• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail construction

Status
Not open for further replies.

jellybaby

Does anyone know where inside Moorgate station the access to the Crossrail platforms will be?

The following has some hints:

crossrail-liverpool-street-06.jpg

Between the Northern line platforms there are escalators up to the Northern City (Great Northern) line platforms. The Crossrail Northern Line Link appears to come up here to Northern line level, currently behind blue hoardings. I think there is a lift opposite the escalator that comes down from the Northern City line and stairs opposite the escalator that goes up to the NCL.

From the Met/Circle I think there is a connection at the end of the terminating platforms next to the Westbound platform

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ijmad

Established Member
Does anyone know where inside Moorgate station the access to the Crossrail platforms will be?

Here's two 3D views of the station:

t9UYG2x.jpg

So it would appear there'll be stairs down from the area beside platform 2, beyond the buffer stops for platform 3 and 4, and a fairly direct and straightforward path down a bank of escalators after that.

I imagine if you're coming from P1, you'll need to use the subway, and indeed there's purple signs hiding behind stickers right now that seem to indicate the same thing. For the Northern line it seems you will also end up the subway via the 'Northern Line link' tunnel which is now being advertised as a quicker route to change from P1 to the Northern Line.

I think part of the corridor in to the new ticket hall is already open as a back exit from Moorgate station on to Fore Street Avenue (currently with no ticket gates!).

Last edited:

plcd1

The Moorgate access will require you to enter via the Sub Surface entrance in the southern end of Moorfields. As you enter you will need to a 90 degree turn and there will be a long escalator shaft to take you down to the western end of the Crossrail platforms at Liverpool St Crossrail stn. There are two separate escalator banks and an intermediate landing between them.

There are diagrams and artists impressions of part of the set up at https://anonw.com/tag/liverpool-street-station/ and also at https://www.hawkinsbrown.com/projects/liverpool-street-station

plcd1

Speaking of Liverpool Street station, will there be an open day, like there has been for other crossrail stations? I'm interested in Geoff Marshall's YouTube video, if there is.

No more open days are planned. I suspect there may be a chance, a few days before official opening, for people to wander round whatever bits of stations are actually deemed ready. There will be some element of "hype" from TfL about Crossrail opening but given the current total "radio silence" about the project there is clearly a desire to say nothing at all about it while enormous pressure is applied to get things ready. Whatever does happen at "opening" time is likely, IMO, to be rather muted compared to what may have been being contemplated a year ago. The uncertainty over what actually opens, when and to what level of functionality plus a lack of money will mean things are scaled back to avoid undue criticism and fuelling whatever reputational damage there will be if the line only part opens, has entrances not ready or is later than 9 December 2018.

I have to say TfL have done a sterling job in recent weeks about saying absolutely nothing about Crossrail. Not a squeak from anywhere.

sprunt

t9UYG2x.jpg

Thanks for the diagrams - I'll try mentally overlaying this when I'm next there. On this one it looks like they've linked the Mail Rail to the eastbound tunnel - what's going on there?

Fred26

Between the Northern line platforms there are escalators up to the Northern City (Great Northern) line platforms. The Crossrail Northern Line Link appears to come up here to Northern line level, currently behind blue hoardings. I think there is a lift opposite the escalator that comes down from the Northern City line and stairs opposite the escalator that goes up to the NCL.

From the Met/Circle I think there is a connection at the end of the terminating platforms next to the Westbound platform

t9UYG2x.jpg

So it would appear there'll be stairs down from the area beside platform 2, beyond the buffer stops for platform 3 and 4, and a fairly direct and straightforward path down a bank of escalators after that.

I imagine if you're coming from P1, you'll need to use the subway, and indeed there's purple signs hiding behind stickers right now that seem to indicate the same thing. For the Northern line it seems you will also end up the subway via the 'Northern Line link' tunnel which is now being advertised as a quicker route to change from P1 to the Northern Line.

I think part of the corridor in to the new ticket hall is already open as a back exit from Moorgate station on to Fore Street Avenue (currently with no ticket gates!).

The Moorgate access will require you to enter via the Sub Surface entrance in the southern end of Moorfields. As you enter you will need to a 90 degree turn and there will be a long escalator shaft to take you down to the western end of the Crossrail platforms at Liverpool St Crossrail stn. There are two separate escalator banks and an intermediate landing between them.

There are diagrams and artists impressions of part of the set up at https://anonw.com/tag/liverpool-street-station/ and also at https://www.hawkinsbrown.com/projects/liverpool-street-station

These are very helpful. I've been looking for something like this.

No more open days are planned. I suspect there may be a chance, a few days before official opening, for people to wander round whatever bits of stations are actually deemed ready. There will be some element of "hype" from TfL about Crossrail opening but given the current total "radio silence" about the project there is clearly a desire to say nothing at all about it while enormous pressure is applied to get things ready. Whatever does happen at "opening" time is likely, IMO, to be rather muted compared to what may have been being contemplated a year ago. The uncertainty over what actually opens, when and to what level of functionality plus a lack of money will mean things are scaled back to avoid undue criticism and fuelling whatever reputational damage there will be if the line only part opens, has entrances not ready or is later than 9 December 2018.

I have to say TfL have done a sterling job in recent weeks about saying absolutely nothing about Crossrail. Not a squeak from anywhere.

Okay, thanks. I'm sure I can wait another 3 months to see it myself.

ijmad

Established Member
Thanks for the diagrams - I'll try mentally overlaying this when I'm next there. On this one it looks like they've linked the Mail Rail to the eastbound tunnel - what's going on there?

I was wondering that myself. The mail rail tourist ride doesn't get anywhere near this area of the old tunnels (map), so perhaps it was used for access or as an emergency evacuation route during construction.

reytomas1228

Is there any current information/update regarding lift access to the Northern City line? I have tried searching but have not found much talking about those platforms.

Fred26

Is there any current information/update regarding lift access to the Northern City line? I have tried searching but have not found much talking about those platforms.

Immediately opposite the escalators from the NCL to the Northern Line are hoardings (on the Northern Line level). You can now see behind one and that is hiding a new lift.

Taunton

Established Member
The contract for the office block over Farringdon was only signed two weeks ago (there's quite a lot of detail about other oversite developments here as well)

https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/media/p...gramme-of-elizabeth-line-property-development
A development agreement has been signed between TfL and HB Reavis to build a 138,000 sq ft (Gross Leasable Area) mixed use scheme above Farringdon's new Elizabeth line platforms on the corner of Cowcross Street and Farringdon Road.

The site in Clerkenwell will be transformed into a mixed-use development with ground floor and basement retail combined with seven storeys of high-quality office space including a terrace, a fitness facility...

Last edited by a moderator:

Dstock7080

Established Member
Anyone got any updates?
I heard a rumor that it may open just with abbey wood to Canary wharf to start with in December also, not sure if there is any truth in that though?
I did post in the other thread that this maybe the case but things are unlikely to be ready for December, March or May seem likely.

reytomas1228

Immediately opposite the escalators from the NCL to the Northern Line are hoardings (on the Northern Line level). You can now see behind one and that is hiding a new lift.

Is there a corresponding hoarding on the NCL level? I have not visited Moorgate in a while I was always worried that step-free access would only reach the Northern Line.

plcd1

Is there a corresponding hoarding on the NCL level? I have not visited Moorgate in a while I was always worried that step-free access would only reach the Northern Line.

AIUI there are no plans for step free access to reach the NCL platforms as part of Crossrail's scope. Only the Northern Line has a tunnel link to Crossrail. There will be lifts between the LU sub surface platforms and ticket hall level to allow access to Crossrail's lifts down to their platforms. From memory there is NO step free access between the Northern Line and sub surface platforms UNLESS people go via the Crossrail platforms - a very long way round. All this assumes that Crossrail have better luck getting their lifts into service than LU does. There seem to be endemic problems with getting new lifts into service at LU stations.

Fred26

No, there isn't. At a guess, I'd say that there'll be up and down escalators from the Northern Line which will be opposite the exit from Northern Line to NCL. But no step-free access.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
For discussion of the delay to Crossrail's grand opening please use the dedicated thread that can be found here. This thread should be used for to discuss the ongoing construction efforts rather than the delay itself.

jellybaby

spinba11

That lift isn’t even working (no call button and wires hanging down from the top which I’m guessing will plug into a DMI)

ijmad

Established Member
Well, now they have an extra year to finish it (mods - I know, just a joke).

pacenotes

I seen them setting these up a couple of weeks ago. Anyone know what they are on the western portal?

img_2450-jpg.52271

Attachments

• IMG_2450.jpg
    IMG_2450.jpg
    196.4 KB · Views: 597

su31

AIUI there are no plans for step free access to reach the NCL platforms as part of Crossrail's scope. Only the Northern Line has a tunnel link to Crossrail. There will be lifts between the LU sub surface platforms and ticket hall level to allow access to Crossrail's lifts down to their platforms. From memory there is NO step free access between the Northern Line and sub surface platforms UNLESS people go via the Crossrail platforms - a very long way round. All this assumes that Crossrail have better luck getting their lifts into service than LU does. There seem to be endemic problems with getting new lifts into service at LU stations.

Interesting then, as the (new) signage on the Northern line northbound platform (albeit partially covered) indicates "lifts to all areas" which, to me, would include the NCL... someone needs to amend them before they're even uncovered!

Fred26

Interesting then, as the (new) signage on the Northern line northbound platform (albeit partially covered) indicates "lifts to all areas" which, to me, would include the NCL... someone needs to amend them before they're even uncovered!

I wouldn't be surprised if that didn't happen. Next time you're at Moorgate have a look at the new NCL network map at the top of the concourse to NCL escalators (you can tell it's new because it has London Overground on it). Three stations are missing! TfL have basically copied the old map from the 70s/80s before Welham Green and Watton-at-Stone were open, and before (presumably) services ran on to Stevenage. As far as that new map is concerned, as with the old ones, the Hertford line terminates at Hertford and doesn't run into Stevenage at all!

cybergreg

How will the final arrangement look like at Paddington? Please someone confirm that the H&C station will be once again part of the main shed. It's ludicrous that you have to leave the building and come back again just to get to an adjacent platform.

plcd1

How will the final arrangement look like at Paddington? Please someone confirm that the H&C station will be once again part of the main shed. It's ludicrous that you have to leave the building and come back again just to get to an adjacent platform.

I am pretty certain that the current arrangement for the H&C station is how things will remain. I agree it's ludicrous and convoluted but I suspect TfL are more than happy to have an entirely separate paid area from GWR / TfL Rail.

The only future development I am aware of at Paddington, ignoring Crossrail construction / Bakerloo link tunnel, is work near the Bakerloo ticket hall to construct another hideous office block on the site of the old Royal Mail building. That will have new access to an enlarged Bakerloo ticket hall. Can't remember when completion is scheduled for but probably a number of years hence. A quick google check would suggest the redevelopment scheme is mired in legal challenges over the planning decision / role of the former SoS for Local Government.

MarlowDonkey

How will the final arrangement look like at Paddington? .

The Crossrail station is going to be adjacent to platform 1. Changing to the Hammersmith & City is likely to remain tortuous. What will be the best (quickest) route from Paddington to Euston and Kings Cross (St Pancras) remain to be seem

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
The original plans had a more direct interchange route using the now blocked off end of the footbridge above P10-P14. Would still have had a separate barrier line. TfL then put in a subsequent application to use the space for some sort of electrical services room...

matt_world2004

Established Member
I was told it was not about people going from unbarriered stations that tfl were worried about not being able to control the crowding levels if a few trains arrived together. But it seems a ridoculous inconveniance.

Status
Not open for further replies.