• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - Construction updates and progress towards opening (now expected 24 May 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

coppercapped

Established Member
As every single London automated driving approach to date has each used a different, indeed unique, system, starting from scratch, some more than one over time (Victoria Line; DLR; Thameslink) I can't quite see that.

I'm grateful as ever for your input but still can't see how it won't work reversing 12tph actual reversers at Westbourne Park, but will at Abbey Wood or Shenfield, which both appear to have even less infrastructure for doing so, and an equal need for quick action during disruption recovery.
Various flavours of the Thales CBTC system are used on the sub-surface lines, the Northern and the Jubilee lines apart from Crossrail. The basic concept is the same even if the implementation varies between the different lines so these would all be candidates over the next ten or fifteen years for a driverless system developed from the auto-reverse function to be used on Crossrail.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
it’s not about saving a few step back drivers, although that is a side benefit.

it is about making the turn back as quick as possible, particularly during disruption. The timetable would not work without it.
Maybe but how many platform staff will have to be on hand to ensure the train is devoid of passengers before it can leave though?

Disco Bat

I thought they weren't clearing the trains at Paddington, and passengers could be over-carried to the sidings? Or perhaps the plan is to do so whilst it is a terminus?
I don’t know how much this applies but I know that if a tube driver over-carries after de-training they have to get back into a platform asap because the train isn’t technically in service so a class 9 in Paddington would be a class 5 in the siding so they would want to make sure it was empty first

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I thought they weren't clearing the trains at Paddington, and passengers could be over-carried to the sidings? Or perhaps the plan is to do so whilst it is a terminus?

They definitely are. They have a number of staff and it takes about 90-120 seconds to clear a 9-car.

Maybe but how many platform staff will have to be on hand to ensure the train is devoid of passengers before it can leave though?

About 4-5, at Paddington.

londontransit

I can't think of another TfL terminus where they reverse beyond the station* where the driver might be walking through meantime and thus saving personnel. All the high-density reverses (Victoria at Brixton, Jubilee at Stratford, etc) take place at the platform, obviously driven in and out.

* : Apart from DLR at Bank, wholly automated there for the last quarter-century, but with none of this Crossrail complexity.
Brixton and Walthamstow do have reversers via the sidings when more services need to use these stations than usual (eg an incident or operational problems.) This is besides the normal early/late evening trains which may be timetabled for stabling beyond the station areas.

mark-h

The driver will be walking through the train while it is travelling to and from the sidings- passengers (people) onboard the train could cause a risk to their safety.

I wonder how the Paddington platform staff will manage when some trains are terminating/reversing and others are continuing westward, having a 3rd platform for the reversing services (as at Severn Sisters on the Victora Line) would seem to be a lot easier to manage.

PG

Established Member
The driver will be walking through the train while it is travelling to and from the sidings- passengers (people) onboard the train could cause a risk to their safety.
I'm probably being naive, but:
Couldn't drivers step back and the train autoreverse without any driver onboard so removing the necessity for detraining?​

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Couldn't drivers step back and the train autoreverse without any driver onboard so removing the necessity for detraining?​
I would assume the Driver is required to close the doors and initiate the auto-reverse move prior to removing their master key.

BayPaul

Established Member
In that case, there would presumably be no need for a driver at all. I'm not sure the network is quite ready for totally unmanned trains that might have passengers on board breaking down in the middle of Paddington throat!

I wonder how the Paddington platform staff will manage when some trains are terminating/reversing and others are continuing westward, having a 3rd platform for the reversing services (as at Severn Sisters on the Victora Line) would seem to be a lot easier to manage.
You'd presumably need 2 platforms for this, as otherwise you would need to ensure that you never had 2 terminating trains in a row. Given the cost of building underground platforms this seems like a much more cost effective solution.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

They’ll either be told by their station control or simply look at the CIS in the screen doors which would say Reading / Heathrow or “terminates here”.

What did surprise me is that when you look on a network map there’s no crossover just east of Paddington which could have been useful should trains be running late and the move to Westbourne Park could be cancelled.

Taunton

Established Member
I've heard this one before and find it extraordinary. How are passengers in a reversing train a risk to safety when for all the rest of the time when in service they are not?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The rest of the time the driver is locked away in the cab away from passengers.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I've heard this one before and find it extraordinary. How are passengers in a reversing train a risk to safety when for all the rest of the time when in service they are not?

I will presume there’s no ability to stop the train in an emergency because the driver is not at the controls? This could put a passenger at risk? But it seems a highly unlikely (although not impossible) scenario.

iphone76

Correct. There is no ability to stop the train. Even "pulling the cord" will not stop the train.

As mentioned, other than a trespasser not being noticed, the main risk comes from personal safety walking through a train with potentially angry / drunk / aggressive people who have been overcarried.

theking

TFL are not going to send a train with passengers into a sidings to reverse driver or no driver.

Not all passengers are spotters that want to go for a ride to tell other spotters or put it on youtube they went where they shouldn't (eg bank DLR headshunt)

When passengers find out they have been over carried and there is no one else on the train, they may pull a pass com or egress and that will cause delays that TFL doesn't want, also it will delay the driver changing ends again causing delays in a tight turn around.

99.99% of passengers will know when they get to Paddington they get off for the rest they will have station staff to assist.

I'm not quite sure what the big deal is with this anyway TFL do train clearing before reversing across the whole network on a daily basis it's not as if crossrail is some special case.

dosxuk

Established Member
What did surprise me is that when you look on a network map there’s no crossover just east of Paddington which could have been useful should trains be running late and the move to Westbourne Park could be cancelled.
I suspect the ease of having consistent platforming at Paddington overrides the small time benefit you could gain. The Picc platforms at Kings Cross get chaotic enough when a service is reversed there, while there's going to be more space at Paddington, there's also a lot more train to sort out.

Lifelong

Is there any further news on an opening date at all please (asks someone whose life will be so improved by the opening on an every day basis...)?

Established Member
Interesting video. Which station is it that has platforms on a curve (albeit a gentle curve visually exacerbated by the long lens used)?

Tottenham Court Road eastbound has a slight right hand curve as you face the direction of travel.

Drivers keep with the same train regardless of whether the train is in auto reverse mode or not. You don’t want drivers swapping trains unnecessarily, it would be a recipe for major chaos during disruption. The whole point of auto reverse is it helps service recovery from minor delays. You can plan the timetable without it, but you lose that extra resilience when delays occur.

stuu

Established Member
Some actual facts:

The timetable planning rules published in 2020 say the following about auto-reverse:
Auto-Drive Operation 4.3.1
An automatic reversing facility2 (auto-reverse) allows movement of rolling stock without a driver present in the leading cab. It is provided to assist in the reversal of passenger trains terminating at Paddington (Elizabeth Line) station returning via the turn-back sidings at Westbourne Park and to move empty coaching stock in either direction between Abbey Wood station platforms and the Plumstead Stabling Sidings.

4.3.2 System logic determines the services in the daily timetable that the CBTC system will ‘offer’ auto-reverse to the driver by default based on the moves outlined in 4.3.1 above. There is no code available to plan this facility in the timetable received via the timetable CIF file transfer process

4.3.3 The driver must accept the offer of auto-reverse from the CBTC system for it to be invoked. If a driver is required to manually drive a default auto-reverse move created by the process in 4.3.2, then this should be instructed to the driver by the train operator.

4.3.4 The auto-reverse facility may also be used at Fisher Street, Vallance Road and Custom House crossovers although this is not included in the timetable CIF upload logic and this not available as a planned move without specific arrangements being made with the Route Control Centre for direct input to the ATS Timetable Editor.

4.3.5 Auto-Reverse Operation of ECS services is similarly available for the following moves:
• Woolwich to Plumstead CS via Plumstead East Junction;
• Plumstead CS to Woolwich via Plumstead East.

4.3.6 Auto-Reverse Operation (Zorro Moves) of trains in passenger service is permitted at the following crossovers:
• Fisher Street;
• Vallance Road; and
• Custom House East.

So auto-reverse is planned for Abbey Wood - Plumstead sidings, and for the crossovers on the central section with passengers on board.

It also states that auto-reverse takes 2 minutes, and manual reverse takes seven minutes.

This report about the train technical specification (from 2015), says the following:
To select a reversing auto reverse function at the specified locations the driver must:
Receive confirmation from the platform staff that the Unit has been cleared of passengers and is ready to depart

So reversing trains will be tipped out at Paddington, and autoreverse is planned to be used elsewhere including in passenger service.

The driver stays in their cab whilst the train is moving, and then walks down to the other cab whilst the train is stopped, so at no point is the train allowed to move without a driver in a cab

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Is there any further news on an opening date at all please (asks someone whose life will be so improved by the opening on an every day basis...)?
Frustrating as it may be, the London Reconnections article linked above gives good and well explained reasons why there isn't any news on an opening date, that being no final decision appears to have been taken and there are many different things to balance in reaching that decision.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2022/the-purple-elephant-in-the-room-crossrails-opening-date/

londontransit

Some actual facts:

The timetable planning rules published in 2020 say the following about auto-reverse:

So auto-reverse is planned for Abbey Wood - Plumstead sidings, and for the crossovers on the central section with passengers on board.

It also states that auto-reverse takes 2 minutes, and manual reverse takes seven minutes.

This report about the train technical specification (from 2015), says the following:

So reversing trains will be tipped out at Paddington, and autoreverse is planned to be used elsewhere including in passenger service.

The driver stays in their cab whilst the train is moving, and then walks down to the other cab whilst the train is stopped, so at no point is the train allowed to move without a driver in a cab
Zorro moves for Valence Road are no longer in the equation and its partially because passengers can be detrained/transferred at Whitechapel instead.

Frustrating as it may be, the London Reconnections article linked above gives good and well explained reasons why there isn't any news on an opening date, that being no final decision appears to have been taken and there are many different things to balance in reaching that decision.

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2022/the-purple-elephant-in-the-room-crossrails-opening-date/
LOL! XR hasn't even got authorisation from ORR yet and even when they get that it'll take several weeks to swing things into action. XR were having to redo elements of Trial Ops as its evac systems were not to the standards the LFB required.

Last edited by a moderator:

InOban

Established Member
Some actual facts:

I can't see how, if the driver remains in the leading cab until the train has stopped in the sidings, and only then walks the length of the train to the other end before it starts back to Paddington, if can save any time at all. Surely the whole point is that , having initiated the procedure at Paddington, the driver doesn't need to stay in the cab since it's not under their control and they can walk to the other end ready to resume control.
BTW will they not be using the reversal period to send in a squad to clear the rubbish etc?

Peter Sarf

Established Member
All this talk of auto reverse at Paddington. I am tempted to suggest a very low tech alternative. A loop. After all TfL have recently UN-done just that with the branch to Battersea. I don't suppose anyone would cry if there was no "destination" on the loop ?.

Another TfL location with reversing siding(s) is Harrow and Wealdstone btw.

I can't see how, if the driver remains in the leading cab until the train has stopped in the sidings, and only then walks the length of the train to the other end before it starts back to Paddington, if can save any time at all. Surely the whole point is that , having initiated the procedure at Paddington, the driver doesn't need to stay in the cab since it's not under their control and they can walk to the other end ready to resume control.
BTW will they not be using the reversal period to send in a squad to clear the rubbish etc?
Yes there does seem to be a conflict here.

EDIT in bold above (memory failure).

Last edited:

stuu

Established Member
All this talk of auto reverse at Paddington. I am tempted to suggest a very low tech alternative. A loop. After all TfL have recently done just that at Battersea. I don't suppose anyone would cry if there was no "destination" on the loop
There is no loop at Battersea. The Battersea extension connects directly to the loop at Kennington though

londontransit

One illusion about auto reversing at Westbourne Park is that trains will immediately commence their journeys eastward. They wont. In fact they'll be stacked for their next duties as the sidings hold three trains. There'll obviously be time for cleaning teams to do their work.

I think 'Zorro' at Westbourne Park is intended to be a time saver - eg when the timetable is up in the air and trains need to be rapidly turned round to reduce delays.

Essentially other than that there seems little point having these so-called Zorro moves.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Maybe the driver enters the rear cab during detainment at paddington and then activates the autoreverse procedure from there

Basil Jet

On Moderation
Interesting video. Which station is it that has platforms on a curve (albeit a gentle curve visually exacerbated by the long lens used)?

Judging by https://tfl.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=5129c766255941d3be16a6828faa8f18, TCR E/B is the only curved one.

I suspect the ease of having consistent platforming at Paddington overrides the small time benefit you could gain. The Picc platforms at Kings Cross get chaotic enough when a service is reversed there, while there's going to be more space at Paddington, there's also a lot more train to sort out.

You're talking about a train leaving KX southward from the northbound platform and then crossing over. I presume the other poster meant that the terminating Liz train would cross over before terminating in the E/B platform, and thus leave E/B from the correct platform.

One illusion about auto reversing at Westbourne Park is that trains will immediately commence their journeys eastward. They wont. In fact they'll be stacked for their next duties as the sidings hold three trains. There'll obviously be time for cleaning teams to do their work.

I think 'Zorro' at Westbourne Park is intended to be a time saver - eg when the timetable is up in the air and trains need to be rapidly turned round to reduce delays.

Essentially other than that there seems little point having these so-called Zorro moves.
I think the Zorro moves are for when engineering work has closed one track and the other is being used 2-way. They're called Zorro after the Z-shape of a train double-reversing in order to continue in the same direction on a different track, i.e. not terminating.

Do people like the striped light on the roof of the corridor? I can't help thinking a suitable lens on top of the lights could have sent less light straight up and more light out at an angle, creating a perfectly uniform lit ceiling. Or is it more arty to have stripes of light?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.