• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry - Apprentice Train Driver - Multiple (19/09/23)

Class2ldn

What’s unlikely? That you won’t get a job?
That you won't be called from the talent pool but it does happen

That means you have passed the selection process and will be held on file for any future vacancies but are not on the next training course.

Not necessarily. You might get through the selection process and be offered a start date in the very near future. However if all places on that course are filled, you may be placed into the talent pool for use on a future course on a date to be determined.
Yet there is still no guarantee of a job, yes you may be called straight away, it could be months or years or not atall, not all companies use them but getting through all the process isn't a guarantee of a job.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

12LDA28C

Established Member
Yet there is still no guarantee of a job, yes you may be called straight away, it could be months or years or not atall, not all companies use them but getting through all the process isn't a guarantee of a job.

No but you have a better chance than someone who hasn't been through the process already. I've heard of people being in a talent pool for 2 years and then getting a call offering them a job.

Ned21

I've just been accepted into the Avanti talent pool. I've had email today from XC asking for my details for next stage OPC. I don't know if I do the tests again and fail will that affect me being in the Avanti talent pool.

Rocketdan

Had the rejection email today unfortunately saying I wasnt a close enough match. Does this count as one life used because I've made an attempt and was unsuccessful. I was told by the OPC that because I was previously in a talent pool for Avanti that closed during covid that this was a life lost even when I didn't fail any tests.

12LDA28C

Established Member
I've just been accepted into the Avanti talent pool. I've had email today from XC asking for my details for next stage OPC. I don't know if I do the tests again and fail will that affect me being in the Avanti talent pool.

What does this mean? Have you previously taken the OPC tests in the last 5 years? You shouldn't be accepted into a talent pool if you haven't completed the full process.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
You will only need to do the MMI as Avanti use the CBI instead. However, do double check with OPC should you get that far as others have previously been told sitting an MMI overwrites the CBI which may affect an offer of employment from Avanti.

Had the rejection email today unfortunately saying I wasnt a close enough match. Does this count as one life used because I've made an attempt and was unsuccessful. I was told by the OPC that because I was previously in a talent pool for Avanti that closed during covid that this was a life lost even when I didn't fail any tests.
No lives lost from not passing this stage

Ned21

You will only need to do the MMI as Avanti use the CBI instead. However, do double check with OPC should you get that far as others have previously been told sitting an MMI overwrites the CBI which may affect an offer of employment from Avanti.

No lives lost from not passing this stage
What's the MMI?

What does this mean? Have you previously taken the OPC tests in the last 5 years? You shouldn't be accepted into a talent pool if you haven't completed the full process.
Yes started March, passed all the assessments and interviews, I am now in the talent pool.

Andywen

So, are these online tests which we do next, part of the psychometric tests which last for years, and can be used by any TOC. Or, are these just some standard on line tests that XC use before carrying on to further psychometric tests at a test centre?

12LDA28C

Established Member
What's the MMI?

Yes started March, passed all the assessments and interviews, I am now in the talent pool.

Ah right so clearly you've also applied for XC. I would stick with what you've got, or if you'd prefer to work for XC, they should accept you OPC passes for Avanti surely? Unless they ask for additional tests.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
What's the MMI?

Multi-Modal Interview. It's essentially the same as the CBI which is the interview you do after the computer part of testing. Avanti are the only ones that don't use the MMI version unfortunately.

It up to you how you want to play this, no harm in doing the initial XC test and DMI.

Samzino

Pretty sure the MMI will overwrite your CBI pass regardless of pass or fail which would mean you'd need to resit the CBI or be out the pool as you'd not show up anymore as fully completed the process. I say this because I remember someone recently being told by OPC that a pass or fail of their mmi would override the CBI they had passed aswell as my own friends experience where his CBI Pass did override an mmi for MTR and thus when they came time to call him he was told he couldn't be processed out the pool or be put back in as he didn't have a valid mmi anymore and couldn't resit for another 6 months as the cbi was a recent pass.

Maybe my pal was unlucky tho he did not long after that get a start with Avanti :s

Pretty sure i saw someone in the overground recent campaign mention someone at their assemebt day was warned about the overwrite by opc staff in response to another fourm user who sadly failed the mmi and currently to that point had a recently valid CBI.
What's the MMI?

Last edited:

Retro racer

what's the process when the opc enter your national insurance number and see you have already passed your psychometric?
Surely you don't have to do them again? Or you wait a while for dmi?

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
what's the process when the opc enter your national insurance number and see you have already passed your psychometric?
Surely you don't have to do them again? Or you wait a while for dmi?
They will see what is against for NI number on the national database. Will still have to do the initial testing prior to the DMI but if out forward for phsychometric testing they will tell the TOC you have already passed etc.

Alex95

I’m so sorry about that! :(
Did you also have the “online training” under your application on the DB website?
I didn't look at the status on the website, just waited to hear by email.

It does seem to be a bit of a lottery sometimes, but there are things you can do to help. Do you live within the specified distance to the depot? Did you upload a CV and cover letter? Did you answer all the questions on the application form, making sure to answer 'N/A' if it specifically asked you to do so? Spelling and grammar of a decent standard? Cover letters have also been known to be examined for certain 'buzzwords' such as 'safety' and 'pressure' etc.

Some of this may seem trivial, but I've heard of all these things being used to reduce the initial sift down to manageable numbers.
Thanks for the response.

Yes to all of the above! Although I didn't submit a cover letter, that may be the downfall of my application... :)

Jungie1799

I didn't look at the status on the website, just waited to hear by email.

Thanks for the response.

Yes to all of the above! Although I didn't submit a cover letter, that may be the downfall of my application... :)
Yeah the lack of cover letter was most likely it. I heard from a driver at my local depot that the DM was going through all the cover letters, so the lack of one was probably why they didn’t move you to the next phase.

Is anyone able to shed some light on what the tests for XC will be?

I done the VSE for Avanti and I’m pretty sure I messed it up on the last part where you have to do both exercises at the same time. Any idea if it will be the same as this?