• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry - Apprentice Train Driver - Multiple (19/09/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JWS

Is anyone able to shed some light on what the tests for XC will be?

I done the VSE for Avanti and I’m pretty sure I messed it up on the last part where you have to do both exercises at the same time. Any idea if it will be the same as this?
My understanding is XC don’t require VSE.

Struts

I’ve got until Sunday to do the online assessment. Excited but really nervous!

silexa

Seems XC are certainly moving much quicker than Chiltern who have had my application for BMO since January and haven't contacted me once.
Still in for BHM & DBY - completed the questionnaire they sent through yesterday

Lulsgate

Hi all

I've applied for this position and have received an email from XC acknowledging receipt of my application.

I've been driving buses and coaches since 2011 but I've always wanted to be a train driver.

As a newcomer to the rail industry, any advice would be much appreciated.

Good luck to everyone who applies.

Cheers
Ryan

Whatever test it will be… will they send practice material?
Yes, they will. However, as I found out practicing on paper then doing the actual tests on line are two completely different things. I feel that the practice material I was provided with by the OPC wasn’t adequate for what the real tests actually entailed.

NorthernTech

Hi all

I've applied for this position and have received an email from XC acknowledging receipt of my application.

I've been driving buses and coaches since 2011 but I've always wanted to be a train driver.

As a newcomer to the rail industry, any advice would be much appreciated.

Good luck to everyone who applies.

Cheers
Ryan
The forum itself is your advice. Have a read through any threads for the company you have applied for, but especially the sticky threads at the top of the page ‘A Career as a Train Driver’ and ’Assessments and Medicals Master Thread’. There is an abundance of information here to help anyone get through applications and tests but you need to dedicate some time to it. There is also a search function at the top right hand side which is useful.

CharlieBoy

TRP1 is more a test of your ability to take on board new information, store it and then recall in order to answer questions about the passage. (short term memory recall)
The RAAT always allows you to look at the text/passage for each question. It’s looking to test your ability to apply rules in order to answer a question in relation to the passage. It requires speed, but more importantly accuracy in your answers.
I believe it’s testing some of those NTS’s in relation to the Role of a driver and the processes adopted within the trainee driver course.
I’m new on here, looking for some help with TRP1, apparently mine will be about “Emergency Train Braking” but there not much on here. What’s the passage about it how does it go and what type of MC questions are ask……any help gratefully received

I passed the tests with Avanti, do I still have to do the online testing for this application?
I’m new on here, looking for some help with TRP1, apparently mine will be about “Emergency Train Braking” but there not much on here. What’s the passage about it how does it go and what type of MC questions are ask……any help gratefully received

Last edited:

baz962

Established Member

I have never heard of Emergency train braking in regards to the psychometric testing. When I did mine six years ago it was something different and must of changed. Never seen it referred to on here either. I don't think many people will have done it.

CharlieBoy

I have never heard of Emergency train braking in regards to the psychometric testing. When I did mine six years ago it was something different and must of changed. Never seen it referred to on here either. I don't think many people will have done it.
Apparently some TOC’s use the “Gloup Train” test

baz962

Established Member
Just a memory test as mine was glop . You read a passage and then it's taken away and you are asked questions about it. The questions will all be about the passage.
Example if I wrote now... A green train was broken down and you had to inspect it , you had to walk around the train and check the ten engines.
The passage is taken away and you are asked questions. Might be what colour was the train and how many engines do you check.

7819Hinton

TRP 1 is about testing short term memory recall.
It’s irrelevant what the content of the passage is.
You don’t need to know anything about ‘Glop’ trains (sandite) or indeed the braking system of a train.. it could just as easily be about reading a passage about following a recipe.
It’s testing your abilities to memorise a short piece of information and then answering multiple choice questions.
It’s not that difficult.
Some utilise written notes to help cement the learning. Others simply read the text numerous times.. everyone’s brains/memory works differently. You need to find what works for you.
As with all these tests it’s about training your brain. Practice practice practice.

CharlieBoy

TRP 1 is about testing short term memory recall.
It’s irrelevant what the content of the passage is.
You don’t need to know anything about ‘Glop’ trains (sandite) or indeed the braking system of a train.. it could just as easily be about reading a passage about following a recipe.
It’s testing your abilities to memorise a short piece of information and then answering multiple choice questions.
It’s not that difficult.
Some utilise written notes to help cement the learning. Others simply read the text numerous times.. everyone’s brains/memory works differently. You need to find what works for you.
As with all these tests it’s about training your brain. Practice practice practice.
Many thanks

Just a memory test as mine was glop . You read a passage and then it's taken away and you are asked questions about it. The questions will all be about the passage.
Example if I wrote now... A green train was broken down and you had to inspect it , you had to walk around the train and check the ten engines.
The passage is taken away and you are asked questions. Might be what colour was the train and how many engines do you check.
Many thanks

TacoTraveller

"GLOP" test.

It's just a sheet of A4 paper with a few passages about certain areas of a particular train and how it operates.

It's read out to you as audio, and then you have a short time to read it. The answers they're looking for are pretty obvious, just make sure you've fully read it because once the times up you only have your notes and memory to answer the questions.

SCDR_WMR

Established Member
"GLOP" test.

It's just a sheet of A4 paper with a few passages about certain areas of a particular train and how it operates.

It's read out to you as audio, and then you have a short time to read it. The answers they're looking for are pretty obvious, just make sure you've fully read it because once the times up you only have your notes and memory to answer the questions.
You only have your memory. You have time to read through your notes but they are removed prior to completing the questions

Lulsgate

The forum itself is your advice. Have a read through any threads for the company you have applied for, but especially the sticky threads at the top of the page ‘A Career as a Train Driver’ and ’Assessments and Medicals Master Thread’. There is an abundance of information here to help anyone get through applications and tests but you need to dedicate some time to it. There is also a search function at the top right hand side which is useful.
Thank you so much for this information!