• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - operating discussion and opening day 24th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

alholmes

Does anyone know what times trains will run to eventually? Similar time to now or a bit later?
A look at RTT for November 7th shows last through trains from Tottenham Court Road to the following destinations:

East:
00:04 Abbey Wood
00:27 Shenfield

West:
22:30 Reading
23:10 Heathrow T4
23:30 Maidenhead
00:29 Paddington

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt_world2004

Established Member
A look at RTT for November 7th shows last through trains from Tottenham Court Road to the following destinations:

East:
00:04 Abbey Wood
00:27 Shenfield

West:
22:30 Reading
23:10 Heathrow T4
23:30 Maidenhead
00:29 Paddington
There are later trains on Saturday.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Those are really early last trains for a major city.
That is because they aren't the last connections from London to those destinations. The 0015 connection from Tottenham Court Road looks good for the 0032 from Paddington to Maidenhead and Reading (and Oxford).

Last edited:

Acton1991

Once GWR hand over the remainder of their paths on the reliefs, do we know what additional service TfL will run?

JN114

Established Member
Once GWR hand over the remainder of their paths on the reliefs, do we know what additional service TfL will run?

I think it ends up being just the extra 2 trains per hour to Heathrow (4x T4 / 2x T5 vs current 2 each) - while that was theoretically possible with the GWR semi-fasts on the reliefs, it helps reliability East of Slough if GWR are on the mains.

AlbertBeale

Established Member

They're comparable to last Underground times in the centre... and, as has been said, for stations outside Greater London there are other (non-Crossrail-branded) services later.

hwl

Established Member
I think it ends up being just the extra 2 trains per hour to Heathrow (4x T4 / 2x T5 vs current 2 each) - while that was theoretically possible with the GWR semi-fasts on the reliefs, it helps reliability East of Slough if GWR are on the mains.
From November there are only a total of 4tph to Maidenhaead/Reading (4 Reading during Peak - all stopping service pattern and off peak 2 Reading (stopping) and 2 Maidenhead (same stops east of Maidenhead as the Reading services), hence I'd expect to see the long term planned Reading semi-fast Crossrail rail service added in May as well (the Abbey Wood - Paddington portions will run from November unlike the missing Heathrow service which are completely missing).

philjo

Established Member
Did my first trip on Elizabeth Line yesterday transferring from an GWR service at Paddington to a Cambridge train at Farringdon. (I was going to use underground to Kings Cross but saw the fast GN Ely train was cancelled so went on EL to Farringdon for TL service instead). As I had luggage I was using the lifts. It took 30 minutes from leaving Platform 9 at Paddington to the Northbound platform at Farringdon. I usually get to Kings Cross on the underground in about 22 minutes.

One issue: the upper lifts level with the mainline station at Paddington are really not pleasant to access if like me you suffer from Vertigo - they are accessed by a bridge with clear glass sides over the escalators. These sides really need to be opaque so you can’t see down the drop below.
The Lifts were also surprisingly small considering they are newly built and not retrofitted into existing tunnels. There were 2 adults with a suitcase and a pushchair plus me with a rucksack and a suitcase and the lift was completely full. There were several other families approaching with pushchairs and it looked like one family of 5 with luggage and pushchair had to use more then one lift.

Also for those with mobility issues there is still a lot of walking needed. At Paddington the lower lifts to platform level are at the east end of the Platforms. However to exit at Farringdon the exit is at the west end so you have to walk the length of the train at some point. A pity there wasn’t a lift from the platforms at the West end at Paddington considering it is a major interchange. I walked the length of the platform at Paddington as I had just missed a train and I knew that I would need the rear section to exit at Farringdon. The rear section of the train was almost empty - it looked like most people were crowding in the front 2-3 coaches.
You gain by the level boarding compared to the large gaps on the Hammersmith and city line platforms at Paddington but I think the walk involved is slightly less using the underground.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

A Maidenhead terminator. Off peak there’s an extra 2tph that don’t currently exist.

There are later non-through trains that start at Paddington & Liverpool Street high level.

rd749249

From Monday 5th, the first trains for passengers will be the 0534 from Abbey Wood and 0544 from Paddington. There will also be four services from the east that will become passenger services from Whitechapel.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Ah so not an extra Heathrow service? That will stay at 4tph?

For now, yes. Not sure that comes in until May 2023.

Did my first trip on Elizabeth Line yesterday transferring from an GWR service at Paddington to a Cambridge train at Farringdon. (I was going to use underground to Kings Cross but saw the fast GN Ely train was cancelled so went on EL to Farringdon for TL service instead). As I had luggage I was using the lifts. It took 30 minutes from leaving Platform 9 at Paddington to the Northbound platform at Farringdon. I usually get to Kings Cross on the underground in about 22 minutes.

One issue: the upper lifts level with the mainline station at Paddington are really not pleasant to access if like me you suffer from Vertigo - they are accessed by a bridge with clear glass sides over the escalators. These sides really need to be opaque so you can’t see down the drop below.
The Lifts were also surprisingly small considering they are newly built and not retrofitted into existing tunnels. There were 2 adults with a suitcase and a pushchair plus me with a rucksack and a suitcase and the lift was completely full. There were several other families approaching with pushchairs and it looked like one family of 5 with luggage and pushchair had to use more then one lift.

Also for those with mobility issues there is still a lot of walking needed. At Paddington the lower lifts to platform level are at the east end of the Platforms. However to exit at Farringdon the exit is at the west end so you have to walk the length of the train at some point. A pity there wasn’t a lift from the platforms at the West end at Paddington considering it is a major interchange. I walked the length of the platform at Paddington as I had just missed a train and I knew that I would need the rear section to exit at Farringdon. The rear section of the train was almost empty - it looked like most people were crowding in the front 2-3 coaches.
You gain by the level boarding compared to the large gaps on the Hammersmith and city line platforms at Paddington but I think the walk involved is slightly less using the underground.

Ultimately they’ve had to weave the infrastructure around a lot of existing sites. The platforms are indeed long, but that is the nature of the increased capacity. At key stations you need to be in the right part of the train to prevent excessive walking. The lifts at Paddington are slightly closer to the front of the train but not right at the front.

345 050

From Monday 5th, the first trains for passengers will be the 0534 from Abbey Wood and 0544 from Paddington. There will also be four services from the east that will become passenger services from Whitechapel.
Exciting to see these Whitechapel starters.

317 forever

Established Member
On Tuesday I rode CrossRail from Abbey Wood to Tottenham Court Road then the Northern Line to Euston. The spacious platforms and passenger tunnels were pleasant as was the air conditioning. It made the Northern Line look cramped and stuffy by comparison.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
A lot of people using the Elizabeth Line to / from Heathrow today due to the Piccadilly line closure. Surprised more people don't use it tbh.

Mikey C

Established Member
I've been using the Liz line as one of the ways of getting to the Barbican Centre these last few days (the Barbican exit from Farringdon station is really useful), and had forgotten that the central section is shut on Sunday!

TFN

A lot of people using the Elizabeth Line to / from Heathrow today due to the Piccadilly line closure. Surprised more people don't use it tbh.
I'm guessing when through running starts in November, a lot will switch over.

I suspect TfL won't bother having coaches for the Heathrow Picc closures after this happens.

Mikey C

Established Member
I'm guessing when through running starts in November, a lot will switch over.

I suspect TfL won't bother having coaches for the Heathrow Picc closures after this happens.
The Liz line doesn't go to the same intermediate destinations though, so these would still need to be covered. AND it costs more too, so I'm not sure whether TfL could morally "cancel" a service and force people to use a more expensive one.

I used the Liz line in the summer to get back from Heathrow, and the current long connection at Paddington between the sections would have been pretty unpleasant for those with heavy luggage.

coppercapped

Established Member
It’s also more expensive which is a barrier for some
Possibly only for those who are not flying...

If you look at the magnitude of the price differential between the Elizabeth line and the Piccadilly from central London to Heathrow it will be a small fraction of the air fare, even for a short flight. Passengers won't even notice it.

Acton1991

Possibly only for those who are not flying...

If you look at the magnitude of the price differential between the Elizabeth line and the Piccadilly from central London to Heathrow it will be a small fraction of the air fare, even for a short flight. Passengers won't even notice it.
It’s more the principle for me, and how TfL brand it as Zone 6 on the Elizabeth line. It’s definitely not if you’re making one journey to the airport to catch a flight.

Lockwood

I'm not sure whether TfL could morally "cancel" a service and force people to use a more expensive one.

Given how cash strapped they are, perhaps they would consider the "immoral" option more than they would be in the past?

Not stating an opinion one way or the other, but I would be surprised if nobody at tfl thought "we can make money here"

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It’s more the principle for me, and how TfL brand it as Zone 6 on the Elizabeth line. It’s definitely not if you’re making one journey to the airport to catch a flight.
It is in Zone 6 - you can use a Travelcard there. It's just that special fares apply. Not a brilliant situation but a lot better than the previous nonsense of pretending it was outside Zone 6.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Tweet has been deleted. I wonder if they've changed their mind?

kevin_roche

I have to go to London for a meeting on 20th September from Basingstoke and am thinking of going and taking a look at the new line. I want to go from TCR to Abbey Wood and then all the way to Reading where I can get home by an alternate route. Should I buy some sort of ticket or use my contactless card? I don't currently have any kind of discount card. I think I can get a return ticket in Basingstoke that will cover me on both the SWT and to Reading on GWR trains. Will that work on the EL from Paddington too?

Kite159

Veteran Member
I have to go to London for a meeting on 20th September from Basingstoke and am thinking of going and taking a look at the new line. I want to go from TCR to Abbey Wood and then all the way to Reading where I can get home by an alternate route. Should I buy some sort of ticket or use my contactless card? I don't currently have any kind of discount card. I think I can get a return ticket in Basingstoke that will cover me on both the SWT and to Reading on GWR trains. Will that work on the EL from Paddington too?
Depending on the time of day & what else you are doing in London, the easiest ticket will probably be an any permitted travelcard from Basingstoke.

Although might be cheaper using a standard off peak day return (ensuring that it's the any permitted one rather than "via Woking") and using oyster. Depends if you want to exit the station at Abbey

Status
Not open for further replies.