• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Credit cards on virgin trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

merlodlliw

Established Member
Wrexham/ Denbighshire /Flintshire triangle
Yes, I never put notes in TVMs - whenever I did try in the 'old days' they never worked anyway and just got spat back out, so I stopped bothering!

I think that anyone who is around 18 now will be so much more aware of cards than older people. Though I'm only 43, you could never use a card in a pub when I was younger - I think it may have been illegal! Nowadays you can use them almost anywhere, minimum payments not withstanding...

Oh Greenback, in your previous thread you called yourself older, now 43,
perhaps you age quicker in SIR GAR, anyhow if I can pay by cheque I will,
the dosh stays in my account for 5 days, with a debit card it clears next day
seems like Beardie is about to leave trains, now he wants to go into banking.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jon0844

Veteran Member
The contactless credit cards are hardly accepted anywhere, and I know of one retailer (Subway) that removed it completely, while my local Pret has them but they stopped working and have never been fixed. This is at Old Street, yet I'm apparently the only person that ever used it (or tried when it stopped working).

But, in theory, they are the way forward. An easy, safe, secure, way to buy things up to £10 - perfect for on a train (although the high prices might just mean having to pay in more than one go!).

It does seem odd not to accept credit cards for payments over £5, especially if it means that the person who ran for the train and couldn't buy something beforehand now gets a few extra items to make it £5.

mumrar

Established Member
Barclaycard introduced the contactless technology on some of their cards, wonder why it couldn't be used on a train........
Think XC are the same these days as well, been on a few recently where the announcement has said no cards accepted.

Contactless technology relies on a connection to the bank, as does most chip and pin terminals. How long do you think it would take to get consistent signal and complete a transaction. Chip and pin is all about fraud prevention and transaction authorisation. This is not realistically possible on a train. Somebody could run up plenty on a card without having finds available for example.

mumrar

Established Member
That as may be, it is not consistent, just ask Ferret how easy it is to obtain name/address verification for a UPFN on a Voyager. I have enough grief on Turbostars

Ticket Man

how do magic 1100 work with avb on trains then? they've been used for years surely the basis that you need a good signal isn't a factor.

barrykas

Established Member
how do magic 1100 work with avb on trains then? they've been used for years surely the basis that you need a good signal isn't a factor.

RJ-11 connection to the printer. If it calls for an authorisation, the user has to call the relevant Merchant Services Provider and enter the code manually.

Cheers,

Barry

Skie

Most current on-board stuff is done via offline authorisation.

So you stick your card in/swipe it, the machine stores the details and amount, operator looks at the signature and verifys it (yeah, right!) or the machine checks the pin entered against the pin on the chip. As long as nothing is odd comes up(A C&P card has exceeded its limit for offline transactions) the transaction is agreed and off you go. Its a sort of honour system in a way.

Then at the end of the day, the terminal is connected to the network and the transactions get uploaded to the processing centre. These can be refused for plenty of reasons. So you basically have a window where fraud is very easy, because a card can't be added to the list of stopped cards on the terminal until this is done.

Online transactions connect to the payment processor there and then, and can check if the transaction is valid (card not stolen, enough in account, card allowed to be used with this sort of retailer etc.) and fraud is much harder. Of course, you need a network connection there and then which is difficult on a moving train.

The excuse that they dont want to upgrade to Chip and Pin because its too expensive is an odd one. Their payment processor should have pushed Chip and Pin onto them back when it launched, as it does somewhat reduce the risk of fraud (cant simply steal a card and use it by faking the signature as you need to know the pin too). Its more likely they dont want to move onto online transactions, because that would cost money to ensure the kit is there to provide a good connection. Imagine the fun when rushing through tunnels :)

Greenback

Emeritus Moderator
Oh Greenback, in your previous thread you called yourself older, now 43,
perhaps you age quicker in SIR GAR, anyhow if I can pay by cheque I will,
the dosh stays in my account for 5 days, with a debit card it clears next day
seems like Beardie is about to leave trains, now he wants to go into banking.

Haha! Sir Gar is such a stressful place, I feel I have aged 30 years in 3! But I am conscious that I an older than a lot of people on the forum, to someone who is 19 I could be looked on as ancient!

You;re right about the 5 days for cheques, I guess that's another reason why banks and retailers are less keen on them now! I don;t have a cheque book, because the bank 'encouraged' me to go to an online account by paying me more interest in 2006!

Failed Unit

Established Member
But surely if I was going to defraud virgin with a stolen credit card I would just buy my ticket on the train. Manchester to London anytime would be a bigger loss than a sandwich packet of crisps and a drink

ukrob

Established Member
But surely if I was going to defraud virgin with a stolen credit card I would just buy my ticket on the train. Manchester to London anytime would be a bigger loss than a sandwich packet of crisps and a drink

That would almost certainly be above the 'floor limit' of the card and require authorisation (by phone)?

Crossover

Established Member
I can vouch for the lack of plastic too as I was on a train this evening which stated they no longer accept cards or cheques - it is cash only.
It has also been mentioned on Pendos I have been on over the past few weeks too.

krus_aragon

Established Member
Contactless technology relies on a connection to the bank, as does most chip and pin terminals. How long do you think it would take to get consistent signal and complete a transaction. Chip and pin is all about fraud prevention and transaction authorisation. This is not realistically possible on a train. Somebody could run up plenty on a card without having finds available for example.

Are you sure on that? The impression I get is that they don't wait to check that funds are available at the bank, hence the 'swipe and go' idea. I know that there's a £10 limit on swipes, but the rest is just a guess. I've never seen one of these terminals: is that because I don't live near one of those roller-coasters or huge water slides near where I live?

ukrob

Established Member
Are you sure on that? The impression I get is that they don't wait to check that funds are available at the bank, hence the 'swipe and go' idea. I know that there's a £10 limit on swipes, but the rest is just a guess. I've never seen one of these terminals: is that because I don't live near one of those roller-coasters or huge water slides near where I live?

Indeed - after so many swipes, or after a certain amount is spent a connection is made I believe.

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster

B&B's Coffee have them in my local ones - used them today didn't seem to understand that the payment had been approved - even that it said 'APPROVED' on the terminal! Before hand I was presenting the card to the screen which said 'Present Card to Contactless or Slide into Chip Reader' (or along the lines of) and it got to light one and they told me to take it away and place it in the bottom, I didn't I let it read the card 'Contactlessly'! Good thing about that though is, most terminals only print one receipt - the merchant one, if you are given this the chances of being charged are slim!

Status
Not open for further replies.