• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - operating discussion and opening day 24th May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It's a pity the idea of a loop connecting with Kings Cross/St P and Euston didn't happen. Three massive infrastructure projects (HS1, HS2 and Elizabeth) and none connecting with any other. I suppose it's a metaphor for the lack of joined-up thinking in British politics generally.
I think it was always intended mainly as a relief for the Central Line. I don’t recall any formal suggestions to go via the Euston Rd, although it was possibly a very early proposal that was overtaken by the time the route was settled.

Established Member
They were on the same train as us from Woolwich Arsenal to Abbey Wood to connect with the first EL departure from there (I think the Premier Inn Woolwich Arsenal must have been full last night ;))

Funny how we were told on arrival at Abbey Wood to join the end of the queue and as a result could not travel on the first train, yet his crowd somehow managed it :rolleyes:

That’s dedication!

I must admit the idea of queuing up at 0630 in the rain appealed like a hole in the head :D. However I’m certainly looking forward to making a few journeys through the core later this week.

kristiang85

Established Member
They're already calling it the new 'London Underground' line on the BBC and Radio 2 news. Steve Wright said it was an addition to London Underground too. Is it actually National Rail?

TFL paid for much of it and run it though, so I guess it is part of London transport, but not technically a 'London underground line'.

However, to a layman, it is a line that goes underground through central London, so I fully expect it to be included in the 'tube' vernacular in due course when people refer to getting it.

James H

On the tunneled stations like TCR it seems redundant to include the platform letter in the announcements ("the next train at platform A is...") when the announcement is only played on that platform and there are relatively few signs confirming which platform you are on.

On the stations with an island platform I can understand it, but it really ought to be possible to strip the announcements of superfluous information.

Route115?

I rode it from 10:30 - 13:00 and was surprised how busy it was but many appeared to there to look at a new line. It will be interested to see how full it is in a couple of weeks. I must see what the peak is like tomorrow morning.

I was generally very impressed - the stations are certainly impressive. Fifty years after Paris we hace our own RER. There is a quite a lot of walking in places - I suppose that will always be the case with a new line. The link to the Northern Line at Liverpool St is certainly very long and sometimes you have to go up then down. The interchange at Farringdon is poor - it would have been nice to have a mezzanine under the Thameslink / LUL platforms but I suppose that there is simply not enough space. As it is you seem to be directed to go through two sets of barriers - presumably it will be like the old interchange between the sub-surface & tube lines at Kings X / St Pancras and the gates will return single use tickets. The alternative is to walk along the Northbound Thameslink platform. Overall though a big thumbs up from me.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Is there any sign of Crossrail taking the pressure off the Central and Jubilee lines yet?

Would expect the H+C and part of the Met to see a serious fall , as of course , planned. Certainly what I call "Paddington Suburban" seemed very quiet at just before midday.

ijmad

Established Member
Apparently (source unverified), over 50,000 people had ridden through the central section by 10am this morning

miklcct

On Moderation
I've heard that there will be a special service on the Jubilee weekend Sunday.

I'll go to Slough on that day but Google Maps is telling me to go to Paddington to take GWR for a 07:00 arrival at Slough, while I'm expecting to use the Thameslink to Farringdon and take the the shiny new train. When will it operate?

kevin_roche

The BBC are saying the Evacuation at Paddington was because dust was stired up by the passengers triggered the fire alarms.

Nottingham59

Established Member
Apparently (source unverified), over 50,000 people had ridden through the central section by 10am this morning
Well at 12 tph each way, that's 126,000 capacity in those three and a half hours. Meaning those trains would have been about 40% full. Does that sound about right?

PG

Established Member
Any delays due to staff shortage , wrong weather etc , yet ?
Just joking , I am glad they finally opened it .
Will EL be running (and open to passengers) if the tube strike goes ahead on 6th June?

Abbey Wood is an absolute nightmare to connect at today with a paper travelcard- you have to go through both sets of barriers, but it's too short for it to actually work. I had to jump the barrier to make the SE service I wanted
I take it that there is a minimum timed interval between the two sets of barriers for some reason?

Where is the brass band and will the invited guests have a cold buffet for lunch, or did this stop around 120 years ago at openings?
We could ask Jacob Rees-Mogg :lol:

CeeJ

Quite an exciting day across the Crossrail network - the staff seem very happy, Geoff Marshall perpetually being surrounded, and even got in a quick chat with Mark Wild. Commuters seem to already be using it - guy sat next to me said he'd been waiting 10 years!

Abbey Wood is an absolute nightmare to connect at today with a paper travelcard- you have to go through both sets of barriers, but it's too short for it to actually work. I had to jump the barrier to make the SE service I wanted

By about midday all the gates/bridges had been opened up, so connecting with a paper travel card should be fine.

Monarch010

I thought I'd give it a try next Sunday, but there's no service on Sundays. Why's that?

I thought I'd give it a try next Sunday, but there's no service on Sundays. Why's that?
Forgot to say, no service to Abby Wood on Sundays.

djw

Forgot to say, no service to Abby Wood on Sundays.

Other than the Platinum Jubilee weekend, there is no Sunday service at the moment for ongoing testing and integration work, ready for through running to start in autumn 2022.

geoffk

Established Member
How far is Woolwich station from Woolwich Arsenal SE station? The Crossrail website describes Woolwich as an interchange station with DLR and National Rail.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
TFL paid for much of it and run it though, so I guess it is part of London transport, but not technically a 'London underground line'.

However, to a layman, it is a line that goes underground through central London, so I fully expect it to be included in the 'tube' vernacular in due course when people refer to getting it.
I noticed at Liverpool Street that the signage made a clear distinction in the signage between the Underground lines (Central, Circle etc) on one sign, and "National Rail, Overground and Elizabeth Line" on another (OG and EL are thgerefore correctly grouped as part of NR)

Starting the day at Gunnersbury, I noted that the District Line diagram there showed interchange at Whitechapel with the Elizabeth Line, but the Overground diagram showed interchange at Stratford with TfL Rail.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I’m there on Saturday and will be using contactless. Is it permissible to whizz up and down for a while without tapping out until I’m ready to leave, albeit from a different station?

Domh245

Established Member
It's interesting that people don't seem to rate Canary Wharf - I found it (+ Paddington & Woolwich) more interesting than the big, samey concrete caverns between Tottenham Court Road - Whitechapel! They're impressive but a bit "meh", the others at least all feel more unique!

djw

https://twitter.com/geofftech/status/1528971712074768384

Geoff and crowd from the Abbey Wood end, which left a minute late.

They were on the same train as us from Woolwich Arsenal to Abbey Wood to connect with the first EL departure from there (I think the Premier Inn Woolwich Arsenal must have been full last night ;))

Funny how we were told on arrival at Abbey Wood to join the end of the queue and as a result could not travel on the first train, yet his crowd somehow managed it :rolleyes:

Not everyone who was with Geoff got on at Abbey Wood. After arriving with Geoff on SouthEastern and being directed to the queue outside, JenOnTheMove bailed out and got a PHV to Woolwich, joining the first train from Abbey Wood at Woolwich.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
The BBC are saying the Evacuation at Paddington was because dust was stired up by the passengers triggered the fire alarms.

Partially true but yes ultimately it was due to passengers travelling through areas that hadn't been touched en masse continuously to that extent! The evacuation seemed pretty smooth really - only 30 minutes with passengers detrained at Tottenham Court Road and services passing through Paddington (to reverse at Westbourne Park) until station reopened.

norbitonflyer

Established Member
How far is Woolwich station from Woolwich Arsenal SE station? The Crossrail website describes Woolwich as an interchange station with DLR and National Rail.
It's about 150 metres, in an almost straight line. Unfortunately neither station has a sign projecting out into the street so they are not actually visible from each other. I got thoroughly lost between the two!

Interchange at Abbey Wood is a lot easier.

Status
Not open for further replies.