• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry - Apprentice Train Driver - Multiple (19/09/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kieranmcd

Has anyone heard anything yet? Mine still says online testing
Been reading some older threads. Seems like its not unusual for a successful application, at any point during the app, to be put on hold for months in the rail industry. Conversely, others for similar positions had a roughly 4-6 week turnaround time. So who knows really

Jungie1799

Been reading some older threads. Seems like its not unusual for a successful application, at any point during the app, to be put on hold for months in the rail industry. Conversely, others for similar positions had a roughly 4-6 week turnaround time. So who knows really
Also very true, I have a driver’s application with GWR on hold since March. So it could take ages.
I did hear that Xcountry usually don’t take long with the whole process but those statements might be wrong.

NorthernTech

I had an application in a while ago, there was an email reply saying that they ‘aim’ to reply in 2-4 weeks. Never heard back…

Alex95

Just got an email saying I’ve been rejected for Leicester.
Quite surprised considering my background and that I’ve got much further with other TOC’s. Not meant to be I guess!

Jungie1799

Quite surprised considering my background and that I’ve got much further with other TOC’s. Not meant to be I guess!
I’m so sorry about that! :(
Did you also have the “online training” under your application on the DB website?

mx612

Just had an email aswell asking for details full name, dob, national insurance and that assessment partner will contact me soon.

mattymat

Why do TOCs do different psychometric tests? I did a VSE a short while ago but XC do different tests? Also does anyone know how the training course is with XC? The advert has been pulled

CJBX

I've had the same email regarding details for the online tests. In for Manchester.

Class2ldn

In addition it says talent pool. Does that refer to the training course or the final job itself?
A talent pool is what you go into before you even start training, they pluck you out of it to put people on the courses, there's no guarantee of a job with a talent pool, its unlikely that will happen but it has happened in the past.

mattymat

A talent pool is what you go into before you even start training, they pluck you out of it to put people on the courses, there's no guarantee of a job with a talent pool, its unlikely that will happen but it has happened in the past.
What’s unlikely? That you won’t get a job?

12LDA28C

Established Member
In addition it says talent pool. Does that refer to the training course or the final job itself?

That means you have passed the selection process and will be held on file for any future vacancies but are not on the next training course.

Not necessarily. You might get through the selection process and be offered a start date in the very near future. However if all places on that course are filled, you may be placed into the talent pool for use on a future course on a date to be determined.

What’s unlikely? That you won’t get a job?

A talent pool saves a TOC going to the trouble and expense of recruiting again if they already have enough suitable applicants held on file for use on future training courses. Whilst there is no immediate guarantee of a job, it makes sense for them to contact you in future if you have successfully passed the entire process including OPC tests.

Last edited:

Aviator88

It does seem to be a bit of a lottery sometimes, but there are things you can do to help. Do you live within the specified distance to the depot? Did you upload a CV and cover letter? Did you answer all the questions on the application form, making sure to answer 'N/A' if it specifically asked you to do so? Spelling and grammar of a decent standard? Cover letters have also been known to be examined for certain 'buzzwords' such as 'safety' and 'pressure' etc.

Some of this may seem trivial, but I've heard of all these things being used to reduce the initial sift down to manageable numbers.

Got a thanks but no thanks for Leeds despite having passed all OPC except the MMI with TPE. Pot luck at the end of the day