Crossing smash on Wensleydale 3/8/16

Discussion in 'Railtours & Preservation' started by Wearhead, 3 Aug 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wearhead

Wearhead Member

On the first day of public operation since the January storms, a Wensleydale Railway train has been involved in serious collision with a private car on the Northallerton West section of the line at Yafforth Crossing.

The incident occurred at about 2pm when the three carriage train, pulled by a Class 27 locomotive, collided with a Toyota car on the level crossing about a mile west of the station, between Northallerton West and Scruton. The car was severely damaged, and one person (believed to be the driver) was taken to hospital by air ambulance. No-one on the train was injured.

I can confirm that the train slowed to a crawl as it approached the open crossing, and sounded its horn. Moments later, an emergency brake application was made. From my position in the second carriage, the crossing lights and sirens appeared to be working , and continued for several minutes after the collision.

Emergency services were quickly on the scene, although the road remained closed for several hours.
    Passengers were later transferred by coach to Leeming Bar station.

Attached Files:

2. RichmondCommu

RichmondCommu Established Member

Oh dear this is awful news. Fingers crossed that the driver of the car is OK.

3. Domh245

Domh245 Established Member

Looks like a VW golf Polo to me. I would guess a RAIB investigation is going to be carried out?

Last edited: 3 Aug 2016
  4. Wearhead

Wearhead Member

Sorry, my mistake. It was a VW Polo.

5. broadgage

broadgage Member

Very sad.
    I do however thank the O/P for the brief, prompt, and presumably accurate first hand report.
    All too often we get inaccurate press reports from reporters who do not even know the difference between a train and a locomotive, followed by ill-informed speculation.

At least this time we have a first hand factual report and an informative photo.

I am sure that we all hope that the injured person(s) make a good recovery.

6. Wearhead

Wearhead Member

Thanks for that, it was a report I would have preferred not to make, and I hope I never have to do another.
    Special thanks must go to the Wensleydale train crew who acted calmly and professionally, keeping us informed and assisting the older folks (me) to de-train down a ladder from the Guards van. A bitter blow on the first day of operation on the Northallerton West section of the line, which remains closed. Trains today (Thursday) are steam-hauled from Leeming Bar to Redmire.
    Local reports say a female was taken to hospital with arm and leg injuries. We wish her a speedy recovery.

7. 37038

37038 Member

26007 was involved, minor damage to the side of the loco, a lot of damage to the car and occupant

8. JohnB57

JohnB57 Member

One from today - hope it was a better one for the railway.

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

9. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Very true, but not always ;)...

http://www.minsterfm.com/news/local...vel-crossing-accident-on-wensleydale-railway/
    Good to see this forum get a mention.

10. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Certainly not the easiest thing for the crew to deal with. I know a few of the guys up at the Wensleydale, including one of those who was working the train and, as with incidents that occur on the 'big railway', I am sure it is something they will never forget. Operating a heritage railway definitely could not be described as playing trains.

11. Martin66

Martin66 Member

12. duffield

duffield Member

Does anyone know what the significance is of the fact that the RAIB have decided a full investigation is not required? (I could speculate but it's probably better not to).

13. alexl92

alexl92 Established Member

As an 'outsider', I took that to mean the crossing user was at fault rather than the Railway.

14. PermitToTravel

PermitToTravel Established Member

They don't investigate incidents from which there are no safety lessons to be learnt.

That obeying the red lights at level crossings is a bloody good idea is something we already know, and don't need an expensive investigation to find out.

15. IanXC

IanXC Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Where's that like button got to?

Presumably there will be a Police investigation with a more obvious outcome?

16. PermitToTravel

PermitToTravel Established Member

It would be negligent for there to not be!

17. Malcmal

Malcmal New Member

I am surprised nobody remembers this being the location of an EMU hitting a Vauxhall Astra in the 1990's!

18. theblackwatch

I think you may be confused...in the 1990s this was a freight line from Northalerton to Redmire, never one used by EMUs (for a start, it wasn't electrified!).

19. Malcmal

Malcmal New Member

I am fully aware of where this location is - I was there when the car was hit!!! The EMU in question was in Derby RTC livery if I remember correctly.
    --- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    I just found this picture of the aftermath:

[​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Aug 2016
  20. theblackwatch

I bow to your superior knowledge there! I assume that was some awareness demonstration or something similar then?

21. Malcmal

Malcmal New Member

I admit to teasing you all with the deliberate lack of information for which I apologise!!

The full details here:

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/byg...g-mock-crash/story-20971645-detail/story.html

It struck me how much any pre-Internet event quickly gets lost in the mists of time. The article says 47981 provided the "push start" for this. It was to make a Railtrack safety video called "Red Runner".

Last edited by a moderator: 20 Aug 2016
  22. BestWestern

BestWestern Established Member

Looks like a GTE as well.... Sporty! ;)

23. Martin66

Martin66 Member

Anyone have a copy of the video?

24. Zoidberg

Zoidberg Established Member

For those interested, the RAIB has published its Safety Digest at https://www.gov.uk/government/publi...sion-at-yafforth-level-crossing-3-august-2016

Extract:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.