• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Newbury? New-Berry.

If I'm right I'd like to suggest one, before anyone jumps in again :|

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That's correct, over to you Mojo. :)

Did you get it from the description, or from Googling me to see where my old school is?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It was a conmbination of the two really!

My one might be quite simple, but I can't think of one much better.

"A famous musician with a pet toy."

That's correct, over to you Mojo. :)

Did you get it from the description, or from Googling me to see where my old school is?

Good one Peter. I could remember the sweets from your clue this morning, but I was convinced it was York's Fruits (which was discounted earlier).
We always had those sweets in the hamper at Christmas!

It was a conmbination of the two really!

My one might be quite simple, but I can't think of one much better.

"A famous musician with a pet toy."

My initial thought was (Simply) Redcar, but whilst a car can be a toy, it isn't a pet's toy :D Back to the drawing board....

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Marylebone?
Bat (out of hell) & Ball?

I'm getting desperate now!
Which one is it? ;)

You're right... it is Marylebone, which is pronounced Marley bone. The clue comes from Bob Marley (famous musician) and bone (pet toy).

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sorry - bzzzzzzzzzzzt - Challenge !!!

I always thought it was pronounced as 'marry - le - bone' :D

This is a common misconception. I live in Marylebone and I can assure you that that it is pronounced Marleybone (as per announcements on the Bakerloo line), or also like this (clip from Wikipedia but can also be heard on the iBus system).

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Which one is it? ;)

You're right... it is Marylebone, which is pronounced Marley bone. The clue comes from Bob Marley (famous musician) and bone (pet toy).

Gah! I didn't even think of Bob Marley - I was thinking Marilyn-bone (either Marilyn Monroe, though not a musician as such, or Marilyn Manson). Makes much more sense now!

Now let's see...

OK, an easy one:
This station's made of potato and pork products.

EM2

Established Member
Maidstone - Maid's tone? No jeering though so I'm guessing not.
You're pretty darn close!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Lad Brookes gets it. Maidstone Barracks.
An alternative meaning of 'barrack' is as a verb 'to barrack', meaning to jeer or abuse.
In the UK, you'd say football fans barrack opposing players, whereas in Australia and New Zealand it means to support your own players. 'Who ya barrack for, mate?'

Last edited:

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Took a while but I think I've got it:

Yeovil Junction

Hey! = Yo!, a French town is une ville and a choice of directions is a Junction.

Death

Established Member
Took a while but I think I've got it:
Yeovil Junction
Hey! = Yo!, a French town is une ville and a choice of directions is a Junction.
That certainly sounds like it (Or at least it fits the bill - Check with Lad Brooks. :))...Far closer than the really badly linked Wigan North Western I was going to go for! :D
  • Wi = Sounds like a shortened Wye aye! greeting, common in the North,
  • Gan = Go = Somewhere distant (I.E: France),
  • North Western = Two points of the compass, which give multiple directions. :)

Lad Brookes

Oh, forgot about this. Yes, Yeovil Junction is the one.

Started off devising one for Yeovil Pen Mill, but thought that as there's only one Pen Mill, then that would fall as soon as anyone worked that one out...

deltic1989

Established Member
I've been lurking in the shadows on this thread but I think i've come up with one, if the floor is open may I be permitted to submit this?

A part of a Chain from a German City, made by a holy man, who owns a department store.

deltic1989

Established Member
Unfortunately death my friend that is incorrect. However after re-reading the quiz rules i've realised im in breach as the station in question is closed, so please disregard unless the OP and mods are happy for it to stand, if so take the above as a clue, if not then i'm sorry and I promise to pay more attention to what is written next time.

flymo

Established Member
Lincoln St. Marks. (Link + Köln + Saint + Marks [& Spencers])

:D

If correct try this one:

A popular 70's rock band is environmentally friendly