• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country Anytime Fares

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hornby APT

I am a fairly regular traveller between Newcastle and York/Leeds and have always booked my tickets through the NXEC website. I usually end up splitting tickets to Leeds at York as it works out about £6 cheaper for a single. However when I checked the NXEC website today there appears to be new fares available that are endorsed XC trains only. Previously the only walk up single available on the NXEC website from Newcastle to Leeds was the £40.50 Anytime day single, now there is a £26.90 Anytime day single (XC only) available?!?!?!? Can anyone tell me the following:
- Has the fare structure changed on this route?
- Are these new fares that have been introduced?
- If they were previously available why did the NXEC website never show them?

Your help in this is greatly appreciated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eos

There is a fares war between NX and XC and is caused by the ORCATs rules of how fares are divided up. Tickets marked XC are 100% revenue to XC and none to anyone else- spot the pattern. XC would rather have a 100% of a lower fare , than 25% or whatever of a higher fare..

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
They were introduced from w/c 27 July on the northern end of the CrossCountry network (eg: Doncaster to Newcastle, Aberdeen to Inverkeithing).

The fares are Anytime & Anytime Day for both First and Standard class.

glynn80

Established Member
They were introduced from w/c 27 July on the northern end of the CrossCountry network (eg: Doncaster to Newcastle, Aberdeen to Inverkeithing).

The fares are Anytime & Anytime Day for both First and Standard class.

It seems quite interesting that XC were able to introduce fares on the w/c 27 July considering there is no actual "fares setting round" that fits in with a implementation date of July.

The TSA states
TSA said:
The Fares Setting Rounds will end in January, May and September of each year unless the Ticketing and Settlement Scheme Council resolves otherwise. The intervals between the end of each Fares Setting Round must be approximately equal unless the Authority agrees otherwise.

So it seems XC have convinced other members on the TSS Council to approve a resolution in favour of the new flows being implemented. Considering NXEC have quite a large voting percentage anyway, they must have convinced nearly all other TOCs to vote with them!

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
I had someone with an "XC Only" Anytime day return from Newcastle - Leeds on my TPE train the other day. They were charged a suitable Excess Fare!!! It was a business traveller who had been caught in the now common business travel trap. IN the past, businesses would just buy the 'anytime' ticket for their staff so that it was felxible for meeting times etc. Now, they seem to go for the cheapest which often have lots of restrictions, but fail to mention these restrictions to their staff. Hence a lot of Advance Ticket holders being charged lots of money to get back home when their meeting has finished earlier than planned.

clagmonster

Established Member
Out of interest, what would the excess be, as I though that only route specific tickets could be excessed to any permitted, not operator specific fares.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Out of interest, what would the excess be, as I though that only route specific tickets could be excessed to any permitted, not operator specific fares.

That is the case, due to how revenue is allocated. New tickets are supposed to be sold.

glynn80

Established Member

This is correct. I suspect that kwvr45 was lenient in excessing the ticket but technically the FRPP states the following on the issue:

FRPP said:
Customers wishing to use Train Company-specific tickets on another Train Company's services

National Rail Condition Of Carriage, Condition 10, refers.

The validity of some tickets is restricted to services of a particular Train Company. Where the 'route' shown on the ticket specifies a particular Train Company name(s) for the main part of the journey it cannot be used on any other Train Company's service for that part of the journey unless authorised for this purpose (e.g. train service disruption).

No excess fare is charged and customers should purchase a new ticket to travel on the train.

The Train Company issuing the original ticket may provide refunds for unused portions of the customers’ original tickets. Administration fees may be charged.
Emphasis added personally.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
New ticket, but they can show their discretion and ask the passenger to alight at a suitable station to get a following train, or they can also use their discretion and charge a difference (I think GC did this with a customer who had a NXEC only ticket, difficult to overhear the exact details though ;))

But they can legally charge a new ticket, although it does give them bad publicity and a bad reputation. If you were caught on a XC only on TPE/NXEC between Newcastle and Durham and the guard wasn't being lenient, the solution is to buy a SDS just to Durham at £4.70 and get off and wait for the XC service there.

Status
Not open for further replies.