• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Creep signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Met Driver

Established Member
I was having a look at Bill Reid's fotopic site (welcome to the forum, Bill :p) and came across a couple of photos depicting 'creep signals' (see here and here). Could anyone explain what their purpose is and how they function? Many thanks!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bill EWS

Hello Seth,
Thanks for your welcome. The creep signals as you see them from my 66 cab pic are showing two red lights side by side. That means stop. You don't pull up to these signals but stop instantly, where you are. The driver has to keep an eye on these signals at all times while moving and be prepared to stop at any moment. The creep signals on the opposite line are not being used therefore can remain at any aspect.

When they clear you get three white lights vertically and proceed at unloading speed 0.5 mph until the signals change to red. However, you have one more movement indication, which is flashing whites, which mean, move the train back towards the plant, again at no more than 0.5mph, unless otherwise instructed. This can happen when the hopper doors don't open when going over the coal hoppers and or, they don't close after the coal is dumped and need to be manually operated.

Along with these signals the driver is also always in contact with the power station examiner by two-way radio. The examiner is examining the train as it creeps thorough the plant and can stop the train if need be, by the two-way radio, as can the power station crew attending the opening and closing of the wagon hoppers, but they have control of the creep signals.

When unloading is completed and after the proper papers are handed to the driver for the now empty train, if the creep signals are cleared (horizontal white lights) the train can proceed at up to 10mph towards the Power Station controlling 'ground' signal, which is controlled by the power station signal tower, who, after speaking to the mainline signalers (in this case Swindon 'B') the ground signal is cleared (two white lights) then the driver can move the train out of the power station and up to the first mainline controlling signal. There is a cab view of my train standing at this controlling signal at
http://billreid678.fotopic.net/p22617527.html
where I am waiting for a loaded train to enter the power station from Didcot, having just run around his train, having come up from Avonmouth.

I hope that this is of help.

Regards.

Bill.

TheSlash

Established Member
These signals have been installed at Meldon Quarry within the last 12 months, i presume this is to do with the stone loading thing?

metrocammel

Ive noticed these signals at an old coillery near Nuneaton (cant remeber the name), and I assumed they were somthing to do with MGR's etc. Ive also noticed similar looking signals in photographs of the old hump shunting yards, such as Tinsley - the majority of these pictures were taken when the trans-pennine coal was in the hands of the Tommies on the Woodhead route, so they have been around for a while by the looks of it.

Aureol

Established Member
With a spanner in hand in D212's engine room
Bill EWS said:
Hello Seth,
Thanks for your welcome. The creep signals as you see them from my 66 cab pic are showing two red lights side by side. That means stop. You don't pull up to these signals but stop instantly, where you are. The driver has to keep an eye on these signals at all times while moving and be prepared to stop at any moment. The creep signals on the opposite line are not being used therefore can remain at any aspect.

When they clear you get three white lights vertically and proceed at unloading speed 0.5 mph until the signals change to red. However, you have one more movement indication, which is flashing whites, which mean, move the train back towards the plant, again at no more than 0.5mph, unless otherwise instructed. This can happen when the hopper doors don't open when going over the coal hoppers and or, they don't close after the coal is dumped and need to be manually operated.

Along with these signals the driver is also always in contact with the power station examiner by two-way radio. The examiner is examining the train as it creeps thorough the plant and can stop the train if need be, by the two-way radio, as can the power station crew attending the opening and closing of the wagon hoppers, but they have control of the creep signals.

When unloading is completed and after the proper papers are handed to the driver for the now empty train, if the creep signals are cleared (horizontal white lights) the train can proceed at up to 10mph towards the Power Station controlling 'ground' signal, which is controlled by the power station signal tower, who, after speaking to the mainline signalers (in this case Swindon 'B') the ground signal is cleared (two white lights) then the driver can move the train out of the power station and up to the first mainline controlling signal. There is a cab view of my train standing at this controlling signal at
http://billreid678.fotopic.net/p22617527.html
where I am waiting for a loaded train to enter the power station from Didcot, having just run around his train, having come up from Avonmouth.

I hope that this is of help.

Regards.

Bill.

Very interesting story there Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.