• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid Redundancies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Both Avanti and TPE have said there will be no pay rise for this year. I expect that to be the case across the board. Hardly surprising but in the grand scheme of things I have no issue with it.

I don't think any company in the entire UK will give a pay rise this year, and many will have cuts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
That’s across every grade, not just traincrew - front line staff have worked in the main throughout this situation, putting our health and our families health at risk.

Our reward, or thanks?

Threats of Redundancy, pay freezes and a race to the bottom of our terms of service.

This is the thing, many staff have worked pretty hard this year especially covering for the massive levels of absence we’ve seen at times. Whilst on the other hand it’s inevitable people are going to have to be realistic, it’s going to be a hard sell for staff to be screwed over after having done their bit all year.

I don't think any company in the entire UK will give a pay rise this year, and many will have cuts.

There are places which have multi-year pay deals already agreed. London Underground managed to get one agreed just as this was kicking off.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This is the thing, many staff have worked pretty hard this year especially covering for the massive levels of absence we’ve seen at times. Whilst on the other hand it’s inevitable people are going to have to be realistic, it’s going to be a hard sell for staff to be screwed over after having done their bit all year.

Just not getting a pay rise is minor compared with the rest of the situation. If any Unions (and I know which specific one would) push for one, then I would wholly support anything put in place to finally crush it.

Not a single person in the UK should receive a pay rise this year; not me, not you, not Boris (yes, I know), not anyone. It's just not practical. Every business has suffered in some way.

LowLevel

Established Member
I think most of us are quite happy with a lack of pay rise. Our grade at my TOC are currently negotiating a mutual exchange of terms and conditions with the DfT via the TOC instead. The exception seem to be a small cadre who are amongst the same folk who think running empty trains for free is sustainable and actually a jolly good wheeze.

Established Member
Not a single person in the UK should receive a pay rise this year; not me, not you, not Boris (yes, I know), not anyone. It's just not practical. Every business has suffered in some way.

Well, it’ll disappoint you to know I’ve already had one.

What an exceedingly bitter comment. :rolleyes:

bramling

Veteran Member
Not so.

Are any operators planning to resume 100%? I believe the nearest is London Underground, and that isn’t quite 100% as there’s no W&C Line (I’ll ignore Night Tube). They’re not quite achieving it in practice as there are ad-hoc cancellations on the day, though since shielding ended some lines have been pretty close.

Last edited:

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think I might just take a moment to remind, everyone, of the Forum Rules and in particular those that appear under the heading "Respectful". Especially the following:

Respectful
  • We aim to create a friendly environment for all members, where individuals respect each other. Please ensure your contributions comply with this.
  • Do not post material which in any way discriminates against, or provokes, any person or group of persons.

I am somewhat concerned and disappointed to see that the first bullet above appears to have been forgotten by some posters on this thread. At the present incredibly difficult time I would hope that we might be able to cut each other a little slack and try to ensure that when we speak with other members we do so in a way which is friendly and respectful. I would remind all of you that the forum has a very powerful "Ignore" function (you can access this by going to a members user page and clicking ignore or by clicking their username in any thread and clicking ignore) and I would also remind you all that if you see things which concern you as their either break the rules or are otherwise of concern then please do not reply or engage and instead report it to the Forum Staff using the "Report" button found at the bottom of every post.

Regarding the second bullet point I would remind those contributing that we have a very large number of railway employees on this Forum (it is indeed one of our strengths and their contributions are valued by the Forum Staff) so when speaking about upcoming possible redundancies, worsening Terms and Conditions or similar you comments are very likely to be read by the people who may very well be worried about this happening. It would therefore be sensible to think, before you post, about how your comments might be received. This isn't to say that the topic is banned or taboo but just take a moment and think about the audience to your comments.

Many thanks,
ainsworth74

bramling

Veteran Member
Just not getting a pay rise is minor compared with the rest of the situation. If any Unions (and I know which specific one would) push for one, then I would wholly support anything put in place to finally crush it.

Pensioners got a decent increase this year, and look set for one next year too.

As it happens I’ve had a pay increase this year, and yes I’d be mildly peeved had I not had it. There hasn’t been an iota of thanks for having worked hard all year, not a day missed, not a day worked from home, so I don’t in the slightest feel guilty about it.

Last edited:

Established Member
Not bitter, realistic. This year and probably next, businesses should concentrate on rebuilding their resilience and reserves.

Incorrect. Some businesses (online retail especially) are having a sales bonanza this year.

Why does it always have to be a race to the bottom? If any group of workers (unionised or not) manages to get a pay rise this year, I say good on them!

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Are any operators planning to resume 100%? I believe the nearest is London Underground, and that isn’t quite 100% as there’s no W&C Line (I’ll ignore Night Tube). They’re not quite achieving it in practice as there are ad-hoc cancellations in the day, though since shielding ended some lines have been pretty close.

I don’t think so, except for those already there.

Established Member

As it happens I’ve had a pay increase this year, and yes I’d be mildly peeved had I not had it. There hasn’t been an iota of thanks for having worked hard all year, not a day missed, not a day worked from home, so I don’t in the slightest feel guilty about it.
I don’t think so, except for those already there.

SE are back to 98% according to their advertising blurb.

ST

Employees in particular sectors, some in the Public Sector, have been awarded bonuses and have been able to sell back leave at a premium, so it is not all bad as some would have you believe! I know a number of people whom work in IT and they are busier than ever amd having best ever years. Clearly a difficult time, but there needs to be a balanced view put forwards not some comments in my view which are scaremongering.

dctraindriver

Employees in particular sectors, Public Sector being one, have been awarded bonuses and have been able to sell back leave at a premium, so it is not all bad as some would have you believe! I know a number of people whom work in IT and they are busier than ever amd having best ever years. Clearly a difficult time, but there needs to be a balanced view put forwards not some comments in my view which are scaremongering.
A good post. I know many who are well under all this in the private sectors. We all know how horrific it is for many, but they’re are many who are holding their ground.

I have no doubt there will be redundancies however the realisation of how many jobs at a few of our depots are utilising drivers on overtime suggests certain posts will in the large be ok, even if services are cut back significantly.

theironroad

Established Member
I agree at there will be a considerable number of long in service staff who would happily take a VR then a early pension.

That’s across every grade, not just traincrew - front line staff have worked in the main throughout this situation, putting our health and our families health at risk.

Our reward, or thanks?

Threats of Redundancy, pay freezes and a race to the bottom of our terms of service.

Unfortunately the operators in the South, the London tied commuter operations are going to be hit worst unfortunately. Ironically operators like WC, EC, GWR and XC will probably be least effected as leisure travel slowly (very slowly) returns.

I heard yesterday that GWR intend to restore 100% (Dec 19) service level in Dec 20.

SWR have stated that aim is for 98% from Dec TT. I think all routes will finally be back to a pre covid TT less a few peak extras.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Well they have the triple lock to thank for that (State Pension will always go up by the greater of 2.5%, inflation measured by CPI or average increase in wages)! At the same time as working age benefits were slashed or frozen and, when first introduced, in the midst of wider government austerity and general economic sluggishness which meant that the first time earnings out performed the other two measures wasn't until the 2016/17 uprating (the measure having been introduced in 2011/12)! It's almost sacrilegious to say but Pensioners have been fairly well protected over the last ten years from a lot of the financial fall out. So unless there's a radical U-turn (can't be ruled out by this shower of course) they'll be guaranteed at least 2.5% next year as well!

seagull

Just out of curiosity - what have LNER and Avanti done with their on-board chefs?

They must be surplus to requirement at present considering everyone wears face masks on trains and there is no food/meal consumption.

CJ

Avanti chefs are back on board and have been for several weeks: the Pendolino breakfast consists of the pre-packed Voyager box plus freshly prepared scrambled egg, but that's what the chefs are doing in the mornings.
Masks are allowed to be removed for consuming food and drink.

bramling

Veteran Member
If any group of workers (unionised or not) manages to get a pay rise this year, I say good on them!

I’d make an exception for politicians. Their performance this year has been utterly lamentable.

Well they have the triple lock to thank for that (State Pension will always go up by the greater of 2.5%, inflation measured by CPI or average increase in wages)! At the same time as working age benefits were slashed or frozen and, when first introduced, in the midst of wider government austerity and general economic sluggishness which meant that the first time earnings out performed the other two measures wasn't until the 2016/17 uprating (the measure having been introduced in 2011/12)! It's almost sacrilegious to say but Pensioners have been fairly well protected over the last ten years from a lot of the financial fall out. So unless there's a radical U-turn (can't be ruled out by this shower of course) they'll be guaranteed at least 2.5% next year as well!

You could bet your life savings on them getting the 2.5%.

It’s completely unacceptable for pensioners to get anything more than inflation IMO.

Moose27

Dunno, if you work for a perspex screen manufacturer they'll have done well. :)

Plenty of TOCs are looking at going back to full(ish) timetables in Dec, and hopefully the direction of travel in 2021 will be towards living with covid.

Status
Not open for further replies.