• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coventry to Leicester direct - but how?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuneatonmark

Midlands Connect is a Quango really and it does not have the money for this project. Network Rail did a sort of feasibility for it when looking at options to link the Leicester line to the northbound WCML for freight. However the curve from the underpass up to the station was too tight for freight hence the north chord was built. However the chord to enable reversal is feasible either into platform 1/2 or 6/7 . It makes no sense for this service to miss out Nuneaton, Bedworth or Hinckley, the smaller stations ok. The Coventry line also needs it’s speed increasing from the pedestrian 45mph that most of it is. Not sure it will ever happen but these projects need a strong business case, it will cost a lot of money and not including Nuneaton would damage the business case so why do it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

whhistle

On Moderation
Midlands Connect is a Quango really and it does not have the money for this project.
Might be worth calling Radio Leicester then as they've been reporting it all morning - or at least when I got to work and tuned in online.
There's been a suggestion it was off the cards, but is now back on.

It makes no sense for this service to miss out Nuneaton, Bedworth or Hinckley, the smaller stations ok.
You do realise down the line at Narborough, despite it's village status, it sees more passengers than Hinckley and Bedworth? If it stops at one, it will stop at the other or potentially alternate if there are two services an hour to Coventry.

Still not found anything in any other news outlet, but did find this: https://www.leicester.gov.uk/media/180873/leicester-and-leicestershire-rail-strategy.pdf
Interesting that it has the link (between the cities) listed.

Last edited:

backontrack

Established Member
Perhaps one way of doing this would be to build a line from Rugby to Leicester via Lutterworth?

backontrack

Established Member
One of the lines that should never have been closed?
Perhaps, yes. Perhaps the most direct link from Coventry/Rugby to Leicester, coupled with the fact that it also served a town (Lutterworth) which now has a population of about 10,000.

The trouble is that it's quite difficult to make a case for reopening the line nowadays because there are too many main roads in the way.

pt_mad

Established Member
Just can't see it. Once the bay platform is built at Coventry it will be 2tph weekdays Nuneaton to Coventry and 3tph Saturdays. So interchange at Nuneaton is going to be pretty convenient, even if a train misses it's booked connection due to late running.

It seems to be trying to solve a problem which won't really exist anyway by 2021.

Besides this, if it's true that the Nuneaton to Coventry is actually going to be a Nuneaton to Leamington Spa hourly service from this December, as is being speculated, then this itself is of huge benefit and straight away unlocks so much for anyone travelling from Leicester and the East to Reading, Oxford and the central South.

On a cost Vs benefit I would imagine there's many other projects which save a passenger more than the 10 minutes they will lose in interchange. Which hopefully will be around where it is by 2021. And if you needed a change of ends at Nuneaton anyway then there'd be hardly anything to gain for a huge outlay.

Last edited:

InTheEastMids

Once the bay platform is built at Coventry it will be 2tph weekdays Nuneaton to Coventry and 3tph Saturdays.

Looking at the timetable, I'd agree - improving the frequency, and taking a few minutes off the Nuneaton-Coventry leg (22 min for 10 miles? Seriously?) would be two ways to boost numbers. This would help prove you had a business case before you spent £££ on infrastructure.

Perhaps, yes. Perhaps the most direct link from Coventry/Rugby to Leicester, coupled with the fact that it also served a town (Lutterworth) which now has a population of about 10,000.

Lutterworth will grow significantly over the next 15 years, and a line could create a parkway station close to the proposed M1 J20a. It would also be a chance to add a rail freight interchange to Magna Park that would offer superb connection to Felixstowe and the post-HS2 WCML. However, this is not a re-opening, but an entirely new railway (that might use a few bits of old alignment). I should probably put the cooking sherry and crayons away... ;)

nuneatonmark

One much cheaper option is to wait until HS2 is built and then you can restore the flat junction across the now WCML so trains can reverse from platform one or two over to the Leicester line.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
One much cheaper option is to wait until HS2 is built and then you can restore the flat junction across the now WCML so trains can reverse from platform one or two over to the Leicester line.

I think that would still represent a fairly hefty re-remodelling of Nuneaton South Jn (de-canting the Fast Lines, etc) to get the necessary crossovers in (remembering that there'll still be a decent amount of freight etc. coming through), so may not be doable for a sensible business case until the lot next comes up for renewal, which I doubt would be for a number of years yet.

HLE

Established Member
The route is supposedly signalled for 60mph which could shave a minute or two off the current 20 minute journey time (which is what it really is)

Good connections at both Nuneaton and Coventry are what’s needed first.

kcajtam

Leicester to Rugby (Midlands County) - Between two currently open stations but avoiding Lutterworth

OR

Leicester to Rugby (GCR) - Between 2 closed GCR stations, with a stop at Lutterworth, and a section now taken over by the M1 (according to openrailwaymap.org)

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Counts were made as part of the shambles of PUG and the cosy deal twixt Railtrack and Virgin.

About 40 passengers max crossing Nuneaton - (on the busiest train) - so please build a business case accordingly....

pt_mad

Established Member
Counts were made as part of the shambles of PUG and the cosy deal twixt Railtrack and Virgin.

About 40 passengers max crossing Nuneaton - (on the busiest train) - so please build a business case accordingly....

Will this increase when the Coventry service extends to Leamington Spa? Wonder whether journey planners will route passengers from Leicester and East Anglia to change at Nuneaton for Banbury, Oxford, Reading, Southampton etc? Rather than staying on to Birmingham New St.

Question is, if you leave the Birmingham bound services at Nuneaton and change for Leamington, will you save enough time to get an earlier service from Leamington towards Reading (the one which has come via Solihull?) than the one you would have connected to via Birmingham had you stayed on at Nuneaton?

InTheEastMids

Will this increase when the Coventry service extends to Leamington Spa? Wonder whether journey planners will route passengers from Leicester and East Anglia to change at Nuneaton for Banbury, Oxford, Reading, Southampton etc? Rather than staying on to Birmingham New St.

Question is, if you leave the Birmingham bound services at Nuneaton and change for Leamington, will you save enough time to get an earlier service from Leamington towards Reading (the one which has come via Solihull?) than the one you would have connected to via Birmingham had you stayed on at Nuneaton?

I put Leicester-Oxford into the NRE app, and it already routes via Nuneaton-Coventry; as some ArrivaXC services call at Coventry.

Leicester to Rugby (Midlands County) - Between two currently open stations but avoiding Lutterworth

OR

Leicester to Rugby (GCR) - Between 2 closed GCR stations, with a stop at Lutterworth, and a section now taken over by the M1 (according to openrailwaymap.org)

Agree... better to build a new line based on current/projected demand centres, rather than trying to re-open an old one. Plus you'd need to hook it into the existing Network either West of Narborough or near Kilby Bridge junction. I can see the cost of this project going up faster than the US National Debt.

The section of the M1 was built in the mid-60s and the GCR didn't close until 1969, so the M1 isn't on the old GCR alignment. in fact, it's visible immediately west of the the M1 between J20 where it crosses the M1 on a metal bridge near Blaby. That bridge can only have been in use for about 4 years, which seems a bit crazy.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The Great Central was still there when the M1 was opened. You can see the bridge where it went over a couple of miles south of J21 and from a mile or so south of there to J20 the formation is still there on the west side. There are even a few bridges in there somewhere but it's grown some big trees and undergrowth so don't try looking for them if you're driving. You can also see on a map where the M1 jinks eastwards at J20 so the junction is clear of the formation. I'm not old enough to remember the M1 in use but I can remember my uncle pointing it out, must have been early to mid 1970s so relatively recently disused and still clearly visible. It must have been quite similar to the section that follows the WCML a few miles further south.

pt_mad

Established Member
I put Leicester-Oxford into the NRE app, and it already routes via Nuneaton-Coventry; as some ArrivaXC services call at Coventry.

Didn't realise it already routes via Coventry. Yes onto the XC Bournemouth which calls at Coventry. But I was thinking new connections at Leamington Spa will be created onto other XC services such as the Reading, which goes via Solihull and Leamington. So it's going up open up a lot more options?

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Didn't realise it already routes via Coventry. Yes onto the XC Bournemouth which calls at Coventry. But I was thinking new connections at Leamington Spa will be created onto other XC services such as the Reading, which goes via Solihull and Leamington. So it's going up open up a lot more options?

Subject , of course to pathing - on the flat - over the junctions at Coventry.

We all know how "aspirations" when faced with reality , come crashing down ..in a post HS2 world , it will be materially easier.

Anyway - as it is Friday - and time for an useless fact - Regional Railways had plans for a through Nottingham - Leicester - Coventry - Oxford - Bristol at one time,

pt_mad

Established Member
Subject , of course to pathing - on the flat - over the junctions at Coventry.

We all know how "aspirations" when faced with reality , come crashing down ..in a post HS2 world , it will be materially easier.

Anyway - as it is Friday - and time for an useless fact - Regional Railways had plans for a through Nottingham - Leicester - Coventry - Oxford - Bristol at one time,

Rail groups have announced that it will happen from December timetable. Through service Nuneaton to Leamington.

Doctor Fegg

Established Member

(Post-privatisation) Central Trains had plans for Nottingham-Oxford too - it even made it into the NRTT at one point, but never ran.

Inthewest

This is how.

It's an older article but still after the last post was made.

The new service wouldn't call at Nuneaton but Nuneaton Parkway, then likely swing round to join Nuneaton - Coventry line.

CW2

Established Member

This is how.

It's an older article but still after the last post was made.

The new service wouldn't call at Nuneaton but Nuneaton Parkway, then likely swing round to join Nuneaton - Coventry line.
This particularly made me smile:
"Should it be approved, the new station is earmarked for delivery in the next seven to 14 days."

SteveM70

Established Member
The problem for me with Cov to Leics is that neither station is close to the city centres, but both bus stations are. Factor in a frequent, relatively comfortable express coach with competitive pricing and you start to wonder whether a direct train would take much of the city to city traffic

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The problem for me with Cov to Leics is that neither station is close to the city centres, but both bus stations are. Factor in a frequent, relatively comfortable express coach with competitive pricing and you start to wonder whether a direct train would take much of the city to city traffic

Can't help but think a half hourly service with a change at Nuneaton will be more attractive than an hourly direct train.

Class 170101

Established Member
Can't help but think a half hourly service with a change at Nuneaton will be more attractive than an hourly direct train.
Some would prefer the direct train because connections aren't guaranteed now.

The problem with the direct train via the supposed Nuneaton Parkway would be the lack of connections at Nuneaton to the Northwest as Nuneaton wouldn't be served so you would end up with an hourly service between Coventry and Uneaton and another between Coventry and Leicester with only one going to Leamington which one would you choose bearing in mind you would upset and satisfy different groups of people but you couldn't satisfy both.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Admittedly based only on a map and passing through a couple of times, it seems to me Bermuda would be the ideal site for a park and ride being close to a main road with some spare land. Why not just stop there (and maybe rename it) instead of building a new station? Coventry-Nuneaton shuttles would continue to call there too.

Energy

Established Member
It will be both if they ever get the bay in at Coventry.
If they get the bay in at Coventry I believe it will make Leamington to Nuneaton 2tph, I have not heard plans for Coventry to Nuneaton to run as well as Leamington to Nuneaton.

Status
Not open for further replies.