• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crosscountry - Apprentice Train Drivers (08/12/22)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Frothy_B

It's possible they are doing things depot by depot, depending on demand or how soon they need people through the course. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that that they have multiple courses staggered throughout the year.

We can conclude that Plymouth applicants are currently at the psychometric stage and DMIs are currently being arranged for Leicester, with seemingly no news about the other 5 depots as yet, so I wouldn't write anything off just yet if you're waiting to hear from the other 5, as they might be further down the pile so to speak.

kajojek3232

Bournemouth depot are also done. They’ve done interviews last week. So I’m out of the running sadly but hey ho. It’d just be nice to be told or for the status on DB Portal to change to End of Process but I guess can’t have it all ahah

Frothy_B

Bournemouth depot are also done. They’ve done interviews last week. So I’m out of the running sadly but hey ho. It’d just be nice to be told or for the status on DB Portal to change to End of Process but I guess can’t have it all ahah
Sorry to hear that. No lives lost on Psychometrics though so still plenty of chances for the future.

You're still young, if your financial position allows it maybe look into getting a non-driving role for a TOC, as then you'd have access to internal recruitment, including trainee roles that may not make it to the public. Best of luck in the future!

DJP78

On Moderation
Sorry to hear that. No lives lost on Psychometrics though so still plenty of chances for the future.

You're still young, if your financial position allows it maybe look into getting a non-driving role for a TOC, as then you'd have access to internal recruitment, including trainee roles that may not make it to the public. Best of luck in the future!
I second that

Grab any frontline railway job, shunter, guard, station staff and go from there

Access to internal jobs board is a definite benefit

Loco roco

First time applying for these do they do stages of interviews or once they’ve done the interviews in your location and you’ve not heard anything you can assume you were unsuccessful?

JimClark

how do you find technical sales? was considering it myself a months back.

I would say a train driver position in regards to be considered will be straight forward for yourself.
From being a Project engineer for many years it's been very tough at times but also really rewarding with some great money. On the downside you are only as good as your last deal so there is always the expectation and pressure to land another deal. It's satisfying to provide a solution to a customer to improve their process and when you are busy it's great building relationships etc. I sell capital equipment so usually sell around 1 machine per month so can feel slow at times.

Aviator88

In all honesty, train driver recruitment process is harder than pilot!

As somebody who's been through the OAA, Jerez and originally BA CityFlyer assessments back in the mid 2000's, I can attest to this.

If you have deep pockets, you'll find all the encouragement and help you need to become a pilot, with unlimited chances to prove yourself.

In the railway gig it's two shots and out, and you need to score in the top 'x' percentile just to get an interview.

If you have £60-100k in your bank account, it's easier to 'decide' to become a pilot than a train driver, undoubtedly!

Economist

The railway is the more meritocratic of the two, there's the recent fully sponsored programmees by TUI and Bristow but there's plenty of big names in the airline industry who have nothing to offer people with the right aptitude, attitude and life experience but don't have lots of spare cash. I wanted to become a commercial pilot but the fact I hadn't had the best part of £100k saved and my parents weren't in a position to gamble a house meant that when a TOC offered me a trainee train driver role, I snapped it up very quickly. I subsequently gained a PPL and fly for a hobby.

XC's process is very competitive for both trainee and qualified drivers. I started at a TOC where a lot of the work in my area was DOO and the main competition from inside the company for trainee driver places was from platform staff. At XC, you're also going to be competing against on-board staff who have a lot more contact with drivers and know the driving role better.

class 9

At XC, you're also going to be competing against on-board staff who have a lot more contact with drivers and know the driving role better.

On board staff may have contact with Drivers, but won't know the role better, you only get to know the in's and out's of the role when you've done the training.

Economist

Guards/TMs will have some route and traction knowledge and an understanding of things like emergency protection. Admittedly I could've phrased my point better but they'll also have some very good competency examples and proven experience of working on the railway.

EmmD

At XC, you're also going to be competing against on-board staff who have a lot more contact with drivers and know the driving role better.

On board staff may have contact with Drivers, but won't know the role better, you only get to know the in's and out's of the role when you've done the training.
I don’t agree with that.

20 years as a guard gave me a very good understanding of the driver role.

JH-OB

Hi everyone, thought I’d join the chat. I’ve applied for Bristol (Weston-Super-Mare), I’ve not heard anything since completing the RAAT. I guess, it’s a waiting and hoping game now?

Online portal still saying ‘in progress’.

zekebloke

Hi everyone, thought I’d join the chat. I’ve applied for Bristol (Weston-Super-Mare), I’ve not heard anything since completing the RAAT. I guess, it’s a waiting and hoping game now?

Welcome, yes I am in the same situation, "application in progress" and heard nothing. Can't decide whether it's good new or not.

JH-OB

Welcome, yes I am in the same situation, "application in progress" and heard nothing. Can't decide whether it's good new or not.
Can’t be a bad thing, XC seem to be good at sending out rejection emails.

I’m assuming at DMIs will happen at the DMs convenience/diary availability.

Aviator88

The railway is the more meritocratic of the two, there's the recent fully sponsored programmees by TUI and Bristow but there's plenty of big names in the airline industry who have nothing to offer people with the right aptitude, attitude and life experience but don't have lots of spare cash. I wanted to become a commercial pilot but the fact I hadn't had the best part of £100k saved and my parents weren't in a position to gamble a house meant that when a TOC offered me a trainee train driver role, I snapped it up very quickly. I subsequently gained a PPL and fly for a hobby.

XC's process is very competitive for both trainee and qualified drivers. I started at a TOC where a lot of the work in my area was DOO and the main competition from inside the company for trainee driver places was from platform staff. At XC, you're also going to be competing against on-board staff who have a lot more contact with drivers and know the driving role better.

I've been out of the professional flying game for a long time so I was unaware of the TUI sponsorship. I know Helicentre have a contract to supply Bristow, but the sponsorship is (was) dependent on having already gained a PPL(H) with them previously.

Being candid, I admit a mild resentment of the recruitment practices in the airline industry - to have passed every assessment one has ever taken only to not have the bank balance to back it up is a tough pill to swallow. Ultimately I managed to put away enough to get CPL and IMC'd up and get a job flying for an aerial photography outfit but circumstances prevented any more progression unfortunately. P2F only compounded the issue, but that's an argument for PPRuNe!

Well done for finding yourself a corner you're happy in mate - ironically my many airline pilot chums tell me how they wished they'd got themselves a well paid job elsewhere and flew for fun on the weekends. Grass, green, and all that!

Also, thanks for the new word, 'meritocratic' 8-)

bcfc171081

Same here. Also waiting on the TM BTM application from November, Both say in process

Economist

I've been out of the professional flying game for a long time so I was unaware of the TUI sponsorship. I know Helicentre have a contract to supply Bristow, but the sponsorship is (was) dependent on having already gained a PPL(H) with them previously.

Being candid, I admit a mild resentment of the recruitment practices in the airline industry - to have passed every assessment one has ever taken only to not have the bank balance to back it up is a tough pill to swallow. Ultimately I managed to put away enough to get CPL and IMC'd up and get a job flying for an aerial photography outfit but circumstances prevented any more progression unfortunately. P2F only compounded the issue, but that's an argument for PPRuNe!

Well done for finding yourself a corner you're happy in mate - ironically my many airline pilot chums tell me how they wished they'd got themselves a well paid job elsewhere and flew for fun on the weekends. Grass, green, and all that!

Also, thanks for the new word, 'meritocratic' 8-)

Bristol did both North Sea and SAR sponsorships from zero hours recently those are TUI are the best the aviation industry has to offer would-be pilots in the UK. Both offer no salary for the first two years and TUI pays those who qualified from that scheme £32k (possibly excluding flight pay) for the first four years. Most TOCs pay their trainee drivers more than that. Personally, I'd like to see Joe Biden be persuaded to allow the US airlines to poach British pilots. The salary differences would prompt such a mass exodus that fully sponsored bonded training programmes would be the only way to solve the shortage.

Thank you, train driving is a great career both in terms of enjoyment and T&Cs. With the long-distance express companies now taking off-the street-trainees, it's great from an applicant's perspective. Personally it took me a few interviews at various TOCs over a period of around 18 months before I finally started a trainee course nearly 6 years ago. It's technically interesting and due to a lack of stack-ranking and salary-driven competition for promotion, there's much better camaraderie than my previous life in the office world.

beepcop

It's possible they are doing things depot by depot, depending on demand or how soon they need people through the course. Earlier in the thread someone mentioned that that they have multiple courses staggered throughout the year.

We can conclude that Plymouth applicants are currently at the psychometric stage and DMIs are currently being arranged for Leicester, with seemingly no news about the other 5 depots as yet, so I wouldn't write anything off just yet if you're waiting to hear from the other 5, as they might be further down the pile so to speak.
I'm waiting to hear regarding the Edinburgh depot. Nothing heard yet.

PHB2203

Is anyone still waiting to hear back after the DMI? Had mine almost 2 weeks ago and still not heard anything? I thought it went well but hard to tell with interviews? Starting to think I’m out of the running although portal still shows assessment.

JH-OB

Is anyone still waiting to hear back after the DMI? Had mine almost 2 weeks ago and still not heard anything? I thought it went well but hard to tell with interviews? Starting to think I’m out of the running although portal still shows assessment.
Most people are waiting to hear about DMIs. My application is ‘still in progress’, but the last thing I have done was the RAAT. I think it’s all down to the DMs availability and priority for courses.

DJP78

On Moderation
Yes mate, I’ve been told I was successful at DMI and have a start date for Plymouth depot 27 Feb, subject to my medical

Course is in Derby

I’m absolutely stunned and ecstatic I got it

Continued good luck to all others in the process and hope you get the news you’re after