• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross-London connection time on itinerary

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxbarnish

I have an itinerary for an advance ticket 17 November.

Woolwich Arsenal dep 14.39
London Charing Cross arr 15.13
London Paddington dep 16.03
Exeter St Davids arr 16.03

The ticket features Maltese cross symbol, and the itinerary says to go via the Underground.

Presumably the itinerary complies with minimum connection requirements as this is what I was sold.

Does it look a little tight across London? I know the walk to Bakerloo line at Charing Cross is quite long.

Forgive my ignorance please, but I am unsure if my connection is protected if there is a delay on the Underground. I know if there's a delay on the Southeastern train from Woolwich, I can get the next service from Paddington, but does this also apply if there's a problem on the Bakerloo line? I know the delay rules are different on Underground so wondered if that also applies to being able to take the next train?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MarlowDonkey

Does it look a little tight across London? I know the walk to Bakerloo line at Charing Cross is quite long.

They've allowed 50 minutes. The actual travel time is quoted as 17 minutes if you search for "charing cross paddington train times". So that's allowing 33 minutes of walking time to the Underground platform at Charing Cross, waiting for the next train and walking from the Underground platform at Paddington to the main station and finding the Exeter train. I would have thought it more than enough, although a degree of familiarity with the layout of Charing Cross and Paddington may help. If there's an exit from the main line station that's close, Embankment station could be an alternative.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The official interchange time between Charing Cross and Paddington is 43 minutes made up of10 minutes at Charing Cross, 18 minutes transit time and 15 minutes at Paddington.

You should do it with ample time to spare. In the event of a delay you may take the next service with no additional charge.

Simply follow the signs for the Underground and Bakerloo Line upon arrival at Charing Cross. I wouldn’t go to Embankment as it’s further away from Paddington than Charing Cross.

The interchange times do not assume a high level of knowledge. They are designed for a reasonably able bodied person to make the connection without having to run or needing an intricate knowledge of the Underground.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
50 minutes is absolutely loads of time for that connection.

alistairlees

Established Member
The official interchange time between Charing Cross and Paddington is 43 minutes made up of10 minutes at Charing Cross, 18 minutes transit time and 15 minutes at Paddington.

You should do it with ample time to spare. In the event of a delay you may take the next service with no additional charge.

Simply follow the signs for the Underground and Bakerloo Line upon arrival at Charing Cross. I wouldn’t go to Embankment as it’s further away from Paddington than Charing Cross.

The interchange times do not assume a high level of knowledge. They are designed for a reasonably able bodied person to make the connection without having to run or needing an intricate knowledge of the Underground.
Not quite correct in this case. The OP is travelling on Sunday 17th November; the transit time on Sundays (at the time the OP wishes to travel) is 23 minutes. So the total time between stations is 10 + 23 + 15 = 48. That's still enough time. I did it in 25 minutes in the other direction (platform 7 at Paddington to Platform 6 at Charing Cross) last night.

alistairlees

Established Member

Woolwich Arsenal dep 14.39
Exeter St Davids arr 16.03

The ticket features Maltese cross symbol, and the itinerary says to go via the Underground.

Presumably the itinerary complies with minimum connection requirements as this is what I was sold.

Forgive my ignorance please, but I am unsure if my connection is protected if there is a delay on the Underground. I know if there's a delay on the Southeastern train from Woolwich, I can get the next service from Paddington, but does this also apply if there's a problem on the Bakerloo line? I know the delay rules are different on Underground so wondered if that also applies to being able to take the next train?
It should take the following (based on practice, and without rushing)
5 to 7 minutes to get from Plat 1/2/3 (where the train from Woolwich will arrive) at Charing Cross to the Bakerloo line platform
1 to 5 minutes to wait for the next Bakerloo train
15 minutes on the Bakerloo (it's seven stops, they are quite variable distances apart)
5 to 7 minutes to get to the Platform at Paddington

So between 26 and 34 minutes.

You should be fine, but if you are delayed you are valid on the next GWR train to Exeter anyway, at no extra cost.

maxbarnish

Thanks so much for this. And apologies for the mistake in the arrival time at Exeter - it wasn't relevant to the query anyway. All the important times, Charing Cross, Paddington, were correct.

Veteran Member
You can always take an earlier train at Woolwich if you are early.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Charing Cross is a relatively small terminal, and the entrance of Underground Station is inside the station building. There shouldn't be any problem for finding the Underground.
I think the issue was how long it would take to walk to the Bakerloo line platforms from the entrance at the NR terminal. While not excessive, it's a lot further than the Northern line because the Bakerloo line station was originally Trafalgar Square.

alistairlees

Established Member
I think the issue was how long it would take to walk to the Bakerloo line platforms from the entrance at the NR terminal. While not excessive, it's a lot further than the Northern line because the Bakerloo line station was originally Trafalgar Square.
I provided some estimates in my post above (as a regular user of this connection).

Status
Not open for further replies.