• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

andrew bell

Lyth, as we knew already, is making his debut today ( cap no 666) and so is Mark Wood (#667) in place of the retired Trott and Chris Jordan

Brendan McCullum won the toss and elected to field first.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DownSouth

Established Member
A good counter-attack from Root and Stokes to put on 94 from 106 balls without further wickets since then. The partnership is now just just 29 runs short of England's total from the last time they played NZ in any format.

If this is what ABC reported, then it's at odds with the reports in one of last Sunday's British newspapers quoting Langer as seriously considering any such offer with his head, but not with his heart, and in the end it was family considerations that swayed him to stay put: not that he was formally offered anything anyway, it's not in Strauss's gift! Just two old Middlesex buddies chewing the cud!
I expect that those papers reported on what they were told by the ECB, without getting a first-hand account from either Strauss or JL.

The ECB would of course have a vested interest in telling anyone who is willing to listen that no formal offer was rejected. I can't see anyone in the business buying that, they would know that the real work is all done well before it gets to the formal presentation of a contract.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
When England were reduced to 30-4, I decided to do something far more entertaining, so I decided to clear out one of the small outhouses instead ..:roll:

Well, it went to script for the first hour, but I was most impressed with the counter-attack by Root and Stokes......some very un-English batting there!
I hope that the outhouse is now looking better, but you missed some excellent cricket!

Whistler40145

Established Member
Yet another failure at the crease by Captain Cook, what an absolute waste of time he is, you cannot carry someone just because they're the captain. One century in the West Indies isn't sufficient in my mind to keep your place, you could be kind enough to let him play in the Ashes, then whether we win or not, give him the boot, not only as Captain, but from the squad.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Pity that Buttler fell to the last ball of the day, but 354-7 is a great improvement from 30-4. Perhaps England have decided to move their usual mid-order collapse further up the batting order..:roll:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Lyth, as we knew already, is making his debut today (cap no 666)

Now what is in your posting above that reminds me of something from the film The Omen

Last edited:

DownSouth

Established Member
Very interesting course of play.

It would appear that the same Brendan McCullum strategy applies to NZ's approach to bowling (and therefore the batting approach needed by their opposition) in a Test as it does in an ODI. The McCullum bowling strategy is all about accounting for their lack of depth by blowing away the opposition quickly because they don't have much depth in their bowling stocks. A team that can see off that early Southee-Boult attack with minimal damage can then cash in and score big when the others come on.

With upcoming Test series against both England and NZ coming up later this year, I'm 100% sure that Darren Lehmann would have been sitting up late last night to watch the game with his pen and notebook at the ready.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
To use a comparative analogy from the game of football, on present form would England v. New Zealand equate to Sunderland v. Arsenal ?
In the close of play analysis, one must look to how both teams top order batsmen fared, whereas England were 30-4 at one stage in their first innings, New Zealand ended day 2 in their first innings on 303-2. Both the openers registered 50's before being dismissed, their number three is unbeaten with another 50, their number four is almost there at 47 not out.....and extras going strong on 35 and looking likely to also register a 50..<(

Last edited:

DownSouth

Established Member
Shane Watson's availability for the upcoming Tests against the West Indies and England is in doubt due to the upcoming birth of his child. The jury is out on which team this will benefit :p

An interesting statistical analysis of players' ups and downs was published on ESPNcricinfo today.

What is most incredible is that it revealed that the "worst" run of ten Tests during Sir Donald Bradman's career still had him scoring 997 runs at an average of 71.2 and with a highest score of 299 not out.
Lunch on day three and the Black Caps have a lead of 18 runs with six wickets still in hand and McCullum the only batsman out short of a fifty so far.

I'm guessing that the way this will go is that McCullum will declare during the third session and make the hosts squirm their way through ten overs of Southee and Boult before close.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Deciding to push during on the third day, New Zealand were 403-4 at one time and all just all out for 523, giving them a first innings lead of 134 runs.

I see my forecast of "Extras" getting a 50 was proved correct...In fact the "score" of 67 was the third highest in the New Zealand innings<(
The England second innings has just seen an unbroken century stand between Cook and Root to take them on to 175-3

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Deciding to push during on the third day, New Zealand were 403-4 at one time and all just all out for 523, giving them a first innings lead of 134 runs.

I see my forecast of "Extras" getting a 50 was proved correct...In fact the "score" of 67 was the third highest in the New Zealand innings<(
The England second innings has just seen an unbroken century stand between Cook and Root to take them on to 175-3

Root just out, missing a deserved century for the second time in the match. Their stand of over 150 was in fact the first time they'd ever put on a century together, which, given Root's profligacy, shows how below par Cook has been for a while, up to the last couple of games.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Root just out, missing a deserved century for the second time in the match. Their stand of over 150 was in fact the first time they'd ever put on a century together, which, given Root's profligacy, shows how below par Cook has been for a while, up to the last couple of games.

Now is the time for Cook to emulate Bill Lawry.
England now moved on to 429-6 at close of play on day 4...
Cook 153 not out
Root 84
Stokes 101

England take a lead of 295 going forward into the final day.

Last edited:

muddythefish

On Moderation
Why has no one mentioned an extraordinary display by Ben Stokes yesterday ?

I was at Lord's yesterday and it was the most remarkable display of hitting i have seen - and that includes Flintoff and Botham.

Stokes is a talent all right - let's hope he becomes at least as good as those two.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
England were all out in their second innings for 478, with Cook finally falling for 162 on the final day. Boult returned figures of 34-8-85-5.

In their second innings, after 13 overs have been bowled, New Zealand are 21-3, still needing another 324 runs to win.

Last edited:

DownSouth

Established Member
It is being reported that Trevor Bayliss - and not any of the other four Australian candidates mentioned in this thread - is to be appointed as the new England coach.

Jason Gillespie is understood to have indicated his lack of interest due to concerns about the chain of command.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
It is being reported that Trevor Bayliss - and not any of the other four Australian candidates mentioned in this thread - is to be appointed as the new England coach.

He is an Australian, who as you say, had not been mentioned in this thread, but nonetheless, someone with experience to bring to the position.
After Stokes took two wickets in two balls to reduce New Zealand to 61-5 in their second innings, they have made a recovery and after 31 overs, they are now 109-5, still needing 236 more runs to win.

ExRes

Established Member

Silly man, what does he know about cricket though, he should stick to making wind up radios

;)

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Anyone in the area can get in for £10 (under-16 and over-65s free) after the Tea interval or after the seventh wicket goes down.

DownSouth

Established Member
Silly man, what does he know about cricket though, he should stick to making wind up radios

;)
Given that Alistair Cook has been in trouble for failing to meet required over rates, someone who can make wind-up clocks could be a useful pick as the England coach :p

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Cautious optimism I would say. New Zealand are a pretty good side at the moment but Australia are better.

Very pleased for Stokes and Wood, always nice to see our players doing well for England even if it means we'll be without them for long stretches of time.

Phirstman

I should imagine that not many sides in a 5-day Test Match score over 500 runs in their first innings, giving them a first innings lead of over 100 runs...then proceed to lose the Test Match.

New Zealand's 523 was the tenth highest innings score in Test history where the same team went on to lose.

Amazing match with over 1600 runs scored and all 40 wickets dropping!