• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Couple who live near railway are upset by noisy Class 37's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roose

Well at the minute the 37's are dragging in extra business that simply wouldn't be there if they weren't being used. Yes there are people being let down by the LHCS but at the minute it is that or nothing. It isn't like Cumbria is the only place in the country to have to put up with slightly unreliable loco hauled services. The rather larger suburban areas of Liverpool and Manchester have done in the past.
Excuse me for saying that this is a rather sniffy response.

It really isn't the past we are talking about. It's today!

(Well actually it's not today as the 37+LHCS don't run on a Sunday since there is less demand due to there being no service between Barrow and Whitehaven on the CC line but I am sure you get my drift.)

You later say that you don't imagine that 'they' have all bought cars in their thousands and I imagine that you are correct: for those going to school or college that is likely not to be an option while those travelling to the well-paid jobs in Ulverston, Barrow and Sellafield would be generally using the train as an alternative to driving in the rather nice cars that most will have. In the case of those from South Cumberland heading to jobs in Furness and those from the latter heading to Sellafield the train should provide a service that improves their quality of life rather than having to drive on the very poor A595 road between Dalton and Sellafield or the Corney Fell Road, little better than a farm track.

It's good that fans of the Class 37s can enjoy their days out but it should be at the expense of a reliable public service.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fowler9

Established Member
Excuse me for saying that this is a rather sniffy response.

It really isn't the past we are talking about. It's today!

(Well actually it's not today as the 37+LHCS don't run on a Sunday since there is less demand due to there being no service between Barrow and Whitehaven on the CC line but I am sure you get my drift.)

You later say that you don't imagine that 'they' have all bought cars in their thousands and I imagine that you are correct: for those going to school or college that is likely not to be an option while those travelling to the well-paid jobs in Ulverston, Barrow and Sellafield would be generally using the train as an alternative to driving in the rather nice cars that most will have. In the case of those from South Cumberland heading to jobs in Furness and those from the latter heading to Sellafield the train should provide a service that improves their quality of life rather than having to drive on the very poor A595 road between Dalton and Sellafield or the Corney Fell Road, little better than a farm track.

It's good that fans of the Class 37s can enjoy their days out but it should be at the expense of a reliable public service.

It wasn't at all a sniffy response. The Cumbrian coast is far less densely populated than Liverpool and Manchester both of which have had commuter services operated by locos on their last legs. I have had a pair of 20's from Huyton to Lime Street. If I enjoyed it or not is irrelevant, it was deemed acceptable for one of the UK's major cities.

HSTEd

Veteran Member
You post makes it seem like Class 37 haulage is here for the long term, when quite clearly it is not.
So this is the last job that the 37s will be assigned before they are scrapped?
Those dinosaurs will be leaving this task, and will be sent to spray clag into the sky somewhere else.

Bromley boy

Established Member
The pub with the best pub garden in Croydon (I think) had flats built overlooking the garden. The pub had objected to the planning application. The pub lost. A few years later and following complaints from the residents the pub is now forced to close the garden at something like 21:00. That IS unfair.

You must be talking about the Dog and Bull!?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.