• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crowborough to Telford

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
I am going from Crowborough to Telford tomorrow, booked on the 9.10 from Euston. When I booked the ticket I could catch the 7.14 from Crowborough, and for some reason change at East Croydon to Victoria, then Victoria line to Euston. I say for some reason as I would route myself via London Bridge, St Pancras and walk, or London Bridge and Northern line.

However tomorrow National Rail enquires are saying I need to catch the 6.44, change at Hurst Green to Victoria etc.

The 7.14 from Crowborough to London Bridge is running tomorrow so can I catch it and go via London Bridge and still catch the 9.10 from Euston. I know I can in theory but if something goes wrong will I be able to seek to be carried on the next Birmingham service?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Presume the issue is to do with minimum interchange times between London terminals, be right in saying that the 0714 from Crowborough doesn't arrive into London Bridge until 0823, which is less than an hour before the 0910 Euston->Birmingham New Street departure.

BTW, what ticket type do you have? Is it an Advance "Route ✠AWC &CONNECTIONS" rather than an Anytime?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Minimum interchange time between London Bridge and Euston is 48 minutes so you're fine to travel via London Bridge so a 08:23 arrival doesn’t leave sufficient time. Also check if you have any compulsory reservations between Crowborough and London.

I can't see an official connection to travel via St Pancras and a walk to Euston as the official interchange time between St Pancras and Euston is 35 minutes which would mean you'd need to be at STP by 08:35 and this isn't possible using the 07:14 from Crowborough.

Last edited:

Chrisgr31

Established Member
I have a season ticket to do the Crowborough London Terminals bit and an Advance Single to do the Euston Telford bit.

Thanks MCR and Hadders

Haywain

Veteran Member
Minimum interchange time between London Bridge and Euston is 48 minutes so you're fine to travel via London Bridge but do check if you have any compulsory reservations between Crowborough and London.
If arrival at London Bridge is 08:23 and departure from Euston at 09:10 this does not meet the minimum connection time. As the OP does not hold a through ticket either I would advise against relying on such a connection on both grounds.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If arrival at London Bridge is 08:23 and departure from Euston at 09:10 this does not meet the minimum connection time. As the OP does not hold a through ticket either I would advise against relying on such a connection on both grounds.
Correct - having a brain fart this morning! Original post updated.

paul1609

Established Member
I am going from Crowborough to Telford tomorrow, booked on the 9.10 from Euston. When I booked the ticket I could catch the 7.14 from Crowborough, and for some reason change at East Croydon to Victoria, then Victoria line to Euston. I say for some reason as I would route myself via London Bridge, St Pancras and walk, or London Bridge and Northern line.
If you don't join at a Thameslink served station south of East Croydon it is always much quicker to go to Victoria and then take the Victoria line to Euston in normal running. Basically fast train frequency on East Croydon to Victoria followed by the Victoria line frequency beats the frequency and journey time on fast Thameslink services to St Pancras. The only reason to use St Pancras for Euston from the south is to avoid the tube.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I have a season ticket to do the Crowborough London Terminals bit and an Advance Single to do the Euston Telford bit.

Thanks MCR and Hadders
What are you using between your arrival London Terminal and Euston? Your season isn’t valid to St Pancras, which was one of your proposed routes.

I thought it’s risky for overall delay repay if your cross London leg is a separate ticket, or using Oyster or Contactless?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What are you using between your arrival London Terminal and Euston? Your season isn’t valid to St Pancras, which was one of your proposed routes.

I thought it’s risky for overall delay repay if your cross London leg is a separate ticket, or using Oyster or Contactless?
There’s nothing saying Oyster or contactless can’t be used but it’s potentially more complicated if you need to ‘prove’ there’s been a delay.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
There’s nothing saying Oyster or contactless can’t be used but it’s potentially more complicated if you need to ‘prove’ there’s been a delay.
That’s what I understood, yes. Potential for argument about it being a single through journey..

avid2424

Two points. A 0910 Service for Euston to Telford does not seem to be showing on the Forum's Ticket booking site. What am I missing?

And a Oyster or Contactless tap in will be required at London Bridge or Blackfriars or City Thameslink. Meaning perhaps an extra 4 minutes of journey time?

JBuchananGB

09.10 departure from Euston is to Birmingham with a change there to Telford. TfL journey planner says it takes 26 minutes from London Bridge to Euston, of which 12 minutes is the actual journey time on the Northern Line. Any normal person would think that arriving at London Bridge at 08.23, with a view to departing Euston at 09.10 would be quite acceptable. But in the dystopian world of National Rail journey planners, you could make it to the 09.16 from Euston arriving Birmingham at 10.36, missing the 10.56 train to Telford, which you could catch if you were on the 09.10 from Euston. You couldn't make it up!

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
09.10 departure from Euston is to Birmingham with a change there to Telford. TfL journey planner says it takes 26 minutes from London Bridge to Euston, of which 12 minutes is the actual journey time on the Northern Line. Any normal person would think that arriving at London Bridge at 08.23, with a view to departing Euston at 09.10 would be quite acceptable. But in the dystopian world of National Rail journey planners, you could make it to the 09.16 from Euston arriving Birmingham at 10.36, missing the 10.56 train to Telford, which you could catch if you were on the 09.10 from Euston. You couldn't make it up!
This is probably for another thread but many would think 48 minutes was insufficient.

The interchange time has to account for someone alighting from the rear of a 12-car train at London Bridge, making their way with luggage to the Northern Line, waiting for a Northern Line train to come, then alighting and making their way to the Avanti train. All of this for someone who doesn’t know the layout of the station.

Haywain

Veteran Member
The interchange time has to account for someone alighting from the rear of a 12-car train at London Bridge, making their way with luggage to the Northern Line, waiting for a Northern Line train to come, then alighting and making their way to the Avanti train. All of this for someone who doesn’t know the layout of the station.
And in allowing for all that provides a measure of protection that is not provided for shorter times. Anyone wishing to take advantage of shorter interchange times can do so but cannot expect much help or sympathy if things go wrong.

Chrisgr31

Established Member
I would use Oyster between London Bridge and St Pancras. Tapping in and out at London Bridge is easy, out one barrier back in the adjacent one.

However if a 48 minute change time between London Bridge and St P is required I’ll catch the 6.44 from Crowborough. This morning the 7.14 was late due to an operational incident so can’t rely on it being on time.

avid2424

Tapping out and tapping back in at London Bridge does involve going down and back up a very long escalator. Unless anyone thinks otherwise

And if you leave the train via the most suitable door you could be seriously delayed if the train on the opposite platform had arrived 15 seconds earlier and all its disgorged passengers were jamming the escalator. Equally you might be at just the wrong moment to get a clear run back up the escalator

And I think best to go out through the barriers and then tap back in. Otherwise it might look like short faring

And of course passengers arriving at other platforms might also be jamming the exit barriers especially during that peak morning time

Possibly for another thread but the forum’s ticket engine only displays the 09:10 from Euston to Birmingham if I delete the tick for split tickets

Chrisgr31

Established Member
If you come in to the terminal platforms in the first place as I do you come down a short escalator that you have to come down anyway. So tap exit, and straight back in again as I did today to fix the delay in case delay repay applied.

Status
Not open for further replies.