• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I've recently been in France, Italy and Switzerland and everything was normal. A very tiny minority of people wearing masks, but other than that, the only signs of the pandemic was the occasional out of date signage.

I also boarded an ICE which had incorrect information claiming masks were required to board the train; as we were in Switzerland, hardly anyone was wearing a mask, and the signs were simply incorrect.

Eurostar still have outdated messaging on their passenger information displays, but of course everyone was quite rightly ignoring it.
Was in Germany last week and they insist on FFP2 masks on all trains.
They can insist all they like but the last two occasions I was on trains through Germany, virtually no-one was wearing a mask (admittedly one was an Austrian train and the other Swiss ;))

I am not visiting Germany (other than to pass through, unmasked) until the authorities see sense; I will not bow down to their ridiculous demands. I would have visited Germany on my inter rail trip but I went to more sensible countries instead.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I’ve just got back from the north east coast of the USA. In the rural areas I hardly saw any masks (probably a similar level to the UK) but in Boston would easily guess 30-40% of riders on their “T” Subway/Metro service were wearing masks. There were also a lot of signs up on public facilities and shops, including on the LED display on the front of buses saying “masks encouraged,” strongly recommended or words to that effect. Mask wearing in shops and elsewhere than public transport however was much lower.

Aside from the large number of mask wearers on transport, it was all very similar to the UK summer / autumn 2021. The notable exception being that a very large percentage, definitely over half and possibly even more than two thirds, of frontline service staff in shops, at the airport, car rental and so on were also wearing masks - whereas in the UK since July last year it has typically been the other way round, with staff being less likely to mask up than customers.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
When I was in Boston in August it felt like a high proportion compared to the UK but I didn't think it was as much as 30%! I think these people are virtue signalling their political views more than anything; it's all very sad and pathetic.

Anyway today I have gone to work and seen hundreds of people and not seen a single mask; that is how it should be. I saw no masks on the train from London to York last night either. Some people were masked on Eurostar but it was a tiny minority, and none of the on board staff were.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A reminder this topic is for experiences abroad not the UK

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Rather bizzarely, the US government’s Transportation Security Administration has extended the requirement for non-US citizens or immigrants to be fully vaccinated until 8th of January next year.

The US will remain on a small list of countries (primarily composed of small Pacific island countries, along with Iran, the Philippines, and a few others) that has an outright ban on the unvaccinated.

Established Member
Rather bizzarely, the US government’s Transportation Security Administration has extended the requirement for non-US citizens or immigrants to be fully vaccinated until 8th or January next year.

The US will remain on a small list of countries (primarily composed of small Pacific island countries, along with Iran, the Philippines, and a few others) that has an outright ban on the unvaccinated.

I suppose we shouldn’t be surprised when the US president forgets the names of his own children, and doesn’t seem to know how many states the country has!

Lampshade

Established Member
Not as of tomorrow!

Butts

Veteran Member
Visiting Vienna next week - as I understand it still FFP2 Territory with regard to Public Transport - bit of an outlier ?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Visiting Vienna next week - as I understand it still FFP2 Territory with regard to Public Transport - bit of an outlier ?
Unfortunately, yes. This mandate didn't seem to really apply on long distance services passing through/to/from Vienna or at the station, but it was enforced by a security guard at the entrance to the ticket office.

Butts

Veteran Member
Unfortunately, yes. This mandate didn't seem to really apply on long distance services passing through/to/from Vienna or at the station, but it was enforced by a security guard at the entrance to the ticket office.

Yet as I understand it Vienna Airports and Flights are not subjected this nonsense ?

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
Yet as I understand it Vienna Airports and Flights are not subjected this nonsense ?
Correct - I changed planes at Vienna the week before last. On Austrian Airlines some of the flight attendants were wearing FFP2 masks but very few passengers and there was no announcement about it. And there were almost no masks to be seen at the airport itself.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Here in Milan there is no mask theatre on public transport
Indeed, although there is still a notable minority (maybe 10-15%) choosing to wear masks. It's also notable that some people start to wear one when the train gets busier.

duncanp

Established Member
Rather bizzarely, the US government’s Transportation Security Administration has extended the requirement for non-US citizens or immigrants to be fully vaccinated until 8th of January next year.

Can't help wondering if this will change after the mid term elections this week, in which the Republicans are predicted to make gains.

If the Republicans control both houses of Congres, then President Biden might need to make a few concessions in order to pass legislation.

D6130

Established Member
Just back from a five week stint in Italy, where the compulsory masks on public transport mandate was lifted on 1st October. My experience of travelling on trains and buses since then is that voluntary mask wearing is about 15-20 % in rural areas and 25-30% in the larger towns and cities. I suppose that these proportions are logical in that those passengers who, for whatever reason, feel vunerable, are more likely to do so in more densely-populated areas with busier trains, trams and buses.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Just back from a five week stint in Italy, where the compulsory masks on public transport mandate was lifted on 1st October. My experience of travelling on trains and buses since then is that voluntary mask wearing is about 15-20 % in rural areas and 25-30% in the larger towns and cities. I suppose that these proportions are logical in that those passengers who, for whatever reason, feel vunerable, are more likely to do so in more densely-populated areas with busier trains, trams and buses.
Yes but not in packed shops and streets. I wonder why trains have been chosen as the physical embodiment of the devil all over the globe. It’s as if no government can think for themselves

Howardh

Established Member
Just back from Costa del Sol (by heck the countryside is yellow due to lack of rain, someone invent cricket for them!) and zero covid protocol at the airport or on the flights, compulsory mask wearing on trains and I reckon 80%+ compliance. Last march every time I entered a shop maskless they told me to wear one or no entry; none of that now. Still social distancing marks on the ground getting worn away gradually!

Butts

Veteran Member
Correct - I changed planes at Vienna the week before last. On Austrian Airlines some of the flight attendants were wearing FFP2 masks but very few passengers and there was no announcement about it. And there were almost no masks to be seen at the airport itself.

Well in Vienna at the moment.

Didn't wear a mask on the CAT Train from the Airport to Wien Mitte or on the S Bahn from there to my final destination.

On the CAT Service from the Airport it was about 50/50 with regard to masks. The Guard who was wearing one didn't say anything to any of the defaulters.

On the S Bahn and Trams I would say compliance is about 80%

Does anyone know the official reason why you don't have to wear masks at the Airport or on Planes in Vienna but you do on trains and trams et al ?

At the Airport now, a wonderful Smoking Terrace in the Vienna Lounge and not a mask in sight :E :E :E

Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Well in Vienna at the moment.

Didn't wear a mask on the CAT Train from the Airport to Wien Mitte or on the S Bahn from there to my final destination.

On the CAT Service from the Airport it was about 50/50 with regard to masks. The Guard who was wearing one didn't say anything to any of the defaulters.

On the S Bahn and Trams I would say compliance is about 80%

Does anyone know the official reason why you don't have to wear masks at the Airport or on Planes in Vienna but you do on trains and trams et al ?

At the Airport now, a wonderful Smoking Terrace in the Vienna Lounge and not a mask in sight :E :E :E
The mask mandate only applies within the administrative district of Vienna AFAIK - thus it only applies to airport trains whilst they are between Hbf/Mitte and Kaiserebersdorf, where the airport line branches off. The airport is outwith the city district so the mandate doesn't apply there.

Citybreak1

At this stage I would be boycotting any country dictating these ridiculous rules. When I heard Germany had masks on transport for winter and shops I spent my money in France and Belgium. Germany is off my list for 2023 too!

zero

Been around Germany for a bit - basically 100% masked on public transport even when there's no chance of it being enforced, but they go on when you board and come off the moment you step out of a vehicle. Everywhere else masks are as commonly seen as they are in the UK currently.

Feels completely pointless, they are only getting away with having this rule because everyone complies.

1D54

They are certainly not complying in Berlin. I was there last month and although there are regular announcements on the S Bahn about the use of FFP masks being mandatory it has to be down to 60% usage now because they are sick of them. I didn't bother wearing one on any form of public transport and nobody gave me a second glance.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
They are certainly not complying in Berlin. I was there last month and although there are regular announcements on the S Bahn about the use of FFP masks being mandatory it has to be down to 60% usage now because they are sick of them. I didn't bother wearing one on any form of public transport and nobody gave me a second glance.
Was in Berlin in August and S-Bahn trains no better than 50% compliance, slightly higher on regional services. I didn't get any issues not wearing one.

Eyersey468

Established Member
And if that's the case, which it could well be, the question is surely: 'Why, and what's this really about then, because it's certainly not about a virus?'
Control and power I suspect. I suspect also they feel they can't be seen to now backtrack

Butts

Veteran Member
The mask mandate only applies within the administrative district of Vienna AFAIK - thus it only applies to airport trains whilst they are between Hbf/Mitte and Kaiserebersdorf, where the airport line branches off. The airport is outwith the city district so the mandate doesn't apply there.

And why is Vienna singled out ?

I know they have 8 or 9 Federal States making up the Country of Austria - is Vienna the only one keeping masks ?

What is the official spin for retaining them when even in Vienna they are not required in Hotels, Bars , Shops et al.

One interesting fact they used to drive on the left prior to Anschluss in 1938.

Another thing I noticed, on the Bus Tours, unlike Germany, they fail to mention what enthusiastic Nazis a lot of them were

Status
Not open for further replies.