• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Yes I see others have confirmed

I printed, signed then scanned for the Eurotunnel website. I took the hard copies but wasn’t asked on arrival

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nw1

Established Member
I will dig mine out the bin from two weeks ago when I go upstairs

I see that the symptoms mentioned in this form are a bit more wide ranging than just the high fever, cough and loss of taste or smell.

Headache (!!!!), diarrhoea, fatigue and muscle pain in particular are very generic symptoms that could have many, many causes.

Time the world moved on and realised that Covid isn't the cause of all malaise. Being denied access to France because you have a headache is just a bit over the top.

It certainly does nothing for those who suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorder (this is a serious statement, by the way) who will be led into believing that every time they feel slightly ill, they have Covid.

The longer the world continues to think this way, the longer the economic after-effects will last.

Last edited:

kevin_roche

I see that the symptoms mentioned in this form are a bit more wide ranging than just the high fever, cough and loss of taste or smell.

Headache (!!!!), diarrhoea, fatigue and muscle pain in particular are very generic symptoms that could have many, many causes.

Time the world moved on and realised that Covid isn't the cause of all malaise. Being denied access to France because you have a headache is just a bit over the top.

It certainly does nothing for those who suffer from obsessive-compulsive disorder (this is a serious statement, by the way) who will be led into believing that every time they feel slightly ill, they have Covid.

The longer the world continues to think this way, the longer the economic after-effects will last. Time people think about this.

I agree with you. Unfortunately, the most common symptom of the latest version of Covid is now a headache. When I had the virus I didn't have a cough or a high temperature, I did have a headache, diarrhoea, fatigue and muscle pain. Unfortunately at that time (April 2020) there we no tests so I probably went around infecting people. I am concerned that soon, the people who worry about it a lot will no longer be able to get tests to reassure themselves and so stay at home with every small sniff.

Bikeman78

Established Member
I agree with you. Unfortunately, the most common symptom of the latest version of Covid is now a headache. When I had the virus I didn't have a cough or a high temperature, I did have a headache, diarrhoea, fatigue and muscle pain. Unfortunately at that time (April 2020) there we no tests so I probably went around infecting people. I am concerned that soon, the people who worry about it a lot will no longer be able to get tests to reassure themselves and so stay at home with every small sniff.
If I get a headache, I will take some paracetamol and crack on, just as I have for the past 40 years. If I actually feel unwell, then I'll stay at home, as I have for the past 40 years.

LAX54

Established Member
Staying at home if you have, or think you have a cold, flu, etc has always been 'suggested', but of course no one ever does as employers think you just fancy a day or two off, and on a personal side, you think you will be letting your collegues down, or leave them running short, how long before Covid falls into that scenario ?

route101

Established Member
Was in France at the weekend. Mask wearing still very high but no social distancing. I did see some benches taped off in a shopping centre.

scarby

Travelled from Stockholm (where I live) to Toulouse yesterday, with Lufthansa via Frankfurt.

On numerous occasions over the past two years I have found myself expressing huge gratitude that I live in Sweden, not something I tended to do so much before. When I have travelled abroad during the pandemic, to France, Germany and the UK, it has certainly seemed a very reasonable sentiment.

At Stockholm Arlanda airport, barely a mask in sight even as people sit by the departure gates, could have been 2019. Okay, so I prepare to enter the lion's den. Full mask requirement on the flight to Frankfurt. On arrival, crammed into buses to the terminal, despite all the scientific evidence that physical distancing is one of the best ways to avoid catching airborne viruses, so it all already makes no sense whatsoever. Full on masktivism at Frankfurt airport (do they think that airports are somehow a more risky environment than a bar or club?), some seats meaninglessly taped off. Flight to Toulouse featured a hectoring stewardess determined that everyone should wear their masks correctly - Erich Honecker would have been proud. Despite the flight being about half-full with some empty rows, a passenger is planted right next to me - more irrationality.

No requests to show or upload vaccine certificate at any point - bit surprised, thought this was still in place. Filled in the 'honour declaration' at home but I have never been asked to show this on a trip to France.

Was curious to see what Toulouse would be like as I have been to France three times in the pandemic, with various crazy mask regulations. Was pleased to see some people dispensing with their masks as soon as we were at the luggage carousel. Once in the city, was delighted to see little mask wearing - has dropped off much more than I had anticipated - almost back to 2019, a few utterly misguided people wearing them in the street - as has been observed on here, there are some people who would clearly like 2020-21 to go on forever. Most people, however, seem genuinely relieved to be rid of them. No requirement to show vaccine certificate in bars, etc. - I think it must have been dropped.

nanstallon

Staying at home if you have, or think you have a cold, flu, etc has always been 'suggested', but of course no one ever does as employers think you just fancy a day or two off, and on a personal side, you think you will be letting your collegues down, or leave them running short, how long before Covid falls into that scenario ?
The old office dilemma. I'd either be accused by the boss of malingering if I took a day off to get over a sore throat and runny nose, or I'd go in to work and be treated as a leper. Can't win!

Mintona

Established Member
I arrived back into the UK from Croatia last night, flying easyJet from/to Bristol.

In Croatia (Dubrovnik at least), the only people wearing masks were taxi drivers (although most only put them on when they saw we had them) and staff at our hotel. You’re supposed to wear them everywhere indoors but nobody was at any attractions or restaurants etc. so we stopped bothering after a couple of days.

Had to show proof of vaccination to enter Croatia but that was it, was never asked for any documents again.

easyJet insisted on everybody wearing masks for the entire duration of the flight both ways. The second people stepped off the plane at Bristol they were removed and everybody then mixed and mingled together at passport control and baggage reclaim (which was surprisingly painless, the ills afflicting Manchester and Heathrow don’t seem to have made it to Bristol).

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Flew back to Heathrow on BA and the cabin crew announced that masks were compulsory - in apparent contradiction of BA's mask policy (which only requires them where the destination mandates them; the mandate in England was of course scrapped months ago).

I shall certainly be giving them, and all other airlines and countries retaining mask mandates of any sort, a wide berth when booking future trips!

zero

Flew back to Heathrow on BA and the cabin crew announced that masks were compulsory - in apparent contradiction of BA's mask policy (which only requires them where the destination mandates them; the mandate in England was of course scrapped months ago).

I shall certainly be giving them, and all other airlines and countries retaining mask mandates of any sort, a wide berth when booking future trips!

Some countries like the US mandate masks on all departing flights. While the US could not enforce this on individual passengers once they have left the US, they can in theory enforce it on airlines who wish to continue flying to the US.

In Croatia (Dubrovnik at least), the only people wearing masks were taxi drivers (although most only put them on when they saw we had them) and staff at our hotel. You’re supposed to wear them everywhere indoors but nobody was at any attractions or restaurants etc. so we stopped bothering after a couple of days.

Well this is a big contrast to how it was when I was there 2 weeks ago (as I wrote in this thread). I certainly saw a good proportion of locals wearing masks in taxis. When I took a taxi I said to the driver that he could remove his mask if he wanted, but he said it didn't really bother him though he didn't care what I did.

However I should add that my post was at the beginning of my stay. By the end of my stay the proportion of guests in my hotel wearing masks had decreased to about 50%, as was the case in shops, so it is quite plausible that it has dropped further to nearly 0% by now.

Butts

Veteran Member

When I flew back from Munich to LHR on BA last Monday you didn't have to wear them although most people still did.

No announcement was made but when I saw the crew without them I just asked.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Looks like Switzerland dropped (virtually) all restrictions on 1st April including masks on public transport https://lenews.ch/2022/03/30/switzerland-to-drop-all-covid-restrictions/

On 30 March 2022, Switzerland’s government announced the end of all measures aimed at reducing the spread of the SARS-CoV-2 virus from 1 April 2022.

Currently, the only federal measures left are the requirement to wear masks on public transport and in health facilities and the obligation to self-isolate after infection with the disease.

From 1 April 2022, these remaining federal measures will disappear. Cantons may decide to continue with some measures. For example, Geneva will retain a mask requirement in hospitals and nursing homes. In addition, the SwissCovid app is to be temporarily deactivated and user data on the federal system is to be deleted. Switzerland will move back to normal roughly two years after the virus was first detected in the country in February 2020.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I am flying to Vienna on Thursday and am keen to avoid masks. The plan was to stay in Bratislava and visit Slovakia. However they have not got rid of masks; the last article on the subject I read said they were hoping to ditch them soon.

I believe Czech Republic still requires masks on public transport?

Therefore, can anyone confirm, am I better off going to Hungary?

Any other suggestions for places that are maskless that are within an easy reach of Vienna for a short weekend trip this weekend?
Off to Munich today from EDI via LHR for a long weekend.

Weird that there are no forms to fill out or tests to take, only need my jab certificate.

Hopefully I 'll get a bit further than my Dusseldorf Trip a few weeks ago that only got as far as Heathrow thanks to BA's IT meltdown..
I feel BA have mislead us; on a flight yesterday they mandated masks as they claim the origin counts as the destination.

However nearly everyone took them off after take off when water & crisps were provided. Most people then seemed to have plenty of drinks and masks only went back on when it was time to land, so masks were only required for a short time at the start and end of the flight. Of course my flimsy loose fitting mask is deliberately designed to be breathable and does not do any filtering at all, but I totally object to this theatre and authoritarianism and it is putting me off travelling to places that require masks and/or with travel providers who require masks.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I am flying to Vienna on Thursday and am keen to avoid masks. The plan was to stay in Bratislava and visit Slovakia. However they have not got rid of masks; the last article on the subject I read said they were hoping to ditch them soon.

Therefore, can anyone confirm, am I better off going to Hungary?

Any other suggestions for places that are maskless that are within an easy reach of Vienna for a short weekend trip this weekend?

I feel BA have mislead us; on a flight yesterday they mandated masks as they claim the origin counts as the destination.

However nearly everyone took them off after take off when water & crisps were provided. Most people then seemed to have plenty of drinks and masks only went back on when it was time to land, so masks were only required for a short time at the start and end of the flight. Of course my flimsy loose fitting mask is deliberately designed to be breathable and does not do any filtering at all, but I totally object to this theatre and authoritarianism and it is putting me off travelling to places that require masks and/or with travel providers who require masks.
No restrictions in Hungary as far as I'm aware.

scarby

I got a customer survey/feedback request from Lufthansa, so I used it to politely make it clear what my views are on them forcing me to wear a mask on their flights. I hardly expect it to effect a sudden change, but I do think it worthwhile to communicate to them that I am not happy with it and why.

ABB125

Established Member
That does appear to be the case, although compliance appears to be variable. Plus I think it's only on the train/bus that you need to wear a mask, not at the station. I'll see if I can see any signs in Praha hl.n, I'll be there shortly.

Here is the only poster about masks I've been able to find on a Czech train:
IMG_20220405_212417060.jpg
I think it translates (roughly) as "wearing a mask is good for you and our staff".

At stations, very few people are wearing masks. On trains, you can probably get away without wearing one, but personally I'd only do that if I spoke Czech (which I don't, so I've been wearing a mask :()

I hope this helps

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Thanks all. Wearing a flimsy mask is good for no-one , and reading such misleading information is not good for my blood pressure, so we have switched our destination to Budapest instead.

If anyone wants to get away from authoritarianism and misleading information, feel free to join us! :)

sftfan1909

I was ok without a mask on my recent Czech visit, I saw a lot weren't bothering and certainly very few on the 'historical train' that I went on, and wasn't asked for one once

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I was ok without a mask on my recent Czech visit, I saw a lot weren't bothering and certainly very few on the 'historical train' that I went on, and wasn't asked for one once
Thanks for the info. I go there at the end of April, so hopefully the nonsense will have ended by then.

nanstallon

Sadly not, FFP2 masks are still mandatory on public transport in Italy until the 30th of April.
Thank you for the info. I've just been down to Boots to get a pack, to be on the safe side. I didn't want our holiday to be ruined by some jobsworth blocking our way!

greyman42

Established Member
Thanks all. Wearing a flimsy mask is good for no-one , and reading such misleading information is not good for my blood pressure, so we have switched our destination to Budapest instead.

If anyone wants to get away from authoritarianism and misleading information, feel free to join us! :)
It is a pity more people don't take your example and boycott these countries that still have ridiculous restrictions.

nw1

Established Member
It is a pity more people don't take your example and boycott these countries that still have ridiculous restrictions.

While I would not actually boycott anywhere, I do take exception to discriminatory restrictions targeted at people above a certain age and/or non-EU citizens.

Ageism and xenophobia - the two forms of prejudice still seen as acceptable by many so-called middle of the road people, it seems.

greyman42

Established Member
While I would not actually boycott anywhere, I do take exception to discriminatory restrictions targeted at people above a certain age and/or non-EU citizens.
Well it depends on whether you are willing to put up with mask wearing. I certainly am not.

P Binnersley

Spain to scrap indoor face mask rule on April 20th​

The Spanish government on Wednesday proposed that masks no longer be required in most indoor public settings from Wednesday April 20th 2022, just after the Easter holidays rather than during as had been suggested.
but
Hospitals, care homes and public transport may be among the indoor settings where masks continue to be required.
https://www.thelocal.es/20220406/br...ing-mandatory-indoors-in-spain-on-april-19th/

Regional governments could possibly impose a mask mandate in their region, but most seem to on board with the after Easter date.

The announcement earlier today that unvaccinated British could enter Spain for tourism (with a -ve test) was an error.

Spain reverses plan to open up to unvaccinated British visitors​

In an extraordinary reversal of an earlier announcement, the Spanish tourist board in London has withdrawn the promise of opening up to unvaccinated British visitors.
https://www.independent.co.uk/trave...cinated-british-travel-tourists-b2052032.html

Yew

Established Member
Why is public transport always signalled out?

Status
Not open for further replies.