• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

muddythefish

On Moderation
And it's all done in 12.2 overs (with the dinner break interrupting the Kiwi innings) with Stuart Broad showing his true colours by bowling five wides to deny the batsmen the winning runs.

All the credit goes to NZ though, they had a shock against Scotland and did well to put that behind them and not make the same mistakes the next time a minnow team set them a deceptively small total.

Be careful. The tide will turn and then it will be our turn to make the silly jibes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
Might stay up and find a stream of Scotland/England. If it's starts at 11pm it might be all over by 2.30, unless Scotland are put in.

Phirstman

Might stay up and find a stream of Scotland/England. If it's starts at 11pm it might be all over by 2.30, unless Scotland are put in.

Starts at 10pm.

I stayed up to watch last nights debacle - was in bed by 6am which was unexpected - credit to Southee who bowled near unplayable deliveries to Bell, Ali and particularly Taylor.

The rest however was all England's wrong-doing.

Next game, I feel Ballance isn't quite ready for ODI's and needs to be binned for Hales. I also think Broad has to be dropped for Jordan. Broad needs a rocket up him and a game or two on the sidelines may help with that...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Is it too late to arrange a straight swap, one Irishman for another, Morgan for Joyce, they each seem to take it in turn to swap between countries anyway. Mind you, Morgan would probably have to be content with 12th man duties, not nearly strong enough to get into Ireland's team. KP not right about much imo but he probably was about Moores, who got lucky last summer.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
<(
To use a sporting comparison, that last England cricket performance was not dissimilar to the "performances" that Hyde FC have been turning in for the last two seasons...<(

The difference being that the England team 'earn' in a day what Hyde FC and half their supporters combined earn in a year.<(

DownSouth

Established Member
Is it too late to arrange a straight swap, one Irishman for another, Morgan for Joyce, ...
That would be most unfair for Joyce, who currently has a chance of progressing from the group stage.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I also think Broad has to be dropped for Jordan. Broad needs a rocket up him and a game or two on the sidelines may help with that...
He's royalty, any England coach that attempted to drop him would face the same fate that Greg Chappell did when he refused to bow and scrape to Sourav Ganguly.

It will only happen once Moores knows that his own position is untenable and that he has nothing to lose.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
It's Messrs Moores & Morgan that need a rocket up them!

I find it hard to blame Morgan, he was, after all, only handed the captaincy at the last minute. This debacle was inevitable after the idiotic handling of l'affaire Pietersen by Downton et al last year and the appointment of Moores (having already failed once as coach). I agree with DownSouth about Broad, he is unimpeachable for some reason.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I find it hard to blame Morgan, he was, after all, only handed the captaincy at the last minute. This debacle was inevitable after the idiotic handling of l'affaire Pietersen by Downton et al last year and the appointment of Moores (having already failed once as coach). I agree with DownSouth about Broad, he is unimpeachable for some reason.

Broad seems to occupy the same standing in England cricket's high circles as John Terry used to with England's football ones. Bulls and horns come to mind. Morgan never deserved his place as a player let alone captain, but I agree he's not to blame for the position he's been placed in. (I'm not being wise after the event, if you read my posts before the World Cup ever started). But I do blame him for the 'we mustn't panic, we'll bounce back' rhetoric: actually, panic is probably the only thing that will save them from exit after the quarter finals, if not before now that Bangla got a point for a washout. Panic might breed a bit of testosterone. Bounce is arrogance under another name, and we suffer far too much of it in England from the PM down.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Broad seems to occupy the same standing in England cricket's high circles as John Terry used to with England's football ones. Bulls and horns come to mind.
The real problem is who to replace him with. English bowling has been the chief problem in recent years, with a lack of penetration or depth. Swann was successful enough to cover most of the gaps, but fast bowlers are just not coming through well enough.
Morgan never deserved his place as a player let alone captain, but I agree he's not to blame for the position he's been placed in. (I'm not being wise after the event, if you read my posts before the World Cup ever started).
Morgan was worthy of his place a few years back, but has hung on too long. But, again, you need continuity in changing a team, so I guess his presence was there to provide the stability for younger ones to find their way in. KP really managed to screw up any question of stability, though :roll:
But I do blame him for the 'we mustn't panic, we'll bounce back' rhetoric: actually, panic is probably the only thing that will save them from exit after the quarter finals, if not before now that Bangla got a point for a washout. Panic might breed a bit of testosterone. Bounce is arrogance under another name, and we suffer far too much of it in England from the PM down.
That is pure waffle. Panic is what induces collapses. If you think England are "arrogant", you obviously don't understand the word! Try South Africa, West Indies, and the epitome of arrogance over the last half-century, Australia. [Of course, I realise "arrogant" is regarded as a synonym for "English" in sporting journalism, but we can move beyond that swamp]

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The real problem is who to replace him with. English bowling has been the chief problem in recent years, with a lack of penetration or depth. Swann was successful enough to cover most of the gaps, but fast bowlers are just not coming through well enough. Morgan was worthy of his place a few years back, but has hung on too long. But, again, you need continuity in changing a team, so I guess his presence was there to provide the stability for younger ones to find their way in. KP really managed to screw up any question of stability, though :roll:That is pure waffle. Panic is what induces collapses. If you think England are "arrogant", you obviously don't understand the word! Try South Africa, West Indies, and the epitome of arrogance over the last half-century, Australia. [Of course, I realise "arrogant" is regarded as a synonym for "English" in sporting journalism, but we can move beyond that swamp]

The waffle is 'we'll be alright on the night' then 'OK, we'll be alright tomorrow night' then 'we still have a great chance to go through to the quarterfinals if we play to our strengths' and so the drivel goes on. What is needed is (a) all press conferences cancelled until, at the very least, England secure a semi-final place (yeah, right) and a captain like Nasser Hussain telling it like it is. The trouble is, a captain being carried by the rest of the team. And if you don't believe in English arrogance read any history of the Bodyline tour or Peter Oborne's award-winning book on Basil d'Oliviera and then come back and tell me I don't know the meaning of the word arrogance.<(

muddythefish

On Moderation
The waffle is 'we'll be alright on the night' then 'OK, we'll be alright tomorrow night' then 'we still have a great chance to go through to the quarterfinals if we play to our strengths' and so the drivel goes on. What is needed is (a) all press conferences cancelled until, at the very least, England secure a semi-final place (yeah, right) and a captain like Nasser Hussain telling it like it is. The trouble is, a captain being carried by the rest of the team. And if you don't believe in English arrogance read any history of the Bodyline tour or Peter Oborne's award-winning book on Basil d'Oliviera and then come back and tell me I don't know the meaning of the word arrogance.<(

Different era and different people. Bandying the word "arrogance" around now with regards to England is just lazy and not true. For true sporting arrogance look no farther then the denizens of that fly-ridden open air nick 12,000 miles away.
Bounce is arrogance under another name, and we suffer far too much of it in England from the PM down.

What a load of bunkum - and I'm no fan of Cameron.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Perhaps the UK politics can be discussed on either a new thread or one of the already existing political discussion threads? That then leaves this one clear for cricket ;)

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Afghanistan 232 all out (49.4 overs)
Stanikzai 54 (1 x 6 / 5 x 4)

Malinga 3-41
Mathews 3-41

Sri Lanka 236-6 (48.2 overs)
Jayawardene 100 (1 x 6 / 8 x 4)

Hassan 3-45

A commendable performance by Afghanistan who batted for most of their allocated overs and a good 50 by Stanikzai.

Sri Lanka were given a very early warning not to treat this as an easy walkover with both their openers dismissed for ducks, then finding themselves at 2-2, 18-3 and 51-4 before the old warhorse produced an innings of note.

flymo

Established Member
I watched a thoroughly entertaining India vs South Africa game today in which both sides made a few mistakes but India totally outclassed South Africa big time. My money is on India to be in the final.

On a lighter note the English 'team' are up against Scotland in the late night hours, UK time, my English money is on Scotland. I bet we English even lose the toss as when it comes to tossing they are useless at the moment (or words to that effect).

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Good news! We're over half way through our innings and we've yet to utterly embarrass ourselves!

England currently 151-0 after 27 overs.

Not to worry there's still plenty of time for a dramatic late collapse...

Cletus

Established Member
Bell, Ballance, Root and Taylor are too similar.

It must be time to get Hales in the team and play modern one day cricket.

David Lloyd is right- "GET ON WITH IT"

Time for bed.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Good news! We're over half way through our innings and we've yet to utterly embarrass ourselves! England currently 151-0 after 27 overs.

Not to worry there's still plenty of time for a dramatic late collapse...

Well, they did have a slight "early" collapse, moving from 201-1 to 203-4<(......Losing three wickets for just two runs is never a pleasant experience.

Innings closed with England on 303-8.
Moeen 128 from 107 balls (5 x 6 / 12 x 4)

Scotland 184 all out (42.2 overs)
Coetzer 71 (11 x 4)

Finn 3-26

England win by 119 runs

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
England's biggest World Cup victory in terms of runs since beating East Africa at the inaugural WC in 1975, and ultimately as meaningless. Good to see Mooen back in form and Anderson getting a couple of wickets, also Finn putting the NZ pummelling behind him. Buttler apparently batted intelligently in the latter stages, took 4 catches and conceded no byes, so he is a fully-fledged keeper now. Most worrying were Bell's scratchiness (2 fours in 82 balls against Scotland in a one day game!) and the insistence of the management that Ballance is a one day no. 3 - 10 in 18 balls, no fours, after that huge opening stand. Do that against any test-playing side and they'll pulverise you. Taylor utterly wasted down the order. Moores and co. still don't get it.
I watched a thoroughly entertaining India vs South Africa game today in which both sides made a few mistakes but India totally outclassed South Africa big time. My money is on India to be in the final.

On a lighter note the English 'team' are up against Scotland in the late night hours, UK time, my English money is on Scotland. I bet we English even lose the toss as when it comes to tossing they are useless at the moment (or words to that effect).

Are you right to pin the blame for tossing on the tossers?;)

DownSouth

Established Member
England's biggest World Cup victory in terms of runs since beating East Africa at the inaugural WC in 1975, and ultimately as meaningless.
Indeed - but it might have helped a couple of the players put the NZ defeat behind them.

The next chance for a match to make a big impact on Pool A is if Bangladesh beat Sri Lanka at the MCG on Thursday. If everything else goes to plan (i.e. Australia and NZ each beat every other team, Sri Lanka beat England and Scotland, England beat Afghanistan and Bangladesh) that would have Bangladesh in third place and the last spot for the quarter-finals being decided between England and Sri Lanka on Net Run Rate.

Thursday is also the day that we'll probably see Afghanistan get their first win in World Cup history.

Do that against any test-playing side and they'll pulverise you. Taylor utterly wasted down the order. Moores and co. still don't get it.
South Africa learned this lesson the hard way on Sunday, they let the pressure down a bit and India grabbed the chance with both hands.

On the same day, Sri Lanka also played poorly - but like Scotland yesterday, Afghanistan were not able to seize the opportunity to put them away.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Chris Gayle in record-shattering mode today, but he could have been out for 0 - given not out LBW and review showed ball clipping bails, so umpire's call. Unlucky Zimbabwe!

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
West Indies 372-2 (50 overs)
Gayle 215 (16 x 6 / 10 x 4)
Samuels 133 not out (3 x 6 / 11 x 4)

Zimbabwe 289 all out (44.3 overs)
Williams 76 (9 x 4)
Ervine 52 (1 x6 / 7 x 4)

Taylor 3-38
Holder 3-48

372 is a rather splendid stand for any team to have made in a 50 over match.

ExRes

Established Member
Chris Gayle in record-shattering mode today, but he could have been out for 0 - given not out LBW and review showed ball clipping bails, so umpire's call. Unlucky Zimbabwe!

Indeed, a very normal sort of umpiring decision though, Taylor of Zimbabwe (minnows) was given out when the correct decision was not out while Gayle of West Indies (big boys) was given not out when the correct decision was out, and so the biased decisions will go on and on and on while the appearance of the smaller countries will continue to be questioned
West Indies 372-2 (50 overs)
Gayle 215 (16 x 6 / 10 x 4)
Samuels 133 not out (3 x 6 / 11 x 4)

Zimbabwe 289 all out (44.3 overs)
Williams 76 (9 x 4)
Ervine 52 (1 x6 / 7 x 4)

Taylor 3-38
Holder 3-48

372 is a rather splendid stand for any team to have made in a 50 over match.

Looks a jolly good score on paper but we all know that it should have been 1-2 after 4 balls, what might the outcome have been then ?

DownSouth

Established Member
Indeed, a very normal sort of umpiring decision though, Taylor of Zimbabwe (minnows) was given out when the correct decision was not out while Gayle of West Indies (big boys) was given not out when the correct decision was out, and so the biased decisions will go on and on and on while the appearance of the smaller countries will continue to be questioned
The idea that the West Indies will be getting favourable treatment at this World Cup after crapping all over the BCCI's lawn (i.e. abandoning a tour of India) late last year is ludicrous in the least.

The Zimbabwean captain was obviously very confident in the standard of the umpires selected for the match if he used his one review on such a marginal call instead of saving it for a howler.