• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Could we see a new livery for LNER's retained '225s'? What would you like to see?

Status
Not open for further replies.

achmelvic

If there’s going to be 225 sets around for another 3-4yrs I hope they’ll get a repaint along with an internal tlc. Was never a fan of the VTEC swirl, much prefer the LNER livery on the Azuma’s, I wonder that that would look like on 91/Mk4’s?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
If there’s going to be 225 sets around for another 3-4yrs I hope they’ll get a repaint along with an internal tlc. Was never a fan of the VTEC swirl, much prefer the LNER livery on the Azuma’s, I wonder that that would look like on 91/Mk4’s?

I thought the Azuma scheme was what VTEC would've used but simply with 'LNER' branding instead.

43 302

Established Member
Not that dissimilar really. Either way I think there is a better chance of one set getting Swallow than the fleet gaining a new livery.
That sounds better, that set could then be used for the certain farewell tour.

I'm of the opposite opinion. I think the VTEC swirl is my favourite of the liveries they've worn (that'll upset the intercity purists).

I think the livery on Azumas is fine, but I think it's kinda boring in the intermediate coaches, it looks better at the front.

VT 390

Established Member
If they are only around for another few years it seems a waste of Money to re livery as the current one is not that bad, also the interior is quite good now, I prefer it to the 800/801 interiors.

Kurolus Rex

Bit undecided on the VTEC livery really. Looked awful on the HSTs (imo) but doesn't look quite so bad on the 225s. They look quite nice from the sides but overall i would argue they look better in a more understated but smart livery.

pdeaves

Established Member
In my 'money is no object' fantasy world I would like to see the 91s/Mk4s in a 'heritage' LNER livery (blue engine with 'teak-look' coaches or similar).

Back in the real world, I think they will be patched up as-is.

ScotTrains

My favourite was the GNER livery, followed by Intercity. I thought NXEC and EC liveries were rather dull and bland.

Virgin repainted their 47s into various heritage liveries before they were replaced, so perhaps we could have a few differently livered 225 sets.

alexl92

Established Member
I think the Virgin/LNER livery is absolutely dire. The shade of red on the 91s and Mk4s cheapens them and the swishing does it no favours. Would love to see a livery using a base colour similar to Express Passenger blue, but with lighter coloured lining. That or something green and cream, similar to LNER tourist stock, but a modern take. A teak vinyl on MK4s would look terrible and age very quickly unfortunately.

Speed43125

I think the Virgin/LNER livery is absolutely dire. The shade of red on the 91s and Mk4s cheapens them and the swishing does it no favours. Would love to see a livery using a base colour similar to Express Passenger blue, but with lighter coloured lining. That or something green and cream, similar to LNER tourist stock, but a modern take. A teak vinyl on MK4s would look terrible and age very quickly unfortunately.
My issue with recreating liveries from the past is the contrasting doors usually don't suit it. IC swallow or some of the whiter varieties of NSE livery (a la 442, 321 etc) look great, but that style of body length stripes interrupted by doors would look pretty poor to me, The virgin livery was fine IMO, but the red has since faded and as you say has a weathered cheapened look. The idea of blue stripes on the 1st coaches that fade in and out I think is good, but isn't as nice as on the shinkansens that I see it as inspired by because of the interrupting doors.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
I'm of the opposite opinion. I think the VTEC swirl is my favourite of the liveries they've worn (that'll upset the intercity purists).

I think the livery on Azumas is fine, but I think it's kinda boring in the intermediate coaches, it looks better at the front.
VTEC is second only to NXEC imo (I'd pay to have a full set painted in that).

GNER is pretty bland in comparison.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
If they are only around for another few years it seems a waste of Money to re livery as the current one is not that bad, also the interior is quite good now, I prefer it to the 800/801 interiors.

Yes, and that's why I doubt they will get a repaint other than a potential last minute Swallow repaint for a send-off tour

hexagon789

Veteran Member
VTEC is second only to NXEC imo (I'd pay to have a full set painted in that).

GNER is pretty bland in comparison.

GNER was the best of all the post-privitisation ECML operator liveries. NatEx was okay, East Coast grey was exactly that - grey

Doomotron

What about a lightly more 'square' version of the Azuma livery?

Alternatively, why don't we celbrate the lives of these trains by repainting each in a different livery from each operator, with the branding done similarly to the originals, but it says LNER instead?
  • Obviously one in Swallow, with LNER written in the same font as IC. I'd make the doors red for the regulations.
  • GNER, but with the G replaced with an L.
  • NXEC with the National Express branding replaced with something like 'londonnortheasternrailway'.
  • East Coast 'battleship grey' with LNER in the same font as the East Coast logos.
  • VTEC/LNER livery, as it already is.
I don't know how many are staying, so maybe these as well?
  • NXEC transitional livery (the blue with the white stripe) - the LNER logos would be in the stripe, like with NXEC.
  • 'Fictional' Azuma livery (Virgin)
  • The current Azuma livery.
  • Maybe BR Blue for the fun of it?

VT 390

Established Member
Yes, and that's why I doubt they will get a repaint other than a potential last minute Swallow repaint for a send-off tour
I agree having one set with the original Swallow Livery would be good similar to what they did with the HST but would not cost a lot compared to doing the whole lot.

Alternatively, why don't we celbrate the lives of these trains by repainting each in a different livery from each operator, with the branding done similarly to the originals, but it says LNER instead?
  • Obviously one in Swallow, with LNER written in the same font as IC. I'd make the doors red for the regulations.
  • NXEC with the National Express branding replaced with something like 'londonnortheasternrailway'.
  • East Coast 'battleship grey' with LNER in the same font as the East Coast logos.
  • NXEC transitional livery (the blue with the white stripe) - the LNER logos would be in the stripe, like with NXEC.

That would be awesome. So it won't happen.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I agree having one set with the original Swallow Livery would be good similar to what they did with the HST but would not cost a lot compared to doing the whole lot.

They could even cut costs further by doing a shorter set of 7 rather than 9 coaches + DVT, in a similar vein to the HST repaint.

You've been busy! :)

YorksLad12

Established Member
GNER was the best of all the post-privitisation ECML operator liveries. NatEx was okay, East Coast grey was exactly that - grey

The GNER 'stealth bomber' livery worked best on the 373 White Rose sets, probably because of the swept end on the units. I can't remember if it was the NatEx or East Coast off-cream livery, but they had red passenger doors on the electrics, deep grey doors on slam doors. Handy if you wanted to tell them apart from a distance!

As I recall, the HST sets that MML will be using won't be repainted, so you'll still see VTEC colours on the network.

Status
Not open for further replies.