• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhichRailWay

I'm travelling from Manchester Piccadilly (11.27) to Plymouth (change at Birmingham) next week.

I'm in First, on seats 20A and 24A in coach A, of course!

Just a couple of questions for seasoned experts:

• Is 20/24 a table seat? I cannot find any seating plans, but I'm hoping it's two facing seats on their own.

• The connection at Birmingham is 14 minutes, it seems a little tight, but that's what the system booked. Does anyone know if the train to Plymouth (13.12) is on the same platform or nearby?

• Also I've heard horror stories about CrossCountry, is it just that they've crammed in more seats and less tables? I normally travel Virgin westcoast.

And First during the week doesn't look all too bad - at least there's a hot meal (beef lasagne), I wonder if I'll get that twice on the two trains.

Thanks for your help!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Edward111

i dont know about the seats but they tend to be crammed in standard class and 14 mins at birmingham is a ok amount of time due to me doing a similar connection in 5 mins with 4 suitcases

Lampshade

Established Member
The Voyagers are much the same as they were under VXC, only real difference is they've removed the shop to put more seats in. The minimum connection time at New Street is 12 minutes so you're fine on that front.

north

• The connection at Birmingham is 14 minutes, it seems a little tight, but that's what the system booked. Does anyone know if the train to Plymouth (13.12) is on the same platform or nearby?
Traveline northeast Traveline northeast has tomorrow's service as into platform 2A and out of 10. I don't know New Street well enough to say how bad that is. Also not sure if that changes day to day.

MCR247

Established Member
They aren't much different in first really than they were with Virgin seats wise

thewolf

Traveline northeast Traveline northeast has tomorrows service as into platform 2 and out of 10. I don't know New Street well enough to say how bad that is. Also not sure if that changes day to day.

Sounds about right.

The services from Piccadilly generally go to platform 2 (was 1, but the services from 1 have been bumped over to 2 since they've started the work).

You should be able to get from one end of the station to the other in no more than 5 minutes really. You'd probably be able to get round the corner to Moor Street in 14 minutes to be honest.

Ferret

Established Member
Sounds about right.

The services from Piccadilly generally go to platform 2 (was 1, but the services from 1 have been bumped over to 2 since they've started the work).

You should be able to get from one end of the station to the other in no more than 5 minutes really. You'd probably be able to get round the corner to Moor Street in 14 minutes to be honest.

1312 Plym almost always goes off 10 as that is its booked platform. May get shoved over to 11 if the X-City is down the pan but that's no hardship.

As for First Class meals, we've been doing Risotto I think this week. Seems to be relatively well received....

cyclebytrain

If I recall correctly, 20 & 24 are a table on the 1 side of the 2+1 seating. For New Street, the arrival platform from Manchester is a low number (2 springs to mind, but I might be wrong) departure for Plymouth will be 10/11 (the same island).

I used to pretty regularly manage 1 minute connections at New street with a bike from 2/3 to 10/11, so you should be fine.

If I've remebered the platforms right, this page should help you: <http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/stations/sjp/BHM/routes/stationSearchResult.xhtml?from=1214-0000180&to=1214-0000208&steps=Yes&shallowRamps=Yes&lifts=Yes&manualDoors=Yes>

WhichRailWay

Thanks for all the maps and route information there! All great answers.

All the info will certainly make sure I concentrate fully on my books — it's going to be one long five and a bit hour journey. At least the train on the way back is direct!

bnm

Established Member
And First during the week doesn't look all too bad - at least there's a hot meal (beef lasagne), I wonder if I'll get that twice on the two trains.

If you're lucky and both services have a 1st Class Host and are stocked up, then no problem getting 2 complimentary food items, although quite why you'd want 2 nuked beef lasagnes that are worse quality than a supermarket own brand is beyond me! I choose the cold option every time. If no 1st Class host then you are at the whim of the trolley dolly bothering to make his/her way to 1st Class. On more than one occasion I have been served complimentaries by the Train Manager!

Apparently the complimentary coffee is Starbucks, doesn't stop it tasting god awful though.

Status
Not open for further replies.