• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Busaholic

Veteran Member
IND vs SRI
India lost a first T20 in their home, against a new Srilankan side. It was green top and Indian batsman just couldn't handle the swing, pace and bounce. Virat didn't play.
IND 101/6 18.1 overs
SRI 105/5 18 overs

Just a slight correction, Abdul, in that India were bowled out for 101 in those 18.1 overs. Ashwin contributed well for India with both bat and ball but to no avail. What a fine player he is, and largely unsung outside Asia.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Another West Indies farce in the making it seems! Sounds like the players have four days to agree to the terms offered by the WICB or they will be treated as having refused selection for the World T20. I must admit if the WICB have tried to reduce their payment by more than 50% compared to the previous tournament then it would seem that they might have a valid complaint!

Cricinfo have the story here.

WI players given four days to accept terms

The prospect of West Indies sending a second-string team to the World T20 has increased after the sides failed to reach agreement in their contract impasse.

WICB CEO Michael Muirhead responded to the players' request for a doubling of their remuneration package in the tournament by reiterating the view that the compensation package was agreed with the players' union, WIPA, last year and would not be changed on the eve of the event.

Muirhead also stated that any player who had not confirmed their acceptance of the current contacts by February 14 would be presumed to have refused selection.

With only days to go before that deadline, it is becoming hard to see how agreement can be reached. The breakdown in the relationship between international players and their union would appear to have robbed the parties even of the mechanism for meaningful dialogue and there seems little time for Caricom leaders to intervene.

The possibility that West Indies will send a second string squad unable to reflect their No. 2 position in the T20 rankings and, as a consequence, tarnish the tournament, is real and growing.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Another West Indies farce in the making it seems! Sounds like the players have four days to agree to the terms offered by the WICB or they will be treated as having refused selection for the World T20. I must admit if the WICB have tried to reduce their payment by more than 50% compared to the previous tournament then it would seem that they might have a valid complaint!

Cricinfo have the story here.

All so sad for all true cricket lovers, and it seems an intractable problem. I can see (and rue) the day when West Indies ceases to exist as a cricket team, in any true sense at least. When was the last time a full strength team was able to be picked? Must be eight or nine years at least.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
4th ODI International

England looked well set at 87-1, than Hales was caught by a substitute fielder having just made his 50. Then the slump occurred and when the last wicket just fell, the score was 106-6...<(
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A late order recovery of sorts with Root 109 with 1 x 6 and 10 x 4, assisted by Rashid (39) and Woakes (33) still saw them all out for 262 in 47.5 overs.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Stuart Broad bowled like Chris Jordan :(

South Africa, set 263 to win, were in need of a late order batsman to help to move the score moving at a higher rate, as they were 210-8 at one stage, and it was the number eight batsman, Morris, who obliged with 62 with 4 x 6 and 3 x 4 who rose to the task and South Africa reached 266-9 after 47.2 overs to square the series at 2-2.

In response to your comment about the bowling of Broad, all I can do is to give his bowling return of 7-0-55-1 at an "economy" rate of 7.86 runs per over.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Stuart Broad bowled like Chris Jordan :(

Just a pity he can't field like Chris Jordan.:lol:

The old adage that you have to bat the full fifty overs to have a chance of winning was borne out here. Another 16 balls and maybe 10 or 12 runs might have seen us through.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
5th ODI International

England batting first and are 79-2 from the first 16 overs. Tahir has dismissed both Roy (8) and Root (27).

England all out for 236 in 45 overs with Hales making 112. Five wasted final overs not used.

Three wickets each for Tahir, Rabada and Wiese.

**********************************************************************************
The old adage that you have to bat the full fifty overs to have a chance of winning was borne out here. Another 16 balls and maybe 10 or 12 runs might have seen us through.

That said, South Africa reached their target in only 47.2 overs, so they too could have scored more runs from their remaining 16 balls.

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
5th ODI International

England batting first and are 79-2 from the first 16 overs. Tahir has dismissed both Roy (8) and Root (27).

England all out for 236 in 45 overs with Hales making 112. Five wasted final overs not used.

Three wickets each for Tahir, Rabada and Wiese.

**********************************************************************************

That said, South Africa reached their target in only 47.2 overs, so they too could have scored more runs from their remaining 16 balls.

Of course they could, but they only had the one wicket left, with Tahir a genuine no. 11. Always a good chance of a run-out in those situations.

Anyway, as usual where England are concerned, the celebrations came far too early after the second ODI, and now we've lost the series, having been trounced today. Only Hales, Root and Buttler can be said to have enhanced their credentials and, once again, I do query whether Morgan is worth his place in the team, let alone captain. The occasional good score is not enough.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Anyway, as usual where England are concerned, the celebrations came far too early after the second ODI, and now we've lost the series, having been trounced today. Only Hales, Root and Buttler can be said to have enhanced their credentials and, once again, I do query whether Morgan is worth his place in the team, let alone captain. The occasional good score is not enough.

South Africa did recover well from the shock of Topley taking those three early wickets to leave them at 22-3 and that very good stand of 124 between de Villiers who made 101 not out with 1 x 6 and 11 x 4 and Amla was made just at the right moment and then there was also the innings of Wiese with 41 not out which saw them reach the winning target with six overs to spare and enabled them to record a 3-2 series win.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
1st Twenty20 International

England have just this minute closed on 134-8, with Buttler top scoring on 32 not out from 30 balls.

Good bowling return by Tahir ... 4-0-21-4

In response South Africa scored 135-7, reaching the target off the last ball bowled, but England missed a run out off that final ball.

****************************************************************************************************************************
I can see (and rue) the day when West Indies ceases to exist as a cricket team, in any true sense at least

How well has baseball been received in the islands over the last 10 years?

Last edited:

Phirstman

Brendan McCullum in his 101st and final Test Match for NZ has hammered 145 from just 79 balls to recover his side from 32-3 in 20 overs to 370 in 65 overs, the side scoring 340 or so runs in the last 45 overs in excess of 7 runs per over...

In reply the Aussies have carefully made their way to 59-1 at the close.

andrew bell

Brendan McCullum in his 101st and final Test Match for NZ has hammered 145 from just 79 balls to recover his side from 32-3 in 20 overs to 370 in 65 overs, the side scoring 340 or so runs in the last 45 overs in excess of 7 runs per over...

In reply the Aussies have carefully made their way to 59-1 at the close.

Brendon McCullum's century wasn't only his potentially final test century, but the fastest EVER test century, scored off 54 balls, 2 balls fewer than Sir Viv Richards and (I believe) Misbah. Brendon was 82 off 50 balls, then went 6,4,4,4 in consecutive balls to bring up the world record

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Brendon McCullum's century wasn't only his potentially final test century, but the fastest EVER test century, scored off 54 balls, 2 balls fewer than Sir Viv Richards and (I believe) Misbah. Brendon was 82 off 50 balls, then went 6,4,4,4 in consecutive balls to bring up the world record

A magnificent achievement, only made possible by DRS though. He got caught on 39, but the automatic check now on the bowler overstepping the mark meant he was safe! He will be only the second NZ batsman to make a century in his last test, the first being someone called Redmond who only plated one test,

I'm always sad when a Richards record is broken, as I consider him to have been the most magnificent batsman in the sixty years I've been following cricket, but his strike rate overall in that innings remains the best of any score over 100 in test cricket.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Second Twenty20 International

England batted first and were 157-3 at one stage with Buttler scoring 54 from 28 balls with 4 x 6 and 6 x 4 then proceeded to collapse to 171 all out from 19.4 overs.

South Africa set off with a will and 125 runs were put on from the opening pair with de Villiers 71 with 6 x 6 and 6 x 4 and Amla 69 not out with 3 x 6 an 3 x 4 and soon reached the winning score of 172-1 from only 14.4 overs.

What do you think of the following bowling returns:-
Jordan.....2.4 - 0 - 48 - 0
Topley.....2 - 0 - 32 - 0
Stokes.....3 - 0 - 32 - 0

Last edited:

Busaholic

Veteran Member
That had to have been one of the worst hours in England cricket history. :oops:

It'll soon be forgotten.
The batsman who provided the correct answer to the pub quiz question 'who ended his test career with a better batting average than Don Bradman?' has died, aged 95. His name was Andy Ganteaume and he played one test (you guessed it) for the West Indies against England in 1947/8, scoring 112 in his only innings. He was a replacement for an injured batsman, who returned for the next test and poor Ganteaume never played for Windies again. There was probably more to it than that, but it is conjecture.

On a personal note, I may even have seen Ganteaume play. Apparently, he was selected for the tour of England in 1957, but he didn't make the test team. The first time I ever saw first class cricket was Kent v W.Indies, and I believe I saw the Windies fielding, so, if he was playing, I'd have seen him. I'd have preferred to have seen the Don, though!

backontrack

Established Member
Sadly, Martin Crowe has died aged 53 from cancer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/32680286

BBC Sport said:
Martin Crowe: Ex-New Zealand captain dies of cancer at 53

Former New Zealand captain Martin Crowe has died of cancer at the age of 53.

The ex-Black Caps batsman had been suffering from lymphoma, a cancer of the immune system, for a second time.

He received the all-clear from the disease in 2012 but confirmed in September 2014 that it had returned.

Auckland-born Crowe is widely regarded as one of New Zealand's best players, scoring 17 centuries and 5,444 runs in 77 Tests at an average of 45.36.

His family announced his death "with heavy hearts", adding that he "passed away peacefully" on Thursday.

Crowe captained the Kiwis in 16 Test matches and his highest score was 299 against Sri Lanka in Wellington in 1991.

Named one of Wisden's Cricketers of the Year in 1985, he...

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Sadly, Martin Crowe has died aged 53 from cancer.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/cricket/32680286

A very fine cricketer and a fine man. I never saw him in person, but I believe, like another overseas cricketer who played for Somerset, Viv Richards, he had a sublime on-drive, a stroke that only the true great right-handed batsmen can play.

Happier news is that the gasometer at Kennington Oval has been recommended for Grade 2 listing by English Heritage.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
In the warm-up match for the World Twenty20 between Scotland and Oman, matters did not go Scotlands's way.

Oman batted first and Maqsood (58) and Ali had an opening stand of 72 and despite Watt returning figures of 3-22, Oman closed their 20 overs on 161-6.

Scotland had the worst possible start, being 14-4 at one stage, before making their recovery. Vatcha took 3-26 and Scotland still fell short, closing their 20 overs on 147-6.
**********************************************************************************************************

1st Twenty20 International

Australia 157-9 (20 overs)
Tahir 3-21

South Africa 158-7 (19.2 overs)
Miller 53 not out from 35 balls
Coulter-Nile 3-29

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I'm not Stuart Broad's biggest fan, but credit where it's due:- of the bowlers who have taken 300 test wickets (all 29 of them) he has the highest percentage of nos 3-6 batsmen as victims = 43.5, Lance Gibbs second with 42.7. Next highest pace bowler is Brett Lee with 40.7.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
I'm not Stuart Broad's biggest fan, but credit where it's due:- of the bowlers who have taken 300 test wickets (all 29 of them) he has the highest percentage of nos 3-6 batsmen as victims = 43.5, Lance Gibbs second with 42.7. Next highest pace bowler is Brett Lee with 40.7.

Have you any figures for Jimmy Anderson on a similar premise for nos 1-2 batsmen?

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
World Twenty20...Group B

Afghanistan 170-5
The early part of their innings was highlighted by the opener Shazad with 61 not out with 3 x 6 and 5 x 4 well aided by Stanikzai with 55 from 50 balls to set Scotland a hard target from them to aim at.

Scotland 156-5
A remarkable opening stand by Munsey and Coetzer saw 84 being added from only nine overs, but the spinners came on to apply a check to the run rate and in the end, Scotland were still 14 runs short.
********************************************************************************************************

World Twenty20... Group A

Ireland 154-5 (20 overs)
Ansari 3-37

Oman 157-8 (19.4 overs)
In the run chase, the opening pair of Maqsood (38 from 33 balls) and Khawar (34 from 26 balls) gave Oman the ideal start by scoring 69 for the first wicket, but the Ireland bowlers began to make regular inroads and Ireland looked set to win, then the Oman number 7 Amir played just the required type of innings, scoring 32 from only 17 balls, and Oman won with two balls to spare.

Oswyntail

Established Member
.... Oman won with two balls to spare.
The last over was catastrophic! IIRC: 1 - No ball, scored 4; 2: Free hit - batsman bowled, but not out and scored 4; 3:Batsman caught behind despite not getting within a foot of the ball; 4: No ball, sails over the stumps, through the wicketkeeper's legs and to the boundary for four. The bowler had given away 20 runs in the previous over, as well.
So our two "local" teams, both widely tipped to cause shock results in the tournament, both did:roll:
And now Scotland lose to Zimbabwe, so are out of contention. Their bowlers did well, but their batting was dismal at the top of the order.
I wonder if anyone can tell me the comparative Win/Loss ratio across any relevant sports after the Scots team started using that awful dirge as a "National Anthem". It is surely not very motivational to be reminded the last time they won anything was several hundred years ago.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The last over was catastrophic! IIRC: 1 - No ball, scored 4; 2: Free hit - batsman bowled, but not out and scored 4; 3:Batsman caught behind despite not getting within a foot of the ball; 4: No ball, sails over the stumps, through the wicketkeeper's legs and to the boundary for four. The bowler had given away 20 runs in the previous over, as well.
So our two "local" teams, both widely tipped to cause shock results in the tournament, both did:roll:
And now Scotland lose to Zimbabwe, so are out of contention. Their bowlers did well, but their batting was dismal at the top of the order.
I wonder if anyone can tell me the comparative Win/Loss ratio across any relevant sports after the Scots team started using that awful dirge as a "National Anthem". It is surely not very motivational to be reminded the last time they won anything was several hundred years ago.

All I can tell you is that Scotland's cricketers have played 20 matches in ICC tournaments spread over the last 17 years and have lost 19 of them.... and before you get too excited, the 20th was washed out!
Scotland have beaten Hong Kong! Unfortunately, a meaningless match as both were already out of the T20 tournament, but it should be good for future morale.

In a 'friendly' the hosts India were narrowly beaten by SA.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
World Twenty20... Group B

Afghanistan 186-6 (20 overs)
Number 6 batsman Nabi scored 52 from 32 balls to keep the run rate high when required.
Panyangara 3-32

Zimbabwe 127 all out (19.4 overs)
Not one Zimbabwe batsman reached 20 and their highest scorer was their number 10 batsman Panyangara (who also took three wickets).
Khan 3-11.

About as decisive a win in a 20 overs World Twenty20 match as could be hoped for.
In a 'friendly' the hosts India were narrowly beaten by SA.

In a similar match between New Zealand and England, New Zealand batted first and scored 169-8 from their 20 overs. Williamson scored 63 from 39 balls. Rashid was the pick of the England bowlers with 3-15.

In reply, England scored 170-4 (19.2 overs) and Roy 55 and Hales 44 put on an opening stand of 77. The score then gradually began to fall below the rate required, then Buttler came in and played a middle order cameo short innings of 24 not out from only 9 balls to put the run rate back on track and England won with four balls to spare.