• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cricket

Howardh

Established Member
So if Stokes is out injured who captains the next Test?
Jennings could come in, Lancs captain and former Test opener, and there's Buttler who can do three jobs...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

75A

Established Member
The obvious person for me is Bairstow, he's out of form as a Wicky & a Batter, so let's see what he's like as a Captain!
It'll be 3-0 to Oz anyway, so what the heck,

prod_pep

Established Member
Surely Australia have to drop Warner sooner or later? Great player but with consistent failures with the bat of late and his record against Broad, he looks like their weak link.

75A

Established Member
Another one bites the dust........... what's the matter with Bairstow? another dropped catch.
Luckily for him Brook held one 2 balls later.
Maybe he should be given the gloves.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
An interesting first innings comparison....

Australia scored 263, of which Marsh scored 118, meaning that all the other batsmen (and extras) only added 145 between them.

England scored 237, of which Stokes scored 80, meaning that all the other batsmen (and extras) only added 157 between them.

Purple Train

Established Member
If England can break this partnership today, I would reckon them on top.

Pleasingly for England, Australia have only had one extra so far in this second innings, a leg-bye.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The obvious person for me is Bairstow, he's out of form as a Wicky & a Batter, so let's see what he's like as a Captain!
It'll be 3-0 to Oz anyway, so what the heck,
Actually, the obvious person is Ali. He has a good record as a one day captain: alternatively. Root should be asked to stand in for one test. If Foakes was unavailable, the other Ollie Robinson (the one without historical racist tweets and fitness issues) should be given a chance. Kent were mad to let him go, but they've made a lot of dubious decisions re wicket keepers in the last twenty years or so.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Actually, the obvious person is Ali. He has a good record as a one day captain: alternatively. Root should be asked to stand in for one test. If Foakes was unavailable, the other Ollie Robinson (the one without historical racist tweets and fitness issues) should be given a chance. Kent were mad to let him go, but they've made a lot of dubious decisions re wicket keepers in the last twenty years or so.
I would agree with Moeen Ali. It clearly would only be a temporary arrangement, and as you have mentioned he has captained the one day side in Buttler's absence.
I don't think that I have ever read anything about the suitability of Bairstow as captain, perhaps he is one of those who would never want it neither would I bring in anyone who is not in the team....remember
Chris Cowdrey anyone? Brought in as captain because he had an England legend as a father and was godson to the chairman of the selectors, Peter May. 1989, I think, when England had 4 captains in a series
(if my memory serves me well!)
...but let's hope Stokes can pull through.

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
When I suggested Bairstow I was being facetious, I wouldn't even have him in the team, let alone as Captain.
Sorry! I missed that!
Honours even today?
Slightly in Australia's favour, I would suggest...if England could have managed another wicket before the close then it would have been just about even.
England will have to bat well when they eventually bowl Australia out...Cummings is a canny bowler (and a very good one too)

Busaholic

Veteran Member
I would agree with Moeen Ali. It clearly would only be a temporary arrangement, and as you have mentioned he has captained the one day side in Buttler's absence.
I don't think that I have ever read anything about the suitability of Bairstow as captain, perhaps he is one of those who would never want it neither would I bring in anyone who is not in the team....remember
Chris Cowdrey anyone? Brought in as captain because he had an England legend as a father and was godson to the chairman of the selectors, Peter May. 1989, I think, when England had 4 captains in a series
(if my memory serves me well!)
...but let's hope Stokes can pull through.
Was Cowdrey one of three or four England captains that year? I have a rare(!) copy of his autobiographc called ''Good, but good enough?' I assume it was a rhetorical question. A good county player, no more. I saw him make his first century for Kent.

bspahh

Established Member
Sorry! I missed that!

Slightly in Australia's favour, I would suggest...if England could have managed another wicket before the close then it would have been just about even.
England will have to bat well when they eventually bowl Australia out...Cummings is a canny bowler (and a very good one too)
https://www.oddschecker.com/cricket/ashes/england-v-australia/winner have the odds slightly in favour of England to win (23/20) instead of Australia to win (6/5)

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Was Cowdrey one of three or four England captains that year? I have a rare(!) copy of his autobiographc called ''Good, but good enough?' I assume it was a rhetorical question. A good county player, no more. I saw him make his first century for Kent.
Sorry, memory playing tricks....it was 1988 (Gatting for first test, Emburey for 2 & 3, Cowdrey for 4 and Gooch for the last one)
Yes, Cowdrey was a good county player but that was it.

geoffk

Established Member
Still raining at Headlingley so a real prospect of no play today. The forecast for tomorrow morning looks good, with any rain due to come late afternoon. So how about starting play at 10:30 or even 10.00? Is that just too sensible for the cricket authorities to contemplate?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
England need 251 runs to win the test match. Travis head bashed Australia into a much better position than it looked like earlier in the evening. Going to be a twitchy one!

England have 25ish minutes to survive this evening. Engage Boycott mode. (They wont. We will be 45-4 at the close!)

75A

Established Member
England need 251 runs to win the test match. Travis head bashed Australia into a much better position than it looked like earlier in the evening. Going to be a twitchy one!

England have 25ish minutes to survive this evening. Engage Boycott mode. (They wont. We will be 45-4 at the close!)
50/50 in my opinion, England will have to score more than they did in their 1st innings.

On Moderation
Squeaky bum time!

England are only ever a whisker away from that traditional English summer sighting, a batting collapse.