• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crewe-Warrington ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuwhu

Hello

Is there anyway to get a cheaper single ticket between Crewe and Warrington than the £9.80 one way? Obviously it can't be split, but are there any loopholes by starting or ending short?

I do not have any sort of rail card

thanks for your help

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Olympian

Chester to Warrington SDS is valid via Crewe and only £8.60 so start short on this and save £1.20.

Established Member
Some years ago, a West Coast RPI charged me £6 single talking rubbish saying Chester-Bank Quay wasn't valid via Crewe. On Sunday, there was a 3 hour break between trains via Frodsham. He was unfortunately so busy still giving me grief on the platform at Bank Quay, a certain Preston-based train manager shut the the doors and left him <D

Dopey Virgin as usual didn't respond to the letter demanding a refund.

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Chester to Halewood (or Hunts Cross) routed Warrington is slightly better at SDS £8.30

However, Halewood to Chester SDS £4.90

Both valid for CRE-WBQ (or the reverse).

There's also a £5.15 SDS Chester-Hunts Cross but it seems to be route restricted (don't have Advantix and there's no way of finding out on National Rail) Routed Birkenhead.

Last edited:

tony_mac

Established Member
Halewood to Chester SDS £4.90
Won't this now fail the 'fares check' rule for both of Halewood's routeing points?

I haven't checked it, but Earlestown to Chester (£6.40) route Warrington is being shown as valid via Crewe

Multiple Unit

Crewe to Garswood is £8.25 with A Rail Card for an Off Pk RTN if thats any use as Trains stops at WBQ before Wigan so may save a few quid

WestCoast

Established Member
When I mentioned Virgin RPI staff at Stockport on another forum someone replied saying that Virgin contract out RPI in the North West to G4S, like Northern do.

Isn't G4S a swear word on these forums now?;). I was passing through Manchester Piccadilly at about 3.20pm last week on a Saturday and they'd all buggered off!

Well they don't normally lurk on the Warrington-Wigan-Preston-Lancaster stretch.

TPE seem to employ their own RPIs I notice - seen them at Warrington Central.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
:o:o They actually exist?! How rare:lol:
I saw one of them in action once, he was incapable of looking up the restrictions on a Ipswich to Rugby SVR and spent most of the journey writing up a UPFN, which was then quashed by Virgin who eventually admitted that the ticket was valid (the conditions may have changed since then). With RPIs like that, they're better off without them! This was in 2006 I think as it was one of the final runs with a Class 87. (More info available via PM). Given that the guard had much more knowledge than he did and was quite capable, it was really pointless letting him check tickets on that train. Not seen him since, but then I rarely travel with Virgin.

I am aware of a complaint being made against Virgin barrier staff at Euston, not sure if they count as RPIs or not. I suspect compo will be dished out but nothing will be said to the staff for acting incorrectly, although a member of staff there assures me otherwise and I hope he proves my fears wrong!

I haven't checked it, but Earlestown to Chester (£6.40) route Warrington is being shown as valid via Crewe

just checking this price out on NR timetables / fare and shows a return ticket Earlestown to Chester with senior railcard discount as £4.80 but it doesn't show via Crewe. anyone able to confirm that via Crewe is a valid route for this ticket. Also do the Avantix tables show which routing points are valid for each class of ticket???. Afraid i cant get to grips with routing points maps:oops:

premier01

Chester to Warrington SDS is valid via Crewe and only £8.60 so start short on this and save £1.20.

Starting short? On an ANYTIME ticket-surely not-that's only allowed on Super Offpeak tickets-well based on EC trains logic : - )

island

Veteran Member
just checking this price out on NR timetables / fare and shows a return ticket Earlestown to Chester with senior railcard discount as £4.80 but it doesn't show via Crewe. anyone able to confirm that via Crewe is a valid route for this ticket.
The £4.80 ticket is routed WARRINGTON (it's 50p more for a route ANY PERMITTED, for what it's worth), so you must go through Warrington (either station will do, although I rather suspect it'll be Warrington Bank Quay).

Earlestown and Chester are both routeing points, so we go straight to the maps. The permitted routes are CL and ML.

Map CL takes you from Chester to Runcorn (via Hooton if you like), on to Warrington, then Earlestown.

ML is a bit more roundabout; you go to Liverpool either via Hooton or the long way around via Wrexham and Shotton, then you can either go on to Earlestown via Huyton, or instead do another runaround and go to Wigan then Manchester (via Bolton or Atherton) and back to Earlestown via Newton-le-Willows. That is not a valid route for the cheaper WARRINGTON ticket.

I doubt the National Rail system will pull up that route since it's longer, unless you tick for "Include slower trains".

For Earlestown to Chester read in reverse.

Also do the Avantix tables show which routing points are valid for each class of ticket???. Afraid i cant get to grips with routing points maps:oops:
No, Avantix is primarily for fares and restrictions.

northwichcat

Veteran Member
Well they don't normally lurk on the Warrington-Wigan-Preston-Lancaster stretch.

They do appear at Preston. Not sure about the other stations, I've only used Bank Quay at off peak times where there has been no RPI staff and I haven't used Wigan or Lancaster.

TPE seem to employ their own RPIs I notice - seen them at Warrington Central.

TPE also have their own RPI staff at Huddersfield.

In the former Arriva Trains Northern area, Northern Rail do employ their own RPI staff but in the former First North Western area they use G4S.

premier01

They do appear at Preston. Not sure about the other stations, I've only used Bank Quay at off peak times where there has been no RPI staff and I haven't used Wigan or Lancaster.

TPE also have their own RPI staff at Huddersfield.

In the former Arriva Trains Northern area, Northern Rail do employ their own RPI staff but in the former First North Western area they use G4S.

At Preston they consistently have the G4S jobsworths on the bridge between Platforms 2 and 3 but VT RPI's only occasionally as part of joint operations with the police.

As for TPE never seen them at Preston but seem to be regularly at Manchester Airport.

tony_mac

Established Member
Earlestown to Chester via Crewe is not a permitted route - but nationalrail and the ticketing websites all say that it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.