• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Busaholic

Veteran Member
It was a bit strange that Cummins didn't bring Hazlewood back for his remaining two overs.
Agreed, but a lot less strange than some of captain Bavuma's decisions, starting with his declaring himself fit for the game when he obviously wasn't. S.A. might still have won if they'd employed a slip when Australia still needed eighty runs or so and could obviously get them without undue risk if they didn't lose wickets. Afghanistan, in their last match, could have done the same if they'd given Rashid Khan a second slip, three chances there going begging in successive overs from him. Fortune to the brave!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Harvester

Established Member
India all out for 240, and despite losing 3 early wickets Australia are slowly grinding out a win! They now need 56 runs, with 7 wickets in hand and 16 overs remaining.

75A

Established Member
India all out for 240, and despite losing 3 early wickets Australia are slowly grinding out a win! They now need 56 runs, with 7 wickets in hand and 16 overs remaining.
Oz won by 6 wickets with 7 overs left.
Travis Head was out for 137 with just 2 runs required.
Australia lost their first 2 games in the competition and then won the next 9, making them champions for the 6th time.

Harvester

Established Member
Australia lost their first 2 games in the competition and then won the next 9, making them champions for the 6th time.
And rather ironically India won their first 10 games, then lost the last (in the final). They must be gutted!

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I know cricket is a team game, but sometimes, particularly in one day games, one person is so outstanding that they can be said to have effectively won the game for their side. Australia won the World Cup today through a stellar performance by Travis Head, including the stunning catch to remove Virat Kohli, but they only reached the final because of Glenn Maxwell's even greater innings a few days ago. Australia's side is not much younger than England's either, but appeared much more motivated throughout.

On Moderation
I know cricket is a team game, but sometimes, particularly in one day games, one person is so outstanding that they can be said to have effectively won the game for their side. Australia won the World Cup today through a stellar performance by Travis Head, including the stunning catch to remove Virat Kohli,
The catch was to remove Rohit Sharma. Kohli was out playing on to Cummins.

75A

Established Member
Interesting to reads that the Lancashire League have allowed a Ramsbottom Ladies XI to enter their 3rd section next season, good luck to em.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Interesting to reads that the Lancashire League have allowed a Ramsbottom Ladies XI to enter their 3rd section next season, good luck to em.
The jokers will have a field day with that name, unfortunately, pity it couldn't have been Haslingden or Colne, say.

SteveHFC

Going back to yesterday's World Cup final - I thought Australia were superb on the day - especially when bowling to keep India down to 240. I've always thought a lot of Pat Cummins - and he captained superbly and the Aussies thoroughly deserved to win. I did get the impression that some of the Indians thought the trophy was in the bag - but the scene was set for me when Warner edged the first ball in between Kohli at first slip and I think Gill at second slip and they both just looked at each other.

India were the best team of the tournament overall - but it's the result on the day that counts.

DelW

Established Member
Their 130000 fans in the ground were, never heard so much silence in a game involving India.
It doesn't invalidate your point, but there weren't quite that many, according to a discussion on TMS yesterday. The 130,000 capacity often quoted only applies to events like rallies or concerts, where spectators can occupy some or all of the playing area. For cricket matches, the capacity was said to be between 90,000 and 100,000. Still a heck of a lot, of course, and they all went very quiet when Australia were scoring freely.

75A

Established Member
It doesn't invalidate your point, but there weren't quite that many, according to a discussion on TMS yesterday. The 130,000 capacity often quoted only applies to events like rallies or concerts, where spectators can occupy some or all of the playing area. For cricket matches, the capacity was said to be between 90,000 and 100,000. Still a heck of a lot, of course, and they all went very quiet when Australia were scoring freely.
Doesn't really matter how many were there, they were really quiet, and I must admit the ground never at any point looked full.
Still an impressive stadium by English standards at least.

SteveM70

Established Member

Bloke I know somehow got a ticket and went. He said the crowd was given as 93,000 but probably only 30,000 there by the time Australia won and even less when they gave the trophy out

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Bloke I know somehow got a ticket and went. He said the crowd was given as 93,000 but probably only 30,000 there by the time Australia won and even less when they gave the trophy out
Not very good losers, although at least the very few Aussies in the crowd didn't appear to be hassled. I wonder if Ashwin had played his first game since the opener things might have turned out differently for India? It was being suggested he would play shortly before the start, whereas strike bowler Siraj played yet was relegated to third change and had no impact. Ashwin can bat too!

Harvester

Established Member
England 325 all out lose their first ODI against the West Indies, who reached 326-6 with an over to spare.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
If Jos Buttler was not the Captain would he even be in the squad, never mind the team, given his lack of form?
Malan and Willey were chosen as the fall guys from the recent fiasco, strange as they were two of only three imo, four at a stretch, who cane out of it with any credit. Curran and Livingstone were shown not to be suitable ODI players, so why pitch them in again? The notion that Livingstone is an all-rounder is laughable, he's no better a bowler than Root who certainly has never claimed to be one. Totally muddled thinking! Buttler doesn't have the requisite steeliness to be captain. Morgan, not nearly as 'nice' a guy as Buttler, did and was worth his middle order place until almost the end despite his lack of runs.

He has now got the unwanted record of the most runs conceded in a ODI by an England player.
Bet he's not top of the list when it comes to the IPL auctions next year!

SteveM70

Established Member
Rehan Ahmed - still a teenager - returned 10-1-40-2 for England, which was a decent performance albeit on a pitch that gave him a bit of help. And he's batting at 10 which feels a place or two too low, even with the current depth in the England lineup

HST43257

Established Member
Rehan Ahmed - still a teenager - returned 10-1-40-2 for England, which was a decent performance albeit on a pitch that gave him a bit of help.
I’m so glad for him. Rehan has 4 years to become a world class spinner and to be producing good scores, even if only against Ireland and West Indies, is so good so early on.

And he's batting at 10 which feels a place or two too low, even with the current depth in the England lineup
A testament to our continuing deep batting lineup. Carse, Curran, Ahmed could all be batting at 7 if needed, they do in First Class.

S. Curran...9.5 - 0 - 98 - 0 (Hit for 3 x 6 in final 5 balls)
I’d love to see Matthew Potts given a run as a new ball bowler. Just some proper and accurate right arm 83mph spells.

Malan and Willey were chosen as the fall guys from the recent fiasco, strange as they were two of only three imo, four at a stretch, who cane out of it with any credit.
They’re unfortunately the victims of age, as they’d be well too old for the 2027 WC.

Curran and Livingstone were shown not to be suitable ODI players, so why pitch them in again? The notion that Livingstone is an all-rounder is laughable, he's no better a bowler than Root who certainly has never claimed to be one. Totally muddled thinking!
I know he did ok-ish in this game, but Livingstone shouldn’t be selected as he’s not good enough with bat nor ball. Moving forward spinners automatically picked should be Jacks (opening) and Ahmed, plus Hartley if it’s a spinning wicket. All types of spin taken care of and all very decent batters (Hartley improving rapidly, and he can bowl new ball spin very well).

Buttler doesn't have the requisite steeliness to be captain. Morgan, not nearly as 'nice' a guy as Buttler, did and was worth his middle order place until almost the end despite his lack of runs.
He’s not worth his place in the side as a captain in the same way Morgan was, and if he can’t bat well he should be gone, at least to give TKC a chance at 6 until Buttler returns to form if/when he does. Duckett and Salt should be able to keep if Buttler isn’t in the side.

ian1944

I'm not convinced that Tom Hartley is an international spinner, but he's worth a try. Livingstone's supposed value as a bowler was being able to spin either way in the same over depending on the batter, but he rarely came off, nor has he dome much batting-wise since the first 100. Ahmed may well be the man, but it's hard to forget the English spinners who were to be the next big thing - for the oldies out there Ian Salisbury, more recently Matt Parkinson, incidentally the latest Lanky reject.

HST43257

Established Member
I'm not convinced that Tom Hartley is an international spinner, but he's worth a try.
Largely agreed but he’s young enough and good enough to work on in the limited overs formats, although it does sound like he could play in the India Tests…

He’s not going to get many wickets in any format, but he holds a line better than most, and uses his height to produce some good bounce. Very useful across the first half of an ODI or T20I innings as Mr Economical, where Ahmed would look for more wickets and Jacks would just be filling in with 5ish overs.

Just waiting for Lancs to forget about him as they have about all their previous spinners.

Livingstone's supposed value as a bowler was being able to spin either way in the same over depending on the batter, but he rarely came off
His leggies are worse than Root at this point, and his offies are even worse. If he used his different deliveries against the opposite hand (if that makes sense) then he’d have an ok level of variation, but he only bowls a poor leggie to the right hander, and an even poorer offie to the left hander.

nor has he dome much batting-wise since the first 100.
Swing and miss, leg side six, swing and miss bowled third ball - Average Livingstone innings

Ahmed may well be the man, but it's hard to forget the English spinners who were to be the next big thing
The difference between him and eg Parkinson being that Ahmed has variations he’s working on including an excellent googly and a few different leggies. I can only see the future being bright for him. It’s crucial that Leics stick with him, across formats batting aggressively at 7 and as no.1 spinner.

Matt Parkinson, incidentally the latest Lanky reject.
I feel so sorry for him, but he couldn’t succeed in the limited overs formats long term as he only has a stock delivery and no real variations ar all

HST43257

Established Member
His total number of sixes during the World Cup, despite playing in most games, was precisely 0
Oh even worse then!

It’s laughable. World Cup scores of 7, 20, 0, 10, 1, 27, 2 hardly justify his place one bit, never mind his average of 28 with the bat. The 2015-2019 and onwards team was built on players who ended up averaging 40+. He’s not worth keeping around in the ODIs. Guys like Kohler-Cadmore deserve their chance for the no.6 finisher role. Buttler and Livingstone should go, give Duckett or Salt the gloves, and play a proper spinner like Hartley in place of Livingstone.

Howardh

Established Member
Oh even worse then!

It’s laughable. World Cup scores of 7, 20, 0, 10, 1, 27, 2 hardly justify his place one bit, never mind his average of 28 with the bat. The 2015-2019 and onwards team was built on players who ended up averaging 40+. He’s not worth keeping around in the ODIs. Guys like Kohler-Cadmore deserve their chance for the no.6 finisher role. Buttler and Livingstone should go, give Duckett or Salt the gloves, and play a proper spinner like Hartley in place of Livingstone.
Livingstone's been no better for Lancashire in his rare 20/20 appearances last season. Think he needs to abandon franchise cricket altogether, and re-learn how to play the longer format, he can hit the ball further than anyone else (not that it matters, 80 yards or 120 yards is still just a "six") but he can't if he's back in the pavilion. Will he be picked for an IPL team, and if so what price? His value must have gone down in the last 6 months?

HST43257

Established Member
Livingstone's been no better for Lancashire in his rare 20/20 appearances last season.
I went to the Roses fixture at Headingley last season and saw a poor-ish Yorkshire beat the all-star Lancs team by 15 runs quite amazingly. Livingstone and Buttler both very poor throughout their 10ish game spells in the competition

Think he needs to abandon franchise cricket altogether, and re-learn how to play the longer format, he can hit the ball further than anyone else (not that it matters, 80 yards or 120 yards is still just a "six") but he can't if he's back in the pavilion.
Agreed. Irritatingly the calendar next year features no real possibility for him to play first class cricket with the combination of IPL, England and T20 Blast commitments, but if he wants to be anywhere near this ODI team he’s going to need to learn how to play cricket again. I dread that he may be in the India squad with his (stupid excuse for) spin bowling.

Will he be picked for an IPL team, and if so what price? His value must have gone down in the last 6 months?
I believe PBKS retained him? He seems to do well enough for them, with decent ish batting from 4 and an over or so of ’spin’

Purple Train

Established Member
Meanwhile, Mushfiqur Rahim was given out for obstructing the field in the second Test between Bangladesh and New Zealand. The only other player to have been given out for obstructing the field in Tests is Len Hutton in 1951, although Mushfiqur's dismissal would have been classified as handling the ball until that was subsumed into field obstruction.

It has been an interesting little series so far - Bangladesh won the first Test easily, and are on top in this one on a turning pitch. They batted first and scored 172 before reducing New Zealand to 55-5 by the close.