• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coupling trains: which is safest?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepgreen

Established Member
It’s perfectly safe and it’s operationally easier that way.

Otherwise the guard would have to let everyone off, stop anyone from getting on. Close the doors. Allow the shunt, then let everyone on.
In that case (and I agree - it is perfectly safe), why are we exhorted to remain seated (assuming we are seated in the first place!)? This is also the case on Southern at, for example, Redhill.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TurbostarFan

On Moderation
I would think the problem is not so much that coupling with passengers on and standing is actually unsafe - it's that the announcement that they should 'remain seated' during the coupling process (when this is not possible) might lead the standing passengers to *think* it is unsafe for them.

I fully agree. Could this lead to someone pulling the emergency alarm or door release?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.