• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creation of class 230 DEMUs from ex-LU D78s by Vivarail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Why did they have to go all the way to Pennsylvania?

The Boris Bus has a 174hp unit that would do pretty much the same thing and is available off-the-shelf in blighty?

if you were picking a road power unit and wanted efficiency, you wouldn't take the unit from the Boris Bus. the tech has moved on quickly!

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Why did they have to go all the way to Pennsylvania?

The Boris Bus has a 174hp unit that would do pretty much the same thing and is available off-the-shelf in blighty?

According to the post you quoted, what comes from Pennsylvania is the loan of the money, not the engines!

anthony263

Established Member
That's all Roger Ford said in his e-preview.

I think he was caught a little of gaurd as he has admitted he thought it was a non start at first. Still I will interested at how this all pans out.

LUL/TFL seem to have got a good bit of money for the D Stock units alhough I do hope one driving car is retains for preservation

Nym

Established Member
LUL/TFL seem to have got a good bit of money for the D Stock units alhough I do hope one driving car is retains for preservation

It's not what I've herd, but we'll need to wait for the announcement...

Although I strongly suspect that the LTM will retain the 'last cab' as for A Stock at the very minimum.

Brian Aylott

I think he was caught a little of gaurd as he has admitted he thought it was a non start at first. Still I will interested at how this all pans out.

Why do you say that they've got a good bit of money for the units?
Do you know that they got more than the scrap value?
Brian

Wolfie

Established Member
Why do you say that they've got a good bit of money for the units?
Do you know that they got more than the scrap value?
Brian

It seems probable that the answer is yes otherwise parts which have commonality with other LU stock would presumably have been stripped prior to the D-stock being dispatched for scrapping. Presumably as they have been sold on for future use such parts recovery will not have taken place.

Nym

Established Member
Theres a lot of assumptions there...

The parts that where shared between C Stock and 1972TS where not stripped in great numbers, as there is already a sufficient spares pool (to the point that the LTM Depot already has a D-Stock / 1973TS / 1983TS RPA preserved in the back yard of the depot...), and an overhaul requirement on most parts anyway. Increasing the spares pool wouldn't help that much.

Also the assumption that LUL / TfL would get good money for the units, like I said, wait for the announcements.

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Roger Ford's article on Vivarail says they have obtained 300 vehicles, which is enough to make 75 trains and their 1 page website says 3 car trains: http://vivarail.co.uk/ That would suggest 75 vehicles would be raided for parts and not be used in the 'new' trains.

Last edited by a moderator:

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Roger Ford's article on Vivarail says they have obtained 300 vehicles, which is enough to make 75 trains and their 1 page website says 3 car trains: http://vivarail.co.uk/ That would suggest 75 vehicles would be raided for parts and not be used in the 'new' trains.

Vivarail's website also says "Too good to be true. We believe so."
I don't know if they mean that literally.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Ha! Surely they mean something like "Too good to be true. We don't believe so." Because as it reads right now I'm not sure anyone should invest if even the propose believes it's too good to be true!

pemma

Veteran Member
Parent company of Vivarail is Creactive Design who mention 'Leeds Light Rail' as one of their projects. I wonder which has a better chance of succeeding - Leeds Light Rail or the 278s?

Nym

Established Member
Parent company of Vivarail is Creactive Design who mention 'Leeds Light Rail' as one of their projects. I wonder which has a better chance of succeeding - Leeds Light Rail or the 278s?

Hmmm...

All starting to make sense now if the parent company is Creactive...

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Have a look at the Companies House info - they do share at least one director, although I can't find any ownership info directly linking the companies.

pemma

Veteran Member
Where did you find that info from ? (I can't find anything on http://www.creactive-design.co.uk/ about it, or on Google)

The domain Vivarail.co.uk has been registered by Creactive Design. I actually looked too quickly and thought the domain registration address (which is Creactive Design's Warwickshire office) was the same address as on the Vivarail.co.uk which it isn't. The address on Vivarail.co.uk is the registered office of Motorail (UK) limited and some subsidies.

So my revised conclusion is Motorail (UK) own Vivarail and Motorail (UK) are a client of Creactive Design.

ac6000cw

Established Member
Have a look at the Companies House info - they do share at least one director, although I can't find any ownership info directly linking the companies.

Yes, I had noticed the shared director (and that Adrian Shooter is also a director), but 'parent company' usually implies at least partial ownership.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
So my revised conclusion is Motorail (UK) own Vivarail and Motorail (UK) are a client of Creactive Design.

That sounds much more likely :)

pemma

Veteran Member

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Yes, big update to their website since yesterday, with a lot more detail on their proposals, including only using 2 of the 4 doors per side and sealing up the other 2.

Haydn1971

Established Member
I take it back, looks more promising than I first expected. Let's hope they ride / perform as well as the interior visualisations look.

Established Member
On the face of it what they are proposing doesn't look too bad at all

Last edited:

jamesontheroad

Established Member
On the face of it what they are proposing doesn't look too bad at all

As with any rebuild, it's not the face of it I'm worried about :D

There is a long interview in this week's Rail (#762, 26 November) with Malcolm Brown, CEO of Angel Trains, about what to do next with the Pacers in the north of England. It could be (especially as those mock-ups from Viva Rail show Huddersfield as a destination) that they're keeping a very open mind about what the D-train solution might be.

pemma

Veteran Member
It could be (especially as those mock-ups from Viva Rail show Huddersfield as a destination) that they're keeping a very open mind about what the D-train solution might be.

Apparently they did a computer simulation of how the 'new' trains would perform on the Penistone Line and they found they could match 142 timings, so that might explain why Huddersfield is shown as the destination on the mock-ups.

Harpers Tate

Established Member
Whatever other factors may be at play, I think a four-coach train (of pretty much any type) would be a welcome sight on many Northen routes. We might even actually get on.....

And on bogies........the luxury!

Last edited:

pemma

Veteran Member
Whatever other factors may be at play, I think a four-coach train (of pretty much any type) would be a welcome sight on many Northen routes. We might even actually get on.....

They aren't actually proposing 4 car trains. That was the Yorkshire based company who were proposing 278s. (There were 2 different proposals.)

It looks like these would be 230s: http://www.vivarail.co.uk/WP/wp-content/uploads/2014/11/Northern-Version-2.4.jpg

In 2 or 3 car formations: http://www.vivarail.co.uk/trains-town-country/

A 2 car 230 joined on to a 3 car 230 would be 91.6m long, which is the same length as a 4 car 156 or 4 car 158 so would fit most platforms.

Bantamzen

Established Member

Erm did anyone notice in that final picture the seats facing each other with a door in between? It's just like some of the old slam door stock. That'll be fun in winter, or when it's busy, or if people with suitcases, prams, bikes get on...

Status
Not open for further replies.