• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country First Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhs man 2

I have booked tickets with them from Glasgow to Newcastle and I have been offered to upgrade the tickets to first class for not much extra, as it is a long trip would it be worthwhile upgrading also what perks do you get ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

wintonian

Established Member
.What day of the week are you travelling?

If its a weekend you will get a bigger seat and should avoid cattle class but since the shop has gone I am unsure if you still get free tea/ coffee/ water on a weekend.

Weekday free tea/ coffee/ water and a sandwich if you are lucky enough to be on one of the rare journeys they are offed, otherwise biscuits and chips, fruit(?).

I haven’t bothered for ages so I may have missed a 'perk' somewhere.

but I do remember on my last trip from Winchester to Banbury on a weekday afternoon all I was offered was 1 drink and some biscuits and possibly a pice of fruit

fhs man 2

Timewise it's about 2h40.

when you are going backwards it is a long journey ;)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
.What day of the week are you travelling?

If its a weekend you will get a bigger seat and should avoid cattle class but since the shop has gone I am unsure if you still get free tea/ coffee/ water on a weekend.

Weekday free tea/ coffee/ water and a sandwich if you are lucky enough to be on one of the rare journeys they are offed, otherwise biscuits and chips, fruit(?).

I haven’t bothered for ages so I may have missed a 'perk' somewhere.

but I do remember on my last trip from Winchester to Banbury on a weekday afternoon all I was offered was 1 drink and some biscuits and possibly a pice of fruit

I am travelling on a Tuesday in July.
How do you find out what type of train your train will be ?

Liam

Established Member
IIRC, you don't get anything between Glasgow and Edinburgh.

Steel-River

You don't HAVE to travel via "Edinburger", to get from Scotland's finest city (rail & otherwise) to Newcastle.

Btw, Glasgow to Newcastle a long journey?? I don't think so..My family and I go from Wolverhampton (via our local station.. SBJ (the home of the "Parry"!) to Glasgow for lunch/ shopping quite regularly, have fish and chips just as it leaves Glasgow for "home", read the Glasgow Evening Times paper, Do the (Scottish) Daily Record crossword, add any new numbers into my "Platform 5" books.. then it's nearly time for a cuppa home in Stourbridge. ANOTHER wonderful day over, (quite regularly).

scotsman

Established Member
They were trialling a trolley between Glasgow and Edinburgh recently, not sure what they made of it. If you're on advances and it's £1 or £2 more, then take it. But if it's the difference between an off peak return or whatever, then I'd, personally, get a Pendolino to Carlisle and then something across the Tyne Valley. Works out at around the same time as the Voyager

Established Member
There is also the direct Scotrail/Northern service from Glasgow Central to Newcastle via Carlisle, although it is a 156 for the full journey, no 1st class and no catering.

Ascot

Established Member
If it's a weekday have a look to see if it is Shepherds Pie week as they are nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

marks87

Established Member
You do if you're going by CrossCountry.
There is also the direct Scotrail/Northern service from Glasgow Central to Newcastle via Carlisle, although it is a 156 for the full journey, no 1st class and no catering.
And it takes four hours...

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
I was certain there was no catering at all north of Edinburgh (I believe AXC once tried to lay the blame on Virgin by stating that they didn't either, great excuse guys), has this changed?

And it takes four hours...

But is one absolute gem of a line (both the South Western and Tyne Valley), if that's your appeal.

marks87

Established Member
Having travelled the South Western line a few times, I'd be more inclined to describe it more as Deliverance Country than "a gem" ;)

Failed Unit

Established Member
I was certain there was no catering at all north of Edinburgh (I believe AXC once tried to lay the blame on Virgin by stating that they didn't either, great excuse guys), has this changed?

In the Virgin days, you didn't used to get catering North of Newcastle either!I don't know if that has changed or not I tend to only use XC if I have no choice even if it means an extra change.

If I am going to Leeds I have a the choice in 1st of a cooked breakfast on East Coast or nothing on XC (I am lead to believe), so worth changing at York for. In Standard I know I get a buffet on East Coast, I may get a trolley on XC.

Then of course the price, East Coast is always cheaper! (when I need to travel) even if I need to split at York.

I would go Scotrail and East Coast if you want a pleasent journey.

All Line Rover

Established Member

The last time I travelled with XC between Glasgow and Edinburgh there was a trolley in First, but only biscuits and drinks were available - no hot food. There is always hot food from Edinburgh. "Officially" there is no trolley at all between Glasgow and Edinburgh so the chance of it appearing can be hit and miss.
TO THE OP:

If the difference is price is not significant, I would definitely pay the extra for such a long journey (I consider any journey over 90 minutes to be a "long" journey). Although First Class on XC is not the best in the world, it is a big step up on Standard Class. That's because, for lone travellers in particular, Standard Class is awful on busy Super Voyagers. ;)

Failed Unit

Established Member
The last time I travelled with XC between Glasgow and Edinburgh there was a trolley in First, but only biscuits and drinks were available - no hot food. There is always hot food from Edinburgh. "Officially" there is no trolley at all between Glasgow and Edinburgh so the chance of it appearing can be hit and miss.
TO THE OP:

If the difference is price is not significant, I would definitely pay the extra for such a long journey (I consider any journey over 90 minutes to be a "long" journey). Although First Class on XC is not the best in the world, it is a big step up on Standard Class. That's because, for lone travellers in particular, Standard Class is awful on busy Super Voyagers. ;)

Or go 1st on East Coast with a change at Edinburgh, you will get refreshments on Scotrail as well if you use the Falkirk route and have a faster journey despite the change.

All line rover - virgin definately offered nothing between Newcastle and Edinburgh, arriva may have changed that but it was another good reason not to use xc in the past. Just like now you get nothing if heading to Aberdeen so use another operator!

All Line Rover

Established Member
Or go 1st on East Coast with a change at Edinburgh, you will get refreshments on Scotrail as well if you use the Falkirk route and have a faster journey despite the change.

It depends on which you value more - a direct train, or a higher standard of First Class accommodation. I, like you, always travel via East Coast and change at Edinburgh - I prefer the accommodation and because I book well in advance the prices are extremely good value.

On the other hand, East Coast are not good value when booking at short notice. I'm not sure if this applies in the OP's case. Looking at next Wednesday, XC are offering some £29 First Class fares whereas the cheapest EC&Connections fare available is £56.50.

All line rover - virgin definately offered nothing between Newcastle and Edinburgh, arriva may have changed that but it was another good reason not to use xc in the past. Just like now you get nothing if heading to Aberdeen so use another operator!

Indeed. Shockingly, they didn't offer anything on Super Voyagers north of Preston either! Now they offer a full service on all trains, including those in the early morning and late evening, between Preston and Glasgow/Edinburgh.

Failed Unit

Established Member
I am geniunely in shock, XC is actually cheaper for a journey!

The cheapest fare Glasgow - Newcastle 1st this Saturday is £27.00 east coasts is £56.50! Faced with that difference and considering that east coast don't offer much at the weekends I may even consider XC. I could put up with no internet / mobile phone reception for that difference in price.

Standard class the difference isn't as great with £27.45 for east coast and £24.50 for XC, I would pay the extra for the better train, buffet and mobile phone signal in this case.

Amazingly as you head towards York the fares turn in East Coasts favour.

All Line Rover

Established Member
I am geniunely in shock, XC is actually cheaper for a journey!

The cheapest fare Glasgow - Newcastle 1st this Saturday is £27.00 east coasts is £56.50! Faced with that difference and considering that east coast don't offer much at the weekends I may even consider XC. I could put up with no internet / mobile phone reception for that difference in price.

Standard class the difference isn't as great with £27.45 for east coast and £24.50 for XC, I would pay the extra for the better train, buffet and mobile phone signal in this case.

Amazingly as you head towards York the fares turn in East Coasts favour.

Credit where credit is due. :) Why would you travel with EC in Standard Class when you can travel with XC in First Class for less?

Failed Unit

Established Member
Credit where credit is due. :) Why would you travel with EC in Standard Class when you can travel with XC in First Class for less?

I probably would still stick with east coast on a weekday if I was working so I could use my mobile phone and 3G card. But it would be a hard choice.

cuccir

Established Member
I found XC's offering to be pretty good during the weekday in first class the one time I did it - it was Durham to Newton Abbott and it was definitely worth it for that distance! When I was in the north-east section it was pretty quiet, so I imagine it will be fairly empty and if so you should get decent service.

Established Member
But it's over an hour slower and a lot less frequent that the direct XC/EC services...

Yes, but as I said, some people perfer to take a direct train. Whether that be due to not having to change at Waverley, more chance of getting a seat or travelling on a different route. Not everyone has the same value of time.

fhs man 2

The price from Edinburgh to Newcastle with East Coast costs more than a Glasgow to Newcastle with XC in first class.

The price from Aberdeen to Newcastle for 2 people in first class with XC is £250.

wintonian

Established Member

Makes a change, I normally travel in first class with EC London - York, Newcastle, Scotland etc. than I do to go from Hampshire to Birmingham in standard class! :o

Status
Not open for further replies.