• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Pakenhamtrain

History being made today with the first ever international Day/Night test match.
Currently at the "Lunch/tea" NZ are 2/80.

Today also marks 1 year since the tragic death of Phil Hughes.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Pakenhamtrain

At the Dinner break. NZ 7/173.

The umpires and players are on thier way out for the historic twilight/night session.

NZ bowled out for 202.
It won't be an easy task for Australia. It's in that twilight part of the day where things during shield games have become interesting.

OFr316B.png

Last edited:

Whistler40145

Established Member
Blimey, it doesn't feel like a year since Phil Hughes passed away.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It's just been announced that Steve Croft has replaced Tom Smith as Lancashire County Cricket Club Captain, Tom Smith says focussing on getting back to fitness is his main priority.

Pakenhamtrain

And that's stumps on the Day night test.
AUS:
2/50 Smith 24 Voges 9.

As expected the batting was harder in the evening session. Easily the best day's cricket of the series so far.
The ball was quite visible for all of the evening.
First impressions I'm giving it a tick. Something worth the effort for. Interesting to see how the remaining 4 days will play out.

Pakenhamtrain

How is the pink ball doing?

Dusk when NZ were bowled out it was still quite visible on the TV. That was 65.2 overs of use. The Australian innings in the dark the ball while still relatively new looked in good nick. I think the addition of a bit of grass to the surface has helped it last a bit.
Chris Rodgers who is in the ABC com box has said he didn't have trouble seeing it. As we know he has said in the past he would struggle to see it due to his colour blindness.
The best bit is we haven't had to replace one yet!

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oh good, I was a bit concerned by some of the comments earlier on here and elsewhere but that sounds much more positive!

andrew bell

If this trial game (which this test match essentially is) proves day/night test cricket can work then perhaps other teams can try it out and make it more accessible for the younger generation, could perhaps sell full day tickets for £50 and the 2 evening sessions for say £30-£35.

Pakenhamtrain

What they did yesterday was they had tickets on sale for the final session for 20 dollars.

Starc has a fracture in his ankle and will miss the rest of the summer. Australia sent out the massage therapist as the sub fielder.

Day two all done and dusted.
Australia were bowled out for 224. First session had something like 6/60 in it. It might of ended earlier had Umpire Llong not stuffed up an obvious DRS call. Lyon decided to make the most of it and go for a bit of a hit. Starc went out to bad and just smashed things to the fence. Couldn't run to save himself.
NZ finished with 5/116

Of interest is this:
https://www.instagram.com/p/-kkY-op2yK/
New 20 and 30 overs old.

Last edited:

Cletus

Established Member
What I watched of the Australia v New Zealand test match was very enjoyable. Quite rare recently to see an even test match.

Hopefully the Nigel Llong 3rd umpire decision won't affect his umpiring career in the long term.

in England we miss the good English umpires in the test matches. With DRS, reviews, etc, i think cricket can afford one home umpire in a test match if the review system is being used.

Pakenhamtrain

What I watched of the Australia v New Zealand test match was very enjoyable. Quite rare recently to see an even test match.

Hopefully the Nigel Llong 3rd umpire decision won't affect his umpiring career in the long term.

in England we miss the good English umpires in the test matches. With DRS, reviews, etc, i think cricket can afford one home umpire in a test match if the review system is being used.

Llong's decision was a stinker. He's saying there was no conclusive evidence. What was the front on HotSpot showing then? There's a clear mark on the bat and if you look at the ball a mark on it! Look at the other two and it's more than conclusive on HotSpot.
I think he had doubts when RTS showed nothing.

Cletus

Established Member
England win a low-scoring super over in the last T20 to sweep the series.

Chris Jordan much maligned (especially by me) bowled probably the best over of his career.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I'm absolutely flabbergasted. It wasn't too long ago that England were really seen to be stronger in Test matches, but now we've been proven wrong that we can't perform well in ODIs and T20s, may this be the turning point.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
England win a low-scoring super over in the last T20 to sweep the series.

Chris Jordan much maligned (especially by me) bowled probably the best over of his career.

Ir will have done his confidence no end of good, to be entrusted with that super over and then to bowl like he did. An inspired choice! Got to feel sorry for Boom Boom Afridi, who batted and bowled superbly, yet ended on the losing side.

Cletus

Established Member
Without Afridi's batting, bowling & leadership, I don't think that any of the games would have been close.

I wonder how long he is going to carry on?

Pakistan looked a very old side for an international T20 team.

ps: especially enjoyed the Pakistan team's regular comedy run-outs :lol:

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Tour match

West Indians..... 243 and 210

Cricket Australia XI.....444 and 13-0

A rather easy win by 10 wickets. There were worries that an innings defeat was on the cards when West Indians were 97-7 in their second innings until their late batting order showed some mettle, with Holder leading the way with 65.

ExRes

Established Member
Certainly a need for some anti-excitement pills in Delhi, chasing 481 to win SA finished the 4th day on 72-2 from 72 overs, leading the rush was Amla 23* from 207 balls, de Villiers 11* from 91 and Bavuma 34 from 117

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Certainly a need for some anti-excitement pills in Delhi, chasing 481 to win SA finished the 4th day on 72-2 from 72 overs, leading the rush was Amla 23* from 207 balls, de Villiers 11* from 91 and Bavuma 34 from 117

Day 5 saw South Africa progress from 113-3 to 143 all out. India won by the very large margin of 337 runs.

The bowling returns in that second innings by the India top four bowlers make astonishing reading:-
I. Sharma.......20 - 12 - 23 - 0
Ashwin...........49 - 26 - 61 - 5
Jajeda............46 - 33 - 26 - 2
Yadav.............21 - 16 -- 9 - 3

Oswyntail

Established Member
Certainly a need for some anti-excitement pills in Delhi....

The bowling returns in that second innings by the India top four bowlers make astonishing reading:-
I. Sharma.......20 - 12 - 23 - 0
Ashwin...........49 - 26 - 61 - 5
Jajeda............46 - 33 - 26 - 2
Yadav.............21 - 16 -- 9 - 3
That could actually be pretty exciting. The tension in a defensive situation like that can be palpable. Not everything needs flash and bash

Abdul Rehman

AB, Faf and Hashim defended brilliantly, but in the end, Indians have gone through their defense.

Cletus

Established Member
I see Nigel Llong umpiring New Zealand's test match today after his mistake as TV umpire in Australia.

I wonder if the Kiwis made up with him. I heard nothing about the incident during the commentary.

Pakenhamtrain

The first test between Australia and the West Indies underway in front of a crowd
of approximately stuff all.

This is grade cricket standard from the Windies. New ball available and they keep the part timer on and a bowler who bowls pies. New Ball still available.

Stumps day 1: AUS: 3/438

Cletus

Established Member
I bet the West Indies were really happy when Australia were 3 wickets down for only 121 runs!

Pakenhamtrain

I bet the West Indies were really happy when Australia were 3 wickets down for only 121 runs!

It changed to a frown after Voges scored a century off 100 balls.
They let the runs flow and they spread the field. Easy runs in the end

To think I have Gold Reserve seats in the Ponsford stand to watch this come boxing day. I'll be watching a batting masterclass or the windies get bowled out for 100.

Jim Maxwell on ABC Grandstand apparently ripped into the Windies. Something he doesn't do very often if at all.

Last edited:

Fahad

Australia 438 for 3 against West Indies
New Zealand 409 for 8 against Sri Lanka

You don't get to witness 847 runs on the 1st day of a Test match.

This is beyond amazing!