• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razorblades

It's a pity people don't vote with their feet and not bother visiting Spain.

Given that roughly 85% of the adult population has been jabbed at least once, and possibly 50% of those are quite happy to be 'boosted' indefinitely, it's of no real consequence to overseas administrations if a minority of foreigners think they are behaving unethically and improperly, as the steady flow of sun-seekers is as healthy as ever (until the cost of living crisis really bites, that is).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
Given that roughly 85% of the adult population has been jabbed at least once, and possibly 50% of those are quite happy to be 'boosted' indefinitely, it's of no real consequence to overseas administrations if a minority of foreigners think they are behaving unethically and improperly,
Though it is more generally disturbing if people tolerate blatant xenophobia. This is certainly my main problem with it, rather than the question of whether unvaccinated people should be allowed to visit Spain.

If the policy was that all unvaccinated people, except Spanish citizens/residents, were denied access to Spain, it would, in my view at least, be less of a problem. Still unnecessary in my view, but at least it would not be discriminatory.

Last edited:

johnnychips

Established Member
Aside from the vaccination stuff, I found that in Catalonia on public transport it was very much take it or leave it. If security came round they would tell you to put your mask on in a non-aggressive way. A lot of people wore it below the nose. Buses were an exception as evidently you had to pass the driver, but the drivers didn’t check after.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Well I've just spent 18 hours or so in Germany, mostly travelling through Bayern.

Mask compliance at about 99.5%. However I did notice that messaging from staff was a little more gentle compared to Hamburg in July. No patronising announcements, just a couple of polite reminders for people to wear them.

Unfortunately that didn't stop one member of the public going absolutely hysterical at someone for not wearing one.

Thankfully, I've now moved onto Austria (and I'm staying in the Arlberg region) so all is back to normal.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Unfortunately that didn't stop one member of the public going absolutely hysterical at someone for not wearing one.
I take it that person didn't go into shops or anywhere else where masks not required then? These sort of people really are pathetic.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I take it that person didn't go into shops or anywhere else where masks not required then? These sort of people really are pathetic.
It was truly weird. Unfortunately a German friend tells me people follow the rules simply because they want to follow the rules, rather than for any discernible benefit.

Pleased to report, as others have said, that Switzerland is completely back to normal. Absolute pleasure as always

Richard Scott

Established Member
It was truly weird. Unfortunately a German friend tells me people follow the rules simply because they want to follow the rules, rather than for any discernible benefit.
That is exactly what many Germans are like hence why most comply and don't rebel against rules.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Well I've just spent 18 hours or so in Germany, mostly travelling through Bayern.

Mask compliance at about 99.5%. However I did notice that messaging from staff was a little more gentle compared to Hamburg in July. No patronising announcements, just a couple of polite reminders for people to wear them.
On a recent trip to Belgium I strayed across the border to Aachen on one of the Belgian EMUs. I'd completely forgotten about masks and was perplexed when everyone that got on for the return journey was wearing one. Not one person wore one on the outward journey and nor did the Belgian train crew who clearly weren't interested. The situation in Germany is just so bizarre. What do they think it achieves?

Razorblades

On a recent trip to Belgium I strayed across the border to Aachen on one of the Belgian EMUs. I'd completely forgotten about masks and was perplexed when everyone that got on for the return journey was wearing one. Not one person wore one on the outward journey and nor did the Belgian train crew who clearly weren't interested. The situation in Germany is just so bizarre. What do they think it achieves?

I believe that we're well beyond the point that we can apply rationality to any of this; it's gradually being exposed for the farce that it is, the 'face-covering' is slowly but surely slipping.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I believe that we're well beyond the point that we can apply rationality to any of this; it's gradually being exposed for the farce that it is, the 'face-covering' is slowly but surely slipping.
I agree. I felt that all the rules and restrictions were futile almost from day one. What I'm struggling with is that anyone still goes along with it. Don't German people look at what's going on in other countries and wonder why they are still wearing masks but no one else bothers?

Razorblades

I agree. I felt that all the rules and restrictions were futile almost from day one. What I'm struggling with is that anyone still goes along with it. Don't German people look at what's going on in other countries and wonder why they are still wearing masks but no one else bothers?
There is so much suspension of disbelief going on, it's hard to know how to reconnect certain populations with reality.

Eyersey468

Established Member
I think a lot of the problem was governments felt they had to be seen to do something, regardless of how effective that something was

Richard Scott

Established Member
When I was in Germany compliance varied across the country. Around Berlin was about 75% except S-Bahn, which on some trains was barely 50%. In the Western areas compliance was almost 100% but still the odd rebel about!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I didn't realise that Italy had already scrapped their entry requirements, so does that only
leave Spain and the Netherlands with vaccine/test mandates for arrivals in the entire EU?
As of yesterday, the Netherlands have scrapped the vaccine requirement for all, meaning you no longer require proof of a vaccination to enter the country. Amongst Europe this leaves Spain as even more of an outlier now.

flymo

Established Member
I recently returned from a trip back to Asia, taking in Singapore and Philippines via Doha with Qatar Airways and then Scoot from SG. Masks were required to be worn on all of the flights except when eating or drinking, this was enforced more on Scoot than QR. In airports, it was not enforced except in Clark in Phils.

At check in for Singapore in London, proof of vaccination at check in was required but no pre-departure tests or any on-arrival tests were needed for either place, straight out after completing the necessary immigration etc. Same on departure, no tests needed. At Changi at check-in for Phils, had to show the Gov health app to prove i'd been registered for arrival, had to show proof of vax status at security on arrival.
In Singapore there is still a need to wear a mask on public transport and in a medical institutions but not otherwise, generally I reckon about 60% of people still wear them in shopping malls etc out of choice.
Philippines is its generally required for masks outdoors and still getting hand sanitized if you go indoors. It is a bit hitty-missy though, this was Clark airport though not Manila.
I would normally have gone through HK to Phils, but that place is still nuts so SG won. Glad I did too.

All in all, pretty much what I expected, SG was a breeze, would go via there anytime. Restrictions will be further relaxed soon I believe if they haven't already been

Bikeman78

Established Member
As of yesterday, the Netherlands have scrapped the vaccine requirement for all, meaning you no longer require proof of a vaccination to enter the country. Amongst Europe this leaves Spain as even more of an outlier now.
As with all the Covid theatre, it was pointless anyway. I travelled to Belgium by Eurostar and then on local train across the border. No one ever checked if I had been vaccinated. I bet no one checked on the direct Eurostars to Amsterdam either.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just three days after Spain announced its entry restrictions would be extended and not expire for two more months, the Spanish state broadcaster has announced the news this evening that the government are to remove entry restrictions later tonight.

Still believe the mask mandates will persist however…
I believe that now makes Luxembourg the only country in Europe with vaccination entry requirements. It's unclear whether they are actually enforced though - and there are no entry requirements at all if arriving by land. Just goes to highlight once again how capricious and arbitrary these rules are.

Eyersey468

Established Member
Just three days after Spain announced its entry restrictions would be extended and not expire for two more months, the Spanish state broadcaster has announced the news this evening that the government are to remove entry restrictions later tonight.

Still believe the mask mandates will persist however…
Is anyone able to translate that please? I'm not fluent in Spanish and the only articles I can find online say about removing the requirement for the locator form

westv

Established Member
It sounds like we'll still need a vaccination certificate to visit Spain. :rolleyes:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That's how I read it as well
No, the announcement says (translated):
With the improvement of the epidemiological situation, Health eliminates health controls at all points of entry to Spain.
And the sub-quoted Tweet says:
Starting tomorrow, passengers entering Spain by plane or boat will no longer have to show their Covid passport or traveler's form.

westv

Established Member
I'm still reading elsewhere that rules for the unvaccinated to Spain have been dropped but the proof of vaccine for those done is still needed!!

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
There’s been some quite lengthy discussion about it on Twitter; but it’s been widely concluded that the entire requirement has been dropped because the inspection regime was via this form.

The legal requirement was that the form was completed but in order to complete the form you had to submit a negative test or a vaccine passport.

kristiang85

Established Member
British people (as non EU) will need to have a triple vaccination, or proof of recovery, or negative PCR, however the form to log this has gone.

However, there will be spot checks...

That's what I'm seeing.

westv

Established Member
There hasn't been a need for some time for the vaccinated to log anything. Just bring proof of vaccination. If the unvaccinated no longer need (or are unable to) log anything now then surely Spain should make it all 100% obvious. It makes no sense to say the vaccinated need proof but the unvaccinated don't.

I’ve recently come back from Venice in Italy, and they are still pretty pro mask. Nothing required to enter the country, but masks on public transport were being very strongly enforced. On the water taxis, staff would demand masks be on, including over the nose, and refused entry to people without masks. One staff member said “no mask, no entry, no exemption”. If you took your mask off on the outside deck area, staff would shout at you to put the mask back on. Some of the tourist attractions had signs saying masks strongly recommended. At St Marks cathedral, there were signs saying masks to be worn at all times. Most people adhered to this when going in, but removed their masks once past the entrance. Lots of redundant signs in shops and attractions saying masks to be worn, and lots of social distancing stickers. Felt like going back in time to January. It didn’t spoil my holiday but it was very irritating. My relief to be home was very short lived though, thanks to a 2.5 hour BA flight delay thanks to the Funeral, and the Elizabeth line being down!

greyman42

Established Member
I’ve recently come back from Venice in Italy, and they are still pretty pro mask. Nothing required to enter the country, but masks on public transport were being very strongly enforced. On the water taxis, staff would demand masks be on, including over the nose, and refused entry to people without masks. One staff member said “no mask, no entry, no exemption”. If you took your mask off on the outside deck area, staff would shout at you to put the mask back on.
I have absolutely no idea why people are paying good money to visit these places while they still have these ridiculous rules. If people voted with their feet, they would soon drop these requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.