• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cdd89

Established Member

A holiday cruise ship carrying about 800 passengers with Covid-19 has docked in Sydney, Australia.
The Majestic Princess cruise ship arrived at Circular Quay, having sailed from New Zealand.
About 4,600 passengers and crew were aboard the ship when it docked - meaning around one in five had Covid.
The outbreak is reminiscent of the Ruby Princess cruise ship Covid outbreak of early 2020, where at least 900 people tested positive and 28 died. (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-53776285)
All cases were either asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic, she said.

Given that all cases were asymptomatic or mild, it’s ridiculous that this is even a story or that people have to be shuttled off to quarantine. I assume most of the asymptomatic cases would never have been found if they were just acting normally.

Clearly we are still some way off Covid being treated as normal in some contexts.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jonny

Established Member

Given that all cases were asymptomatic or mild, it’s ridiculous that this is even a story or that people have to be shuttled off to quarantine. I assume most of the asymptomatic cases would never have been found if they were just acting normally.

Clearly we are still some way off Covid being treated as normal in some contexts.
If they are asymptomatic or mild, why bother even testing?

Freightmaster

Established Member
Really is a big non-event but some people can't let this go as they'd have to admit they were wrong.
This.

Cruises operating from US ports (e.g. Miami) dropped routine testing a couple of months ago,
and with the larger ships able to convey over 5000 guests these days, it's entirely possible that
many of them are returning to port at the end of the cruise having suffered an 'outbreak' of 800 cases,
most of whom would be none the wiser!

MARK

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Still lots of masks around Milan.

The hotel I'm staying in still has a lot of covid signage. Lift is plastered with reminders that you'll only be served breakfast if you have a mask.

Staff all masked, too. That said, guests certainly aren't bothering. Clearly will take a little longer for all of this to wear off in Italy.

VauxhallandI

Established Member

The hotel I'm staying in still has a lot of covid signage. Lift is plastered with reminders that you'll only be served breakfast if you have a mask.

Staff all masked, too. That said, guests certainly aren't bothering. Clearly will take a little longer for all of this to wear off in Italy.
I left the Hilton there a review about their staff mask policy which I imagine is not the choice of the staff. I wonder if I will get a reply

Snow1964

Established Member

I was in Puglia (the heel of Italy) first week in November, there was a small bit of residual signage that occasionally come across.

No masks, (except from couple of very old people wearing masks in shops during whole week), there was nothing in way of special measures (hand wash, one way systems etc) in any shops or restaurants, or the couple of trains we used. Restaurant tables close together with no spacing either

So any mask policy or restrictions not true of Italy as a whole.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I was in Puglia (the heel of Italy) first week in November, there was a small bit of residual signage that occasionally come across.

No masks, (except from couple of very old people wearing masks in shops during whole week), there was nothing in way of special measures (hand wash, one way systems etc) in any shops or restaurants, or the couple of trains we used. Restaurant tables close together with no spacing either

So any mask policy or restrictions not true of Italy as a whole.
Considering that when I was in Puglia in June people just weren't bothering with masks when they were a requirement, this doesn't surprise me.

I've gone a bit further south today towards Bologna/Parma and the number of mask wearers has significantly dropped off.

Much like the UK, I think its mostly just a lack of speed in removing redundant signage.

joncombe

Considering that when I was in Puglia in June people just weren't bothering with masks when they were a requirement, this doesn't surprise me.

I've gone a bit further south today towards Bologna/Parma and the number of mask wearers has significantly dropped off.

Much like the UK, I think its mostly just a lack of speed in removing redundant signage.
I was in Sicily a few weeks ago and very much normal. A few residual Covid signs about, but that was about all. Very few people wearing masks, including on the trains and buses. Could well be a bit of a north south divide in Italy as suggested above.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The mask mandate in Germany is slowly beginning to disappear. At the moment there's a slightly bizarre situation whereby a federal FFP2 mandate applies to long distance trains (IC/ICE) - but regional trains, trams and buses are only subject to state mandates (not all of which require FFP2 masks).

The northern state of Schleswig-Holstein has become the first to announce that it will not be extending its mandate beyond the New Year, and the state's Premier, Daniel Günther, has encouraged other states to follow suit:
On long-distance trains in Germany, there is a nationwide obligation to wear an FFP2 mask. But, under the Infection Protection Act, it’s up to the individual states to decide whether passengers on local transport must wear a mask.

Currently, all 16 states have some form of mandatory mask-wearing in place on public transport, but this could soon change.

Following the announcement that he will not extend the mask requirement on local transport next year, Schleswig-Holstein’s State Premier Daniel Günther (CDU) said on Friday that he hopes other states will do the same.

Günther spoke of “steps towards normality” and justified the action by saying that the situation in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany’s most northern state, was under control.

The health policy spokesman for the FDP parliamentary group, Andrew Ullmann, is also in favour of less stringent mask-wearing rules, and told Die Welt: “We advocate a mask recommendation instead of a mask requirement.”

However, the health policy spokesman for the Greens in the Bundestag, Janosch Dahmen, opposes the idea of relaxing the mask requirement in public transport, telling the same publication: “There are no new, medically evident reasons why we should now deviate from the previously legally provided segregation and isolation obligations or the mask obligation in mass transit.”

On Friday, the states of Schleswig-Holstein, Baden-Württemberg, Bavaria and Hesse, announced that they would get rid of the mandatory isolation rules for people infected with Covid.

Lower Saxony’s Minister President Stephan Weil, is also opting for a cautious approach for the coming winter.

The SPD politician told Die Welt newspaper: “Even if we all wish otherwise, the pandemic is not over. This is proven not least by the relatively high death toll that we continue to record.”

He pointed out that, in the last couple of years during the pandemic, the colder months have been particularly difficult in terms of rising Covid infection numbers. “Against this background, we will remain cautious in Lower Saxony,” he said.

On Monday, the nationwide seven-day incidence – the average daily number of newly detected Covid-19 cases over a 7-day period – was 216.7. This is a decrease of more than 50 since the previous week when this stood at 269.2.

As of Monday, the states with the highest seven-day incidences are Bremen with 329.8, Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania with 307.5 and Lower Saxony with 302.

davetheguard

Established Member
The mask mandate in Germany is slowly beginning to disappear. At the moment there's a slightly bizarre situation whereby a federal FFP2 mandate applies to long distance trains (IC/ICE) - but regional trains, trams and buses are only subject to state mandates (not all of which require FFP2 masks).

The northern state of Schleswig-Holstein has become the first to announce that it will not be extending its mandate beyond the New Year, and the state's Premier, Daniel Günther, has encouraged other states to follow suit:

Perhaps there's hope for a trip to Germany in 2023 after all! I'm missing it, and it's been a long time.

duncanp

Established Member
Proof, if it were needed that China has gone completely mad with regard to COVID restrictions.

These women were tied up just for not wearing a face mask

Two women tied up and shamed by China Covid security for not wearing masks to collect a takeaway​

Footage shows the distressed women with their hands tied behind their backs, while one claims her friends clothes were 'torn apart'

wo women were tied up and left in the street after they reportedly picked up a takeaway meal without wearing masks, in a humiliating abuse of power by officials enforcing China’s strict Covid rules.

A video showed the two visibly distressed women with their hands tied at a checkpoint near the entrance to a residential compound in the southern city of Guangzhou on Thursday.

An earlier video showed a group of men in blue protective suits and guard uniforms surrounding the women.

One of the women can be heard furiously accusing one of them men of discriminating against people from Hubei province, referring to protests by migrant workers who say they are being discriminated against during mandatory mass Covid testing campaigns.

The woman swore aggressively and told staff to call the police before being pushed to the ground and restrained by the group of men.

One of the women involved later recounted the incident in a post on China’s Weibo social media site.

“My friend got a bit emotional, they put us down even though we did not have any physical confrontation [with them] … my friend’s clothes were also torn apart,” she wrote. “They didn’t allow us to call the police … they were violent to us before even checking our health code.”

The incident began when the Covid staff prevented the women from going back to their apartment because one of them had gone to collect a takeaway but had not worn a mask, she said.

The videos sparked heated debate on Chinese social media, with some Weibo users criticising the women’s aggressive encounter with the Covid workers.

Others, however, criticised what they said was public shaming in the 21st century. Although videos and images related to the incident have been quickly scrubbed from Weibo.

“How come they can limit someone’s personal freedom like that? They are not law enforcement authority, they don’t have any clear documentation, can you do whatever you want in the name of the epidemic?” asked one user.

Police say they are investigating the case​

Police in Guangzhou told Chinese media that they are currently investigating the case of two women.

Abuse of power by officials and workers enforcing China’s draconian Covid restrictions has become increasingly common in recent months.

Covid staff reportedly fear punishment if they make any kind of mistake in putting Xi Jinping’s zero-Covid policy into practice.

China eased a series of Covid restrictions last Friday, which led to some cities stopping mandatory mass testing drives, but the country is still adhering to the zero-Covid policy.

Several districts in Guangzhou have been under lockdown since the beginning of this month after a surge of Covid cases there.

kristiang85

Established Member
I've seen videos of people paraded through the streets and shamed for not wearing masks.

duncanp

Established Member
I've seen videos of people paraded through the streets and shamed for not wearing masks.

Whilst parading through the streets hasn't happened here, we have seen people shamed on social media such as Faceache and ****ter.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I'm in Bulgaria now an I don't think I've seen anyone at all wear a mask of any description.

Some places, such as hotels, still had out of date signage but everyone was ignoring it (including the staff).
Whilst parading through the streets hasn't happened here, we have seen people shamed on social media such as Faceache and ****ter.
Indeed we must not forget how nasty pro-mask lobbyists can be; not to mention their mantra is based on total nonsense and a complete lack of understanding of the fact that the only end of the pandemic was always going to be reaching endemic equilibrium.

I think most people now understand it was a load of nonsense.

Class 33

Established Member
I was in the Netherlands for 5 days. During that time and all the thousands of people I would have saw about, I only saw about 15 people wearing face masks. Which is miniscule really. The Dutch are pretty much through with wearing the stupid things!

Though when I was in the London Victoria area(coach and rail station) this morning, getting the National Express coach to Bristol and in Bristol, I saw about 50 people wearing the things! Bonkers some people are still wearing the pointless silly things! Though probably still only about 1% still wearing them here. Whilst in the Netherlands it's more like about 0.1%!

Am hoping to return to Germany again next year after a 3 year gap. Though I won't be doing so until they've finally completely scrapped their mandatory face mask laws. And we have to wait until at least April to find out if that's going to happen or not!

PTR 444

Established Member
Am hoping to return to Germany again next year after a 3 year gap. Though I won't be doing so until they've finally completely scrapped their mandatory face mask laws. And we have to wait until at least April to find out if that's going to happen or not!
AFAIK I believe it is just on DB Intercity trains where mask wearing is still mandatory, but please correct me if I’m wrong. Me and a friend are travelling to Konstanz next Thursday so would be good to know if we need to take a specific type of mask or not.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
AFAIK I believe it is just on DB Intercity trains where mask wearing is still mandatory, but please correct me if I’m wrong. Me and a friend are travelling to Konstanz next Thursday so would be good to know if we need to take a specific type of mask or not.
Mask mandates sadly apply on trains across the whole of Germany (for now - Schleswig-Holstein in the north has announced it intends to end its mandate in the new year and Bavaria has now also made similar indications).

As per my previous post, the mandate is FFP2 on IC/ICE trains and surgical on other trains.

1D54

I'd not worry too much about the mandatory wearing of FFP masks in Germany as the people are sick to back teeth of wearing them when they see others all over Europe freely going about their business without them.

You can safely travel around free of masks and nobody will bother you on IC/ICE/RE and any other form of transport in the country.

Class 33

Established Member
I read on here recently though that the German government could re-introduce stricter rules on face coverings, by making them compulsory in shops, etc again this autum/winter. Though thankfully that not has happened yet.

Either way though, it will probably be at least April until if I goto Germany again.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I read on here recently though that the German government could re-introduce stricter rules on face coverings, by making them compulsory in shops, etc again this autum/winter. Though thankfully that not has happened yet.

It was also threatened in France but it soon died a death as common sense prevailed.

Cdd89

Established Member
I see Brazil (of all places) has reimposed mask mandates on planes:

The participants of the meeting stressed that the epidemiological data demand the return of non-pharmacological protective measures, such as the use of masks, especially in public transport, in airports and indoor/confined environments.

According to director Alex Campos, who proposed the measure, "the use of masks in environments of higher risk, due to their characteristics of confinement, circulation and agglomeration of people, represents an act of citizenship and protection to the community and aims to mitigate the risk of transmission and contagion of the disease".

A reinforcement in the recommendation of the use of masks by travelers was considered. However, given the current epidemiological data, which indicate an increase in the number of cases of Covid-19 in the Brazilian population, the Collegiate Board considered it necessary to resume the mandatory use of face protection masks in airports and aircraft, in order to contain the spread of the disease.

I suspect we’ll see a few others in due course, although the above is pretty light on real justification (just “a need to contain the spread…”).

kristiang85

Established Member
I see Brazil (of all places) has reimposed mask mandates on planes:

I suspect we’ll see a few others in due course, although the above is pretty light on real justification (just “a need to contain the spread…”).

Brazil has mass protests and a bit of an electoral crisis.

Yet they fiddle about with this pointless charade.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Just been in Vienna and its clear that compliance is wavering.

Even on Wiener Linien you had trams passing with a good 25% or so of people not bothering - quite high compared to earlier in the year.

On ÖBB probably closer to 50/50, even on S-Bahn trains with a lot of stops in Vienna. I'd forgotten to bring an FFP2 and figured I'd only bother if *everyone* was wearing them. Was pleased to see I didn't need to go find somewhere that sold one.

Lampshade

Established Member
Just back from the Philippines - either fully vaccinated or negative test required for entry, masks required in all indoor settings, plus most people habitually wearing them outdoors, a lot of places still requiring vax passports.

Still got covid though :lol:

island

Veteran Member
The New South Wales authorities have had to cancel over 30,000 COVID penalty notices totalling over A$30m after court challenges. The notices, issued for violations such as taking breaks outdoors in the middle of the daily permitted exercise period, were deemed "too vague".

Eyersey468

Established Member
The New South Wales authorities have had to cancel over 30,000 COVID penalty notices totalling over A$30m after court challenges. The notices, issued for violations such as taking breaks outdoors in the middle of the daily permitted exercise period, were deemed "too vague".
Excellent, let's hope more get cancelled

AY1975

Established Member
Mask mandates sadly apply on trains across the whole of Germany (for now - Schleswig-Holstein in the north has announced it intends to end its mandate in the new year and Bavaria has now also made similar indications).

As per my previous post, the mandate is FFP2 on IC/ICE trains and surgical on other trains.
I presume an FFP2/FPP2 mask is acceptable where only a surgical mask is required, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.