• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail's Elizabeth line to Terminal 5, 22tph to Heathrow, Oyster on HEx agreed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaJaWa

Established Member
Piccadilly line being marked as an interchange at the Heathrow stations suggests they expect some people transfer from the Elizabeth line onto it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ijmad

Established Member
Piccadilly line being marked as an interchange at the Heathrow stations suggests they expect some people transfer from the Elizabeth line onto it.

Plenty of journeys could be possible this way, e.g. Hayes & Harlington to Hounslow. Not sure they're sensible, but that's not a precondition for TfL maps showing an interchange symbol.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Plenty of journeys could be possible this way, e.g. Hayes & Harlington to Hounslow. Not sure they're sensible, but that's not a precondition for TfL maps showing an interchange symbol.

Perhaps not Hounslow, but Hatton Cross might be sensible, depending of course what fare levels are set via Heathrow.

berneyarms

Established Member
Hounslow is more difficult to get to by bus than hatton cross from hayes.

How exactly? They both have direct high frequency bus services from Hayes & Harlington.

H98 to Hounslow and 90 to Hatton X.

The usefulness of using Heathrow as a connecting rail hub would be very limited.

Last edited:

cle

Established Member
I agree. If any of the WRaTH/Southern access things come to fruition, then it could well become a regional hub, which the Piccadilly line could play a part in - but until then I don't see the journeys really.

matt_world2004

Established Member
How exactly? They both have direct high frequency bus services from Hayes & Harlington.

H98 to Hounslow and 90 to Hatton X.

The usefulness of using Heathrow as a connecting rail hub would be very limited.

90 to hatton cross about 16 minutes door to door h98 about 16-60 minutes door to door depending on traffic it is actually easier at some times of the day to get a bus to hatton cross and change onto the Piccadilly

rebmcr

Established Member
TfL route diagrams show all interchanges, it doesn't matter whether someone has decided whether the journey is realistic.

The only exception is where lines share an alignment for several stations in a row, then they will only show the first & last stations on the shared segment, plus obvious interchanges.

Trailfinder

The Crossrail map should also show that Heathrow 2/3 is a major coach station - people are not only going to the airport to catch planes, National Express operate extensive services from there. Some services also operate from T5.

The Crossrail map should also show that Heathrow 2/3 is a major coach station - people are not only going to the airport to catch planes, National Express operate extensive services from there. Some services also operate from T5.

I agree, living close to Heathrow I used to use Heathrow regularly to get a coach to/from Oxford.

LLivery

Established Member
TfL route diagrams show all interchanges, it doesn't matter whether someone has decided whether the journey is realistic.

The only exception is where lines share an alignment for several stations in a row, then they will only show the first & last stations on the shared segment, plus obvious interchanges.

Never seen a NR/HEx symbol for the Heathrow stations yet...

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Not sure how keen HAL would be on encouraging non-air passengers onto their property, from whom they receive no revenue.

Not sure how keen HAL would be on encouraging non-air passengers onto their property, from whom they receive no revenue.

I think it is only fair that locals that have to put up with all the disruption Heathrow brings should be able to take advantage of the facilities. We are talking about public transport here HAL does not own it and would be unable to operate without it.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I think it is only fair that locals that have to put up with all the disruption Heathrow brings should be able to take advantage of the facilities. We are talking about public transport here HAL does not own it and would be unable to operate without it.

There's a difference between 'Not minding locals who are in the know doing it' (as today) and 'actively promoting or encouraging it' (which was my point by advertising the interchange)

There's a difference between 'Not minding locals who are in the know doing it' (as today) and 'actively promoting or encouraging it' (which was my point by advertising the interchange)

Fair point but I think it is quite widely known that Heathrow is a mini Victoria coach station.

cle

Established Member

I'm pretty sure they receive something from the National Express ticket for use of their land/facilities/coach station - plus associated revenue from retail, parking etc etc from coach passengers.

matt_world2004

Established Member
According to the crossrail website the 6tph heathrow service is starting in may 2018 not the 4tph in 2018 and the additional 2tph in 2019. It lists 6tph from Hayes & Harlington and Heathrow as starting 2018 curiously it shows only 4tph heathrow going from Hanwell in jay 2018

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I'm pretty sure they receive something from the National Express ticket for use of their land/facilities/coach station - plus associated revenue from retail, parking etc etc from coach passengers.

The extra interchange will attract more coach passengers, which means it's more beneficial for NatEx etc to run more coaches to Heathrow, making it more accessible for air passengers. So more air passengers are likely to go via Heathrow, and there are more alternatives to the car which helps them towards their mode share and emissions targets.

Also some of them might spend something in the shops while waiting for their connections, increasing the footfall and therefore the rentals they can charge for retail.

Both small effects but likely to be worth the small extra cost to Heathrow of having a few extra people and coaches moving around.

rebmcr

Established Member

Never seen a NR/HEx symbol for the Heathrow stations yet...

They're not interchanges, as (in 2017) it involves walking out of the Zones.

JaJaWa

Established Member
They're not interchanges, as (in 2017) it involves walking out of the Zones.

Stratford International has an NR symbol despite being out of zones (and even did before the rail service there gained Oyster).

rebmcr

Established Member
Stratford International has an NR symbol despite being out of zones (and even did before the rail service there gained Oyster).

That would be the inconsistency then; Heathrow being blank and then gaining the interchanges is as-expected.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Interchanges on tube maps are only shown with national rail services Heathrow connect(between hayes and Heathrow) and Heathrow express are not part of the national rail network

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
According to the crossrail website the 6tph heathrow service is starting in may 2018 not the 4tph in 2018 and the additional 2tph in 2019. It lists 6tph from Hayes & Harlington and Heathrow as starting 2018 curiously it shows only 4tph heathrow going from Hanwell in jay 2018

Have you got a link to that? I'm only seeing a reference to Dec 2019 still.

Is the different number for Hanwell because it is one of the stations that wasn't intended to get all trains stopping anyway?

matt_world2004

Established Member

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

OK, it looks like they are updating different pages gradually - I was still on the 'news page' that doesn't make it explicitly clear.

As an example of stale info, the western timetable here:
http://74f85f59f39b887b696f-ab65625...attern-reading_to_central_london_aug_2016.pdf
is still the March 2016 version...

I've sent feedback in asking if it can be updated.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.