ferry option, albeit being a lot longer in journey times.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It's certainly quite easy to distance on a ferry, as they tend to operate well under capacity because they run out of car space before they run out of people space.

shopbford

If promoted better then no reason why not. There are also quite a few like myself who now cannot fly for medical reasons. I have a few plans to travel when it is safe, some using just the train (Eurostar) and others the ferry - have a plan to do train to Plymouth/Portsmouth & ferry to Santander/Bilbao.

cactustwirly

Established Member
It's certainly quite easy to distance on a ferry, as they tend to operate well under capacity because they run out of car space before they run out of people space.

Depends on the design of the ferry.
Visentinis such as the one used on the Pompey - Le Havre route are designed to carry freight primarily and have smaller passenger spaces, and as such feel 'cosy' on busy crossings.

Loading of passengers is often done via a bus into the car decks, this would be very impractical with social distancing.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Could it? Yes. Will it? Not unless operators are compelled to make it viable.

Ferry operators get very little revenue from rail & sail passengers compared to freight and car passengers. The only possible opportunity for additional revenue is the fact that rail and sail passengers aren't getting behind the wheel of a car after the crossing, so might be minded to drink a few more rounds in the bar. But otherwise, there is currently no financial incentive to develop the market.

(As an aside, Stena Line have completely stopped accepting foot passengers on the Harwich / Hoek van Holland crossing, blaming the difficulties ensuring social distancing).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
No chance.

For a typical flight to Europe, you are in a metal tube close to other people for between one and two hours.

For ‘Sail Rail’, you would be in a metal tube close to other passengers for 1-2hours just to get to the ferry. Then when you have got to the ‘continent’, on another metal tube for at least 1-2hours, or more likely several more if you’re going anywhere further than 100miles from a channel port.

superjohn

(As an aside, Stena Line have completely stopped accepting foot passengers on the Harwich / Hoek van Holland crossing, blaming the difficulties ensuring social distancing).
Really? There is no mention of this on the extensive Covid page on their website, in fact an FAQ entry states quite the opposite. I was also still able to proceed with a dummy foot passenger booking next week.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Really? There is no mention of this on the extensive Covid page on their website, in fact an FAQ entry states quite the opposite. I was also still able to proceed with a dummy foot passenger booking next week.

Good news if I’m wrong... was informed by a customer engaging with Stena Line on Twitter, but I now can’t find the source.

Veteran Member
No chance.

For a typical flight to Europe, you are in a metal tube close to other people for between one and two hours.

For ‘Sail Rail’, you would be in a metal tube close to other passengers for 1-2hours just to get to the ferry. Then when you have got to the ‘continent’, on another metal tube for at least 1-2hours, or more likely several more if you’re going anywhere further than 100miles from a channel port.
Unless I am much mistaken, the airborne metal tube is likely to have a much higher loading than the railborne one(s).

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Unless I am much mistaken, the airborne metal tube is likely to have a much higher loading than the railborne one(s).
Possibly. Possibly not. SNCF have withdrawn all social distancing measures on their services as of last week, except for masks. GB rail won’t be far behind, in my opinion.

Last edited:

DanielB

Depends on which country GB is following with regards to the measures taken. When taking the ferry to Hoek van Holland, social distancing is still to be practiced as much as possible in the onward transport by RET metro and any other public transport.
Although because now more capacity is needed to enable starting up the economy again, face masks have become mandatory and the advice is to only use the window seats (marked by green stickers in every vehicle)

duesselmartin

Established Member
It seems most If your arguements revolve around social distancing.
Assuming that this is a short term measure which is hopefully lifted by 2021, the financial costs of changing operation is just too big.
Mass tourism and social distancing will not work so this summer will be an interesting experiement with many countries opening again.
I would assume that this crisis will be overcome and old travel patterns will emerge again.

317 forever

Established Member
I have had to cancel a holiday in Ireland this month due to the lockdown. When I do eventually go, I might use the ferry before staying in Dublin, then fly back once I have stayed further out eg in Donegal.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
I am reminded by this conversation of the Stena Line "Landbridge" package. Marketed to residents of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, it comprises a package of car ferry tickets to cross both the Irish Sea and the Channel, so you can drive across Britain to reach continental Europe.

What was disappointing was that Stena Line have never seen the opportunity to offer similar SailRail fares that bridge Ireland to the Netherlands, or to work with rail operators to join the dots between a morning arrival into Holyhead and an evening departure from Harwich. The Anglia Railways / ONE / Greater Anglia "Dutch Flyer" is a pretty limited offer, given the great opportunity to funnel passengers through Harwich.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
What was disappointing was that Stena Line have never seen the opportunity to offer similar SailRail fares that bridge Ireland to the Netherlands, or to work with rail operators to join the dots between a morning arrival into Holyhead and an evening departure from Harwich. The Anglia Railways / ONE / Greater Anglia "Dutch Flyer" is a pretty limited offer, given the great opportunity to funnel passengers through Harwich.

Harsh reality is that the market for such tickets is probably tiny!

craigybagel

Established Member
I am reminded by this conversation of the Stena Line "Landbridge" package. Marketed to residents of Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, it comprises a package of car ferry tickets to cross both the Irish Sea and the Channel, so you can drive across Britain to reach continental Europe.

At least with rail and sail on the Irish sea, you can book to any station on the national rail network, so a Dublin - Harwich International ticket is available, and I would suspect is very recently priced (when compared to a Holyhead - Harwich ticket. I can't access the actual prices as they've disappeared, presumably because Stena have temporarily withdrawn Rail and Sail). This would surely cover the very limited market?

paul1609

Established Member
I get the impression from talking to rail/ ferry staff on my sailrail journeys that the whole sailrail market is tiny and of what there is 99% of that is from major cities (London, Manchester etc)to Dublin or Belfast. Id imagine it only still exists because of political considerations rather than making a business case for the operators. Certainly on my trips across the Irish Sea foot passengers on the terminal bus at Holyhead rarely make it much above double figures and Ive never seen a full bus. My last return trip three of us got on the early morning Voyager at Holyhead.

_toommm_

Established Member
At least with rail and sail on the Irish sea, you can book to any station on the national rail network, so a Dublin - Harwich International ticket is available, and I would suspect is very recently priced (when compared to a Holyhead - Harwich ticket. I can't access the actual prices as they've disappeared, presumably because Stena have temporarily withdrawn Rail and Sail). This would surely cover the very limited market?

Dublin to Harwich International is £50.00 for a SailRail Advance, or £55.50 for SailRail Standby.

vs.

Holyhead to Harwich International is £95.00 for the Any Permitted Off-Peak Single, or £119.00 (Not Via London) / £215.00 (Any Permitted) for the Anytime Day Single

james60059

Some interesting replies, Thank You.
Certainly on my trips across the Irish Sea foot passengers on the terminal bus at Holyhead rarely make it much above double figures and Ive never seen a full bus. My last return trip three of us got on the early morning Voyager at Holyhead.

To be fair, the times I have travelled Fishguard - Rosslare, I have noticed the dwindling numbers as each year goes by. Last time I travelled, last September, the 11:00 SWA - FGH, which was a Class 150, wasn't even a quarter full, and even then most got off at FGW. Likewise, on the return, there was only 11 passengers boarding the for the trip back towards Cardiff.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The SailRail market is never going to be massive (its generally a long journey compared to flying, so needs people doing it for the journey itself to some extent rather than a means to an end), but I bet there are a reasonable number of people who would be inclined to use these tickets if they knew they existed and how to book them!

AlbertBeale

Established Member
The SailRail market is never going to be massive (its generally a long journey compared to flying, so needs people doing it for the journey itself to some extent rather than a means to an end), but I bet there are a reasonable number of people who would be inclined to use these tickets if they knew they existed and how to book them!

But since flying has to be massively reduced, then clearly there's scope - indeed a need - for expansion of Sail-Rail usage. I'd expect services which are reasonably seamless and integrated (eg many UK-Netherlands trips via Harwich and HvH) to be well-used if they were better promoted.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
  • Ireland - yes
  • IOM - yes
  • Holland - maybe for lads lads lads types breaks in Amsterdam
  • rest of Europe: no chance.

Flying/Eurostar is quicker and easier for most destinations and that wont change

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
But since flying has to be massively reduced, then clearly there's scope - indeed a need - for expansion of Sail-Rail usage. I'd expect services which are reasonably seamless and integrated (eg many UK-Netherlands trips via Harwich and HvH) to be well-used if they were better promoted.

Even if flying was massively reduced - which it won’t be - the proportion of people who would choose to use a sail rail option with ferry from Harwich to Holland vs use the Eurostar would be in the fractions of 1% region.

paul1609

Established Member
I understand that the through London to Amsterdam Eurostars have effectively killed the Harwich Sail-Rail business.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Holland - maybe for lads lads lads types breaks in Amsterdam

They’ll usually fly or Eurostar.

By way of anecdotal example, I know a group of girls who go to Amsterdam annually for a ‘ladies weekend away’. They always fly from Stansted, although thinking about the eurostar for next time. They live in Harwich.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Ferries are only really a viable transport choice in four situations:
  1. You need to take your car with you.
  2. Your origin and destination are near ferry ports.
  3. You can travel overnight on the ferry and use it as a replacement for a night's hotel stay.
  4. You are really not in a rush.
Beyond that, ferries are of limited passenger use compared to flying. Take London-Dublin. 2-3 hours on the plane (including faff to airport, etc) or 8 hours+ on sailrail.

That depends. DFDS have a decent share of the LADSLADSLADS market on Newcastle-Amsterdam, even though KLM fly it in under an hour. Getting hammered on the boat is part of the fun.

DarloRich

Veteran Member

By way of anecdotal example, I know a group of girls who go to Amsterdam annually for a ‘ladies weekend away’. They always fly from Stansted, although thinking about the eurostar for next time. They live in Harwich.

When I lived in Newcastle I did several overnights on the booze cruise from North Shields to Holland. Dear me. Flying would have been better for my liver!

That depends. DFDS have a decent share of the LADSLADSLADS market on Newcastle-Amsterdam, even though KLM fly it in under an hour. Getting hammered on the boat is part of the fun.

On the advice of my legal advisor I have no comment to make!

jamesontheroad

Established Member
  3. You can travel overnight on the ferry and use it as a replacement for a night's hotel stay.

5. You are travelling with a pet.​
We use Harwich/Hoek for different reasons* but on our Christmas trip home to England we met a lot of people travelling with pets who had been affected by pre-Christmas disruption to flights. One man had been unable to fly with easyJet (I forget why... pre-Covid reasons for travel disruption have become dim in my memory) so he took the train from Geneva to Hoek because he wanted to travel with his dog. Eurostar accepts only guide dogs and assistance dogs. No other pets. There are very clean and well-equipped kennels on both the Stena Brittanica and Stena Hollandica. If you have a dog, it's a lifeline for travelling GB/Europe without flying.

* I've posted this before: we can easily get an incredible €59.90 one-way ticket from Umeå in northern Sweden all the way to Schiedam C, including stopovers. From there, a SailRail ticket gets us to our UK destination.

Last edited:

craigybagel

Established Member
I get the impression from talking to rail/ ferry staff on my sailrail journeys that the whole sailrail market is tiny and of what there is 99% of that is from major cities (London, Manchester etc)to Dublin or Belfast. Id imagine it only still exists because of political considerations rather than making a business case for the operators. Certainly on my trips across the Irish Sea foot passengers on the terminal bus at Holyhead rarely make it much above double figures and Ive never seen a full bus. My last return trip three of us got on the early morning Voyager at Holyhead.

When I used to be a guard at a TOC that was an integral part of the Rail and Sail scheme, certainly those were the most common destinations!

However, before I worked on the railways I used to buy rail and sail tickets quite frequently between various local stations in South Yorkshire and Ireland. If the journey was starting in the UK, I used to buy them in advance, normally at a large station like Sheffield or Doncaster but even then trying to get the right ticket issued was usually a long process, often involving supervisors or other staff being summoned to provide assistance to try and make computer find the right fare. On at least one occasion I was sold a ticket to Dublin via Irish Ferries rather then my requested Stena Line (I avoid travel on the former as much as possible for various reasons, not least of which being my disapproval of the way they've treated their onboard staff but that's a separate rant in itself!) and I went with it as it wasn't worth any further argument.

By contrast, buying a ticket at Dublin Ferry port (or in the days of yore, Dun Laoighaire) was never an issue.

Dublin to Harwich International is £50.00 for a SailRail Advance, or £55.50 for SailRail Standby.

vs.

Holyhead to Harwich International is £95.00 for the Any Permitted Off-Peak Single, or £119.00 (Not Via London) / £215.00 (Any Permitted) for the Anytime Day Single

Thanks, as suspected that is indeed quite a saving even before you throw in a ferry ticket on top! I would expect the SailRail to be valid via London too, it's normally treated as an Any permitted to the best of my knowledge.

Beyond that, ferries are of limited passenger use compared to flying. Take London-Dublin. 2-3 hours on the plane (including faff to airport, etc) or 8 hours+ on sailrail.

5. You are travelling with a pet.​

6: it's a last minute trip where often the plane fares are extortionate
7: you don't have a passport or driving licence (you need one of those to fly, but if you're an Irish or British citizen you can travel between the two countries by ferry with a less formal form of ID
8: You work for the railway and are availing of your staff discount. Granted in this instance you're not buying a through Rail and Sail ticket but two separate tickets, but you can still make great savings over flying in this scenario.

All three of the above reasons have applied to me at some point.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
7: you don't have a passport or driving licence (you need one of those to fly, but if you're an Irish or British citizen you can travel between the two countries by ferry with a less formal form of ID

That depends which way you are flying and who you are flying with. BA don't insist on formal ID for domestic flights, including the south of Ireland. But if you're flying into Dublin you need to prove you're a UK or Irish citizen, which means a passport...

Status
Not open for further replies.