• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
No action -- including no hints from the setter -- for a week. Might we consider calling it a blank slate here, and continuing with the game?

Calthrop

Established Member
Ingenious one -- which I'd never have got ! Thanks -- new entry herewith:

Drunks plead erratically, fund gin & bitters too, MD ! to charitable healer

Last edited:

DanTrain

Blundellsands & Crosby?

I'm not entirely sure that Bing Crosby counts as a charitable healer, and I've no idea what the 1st bit is eluding to!

For anyone else guessing, this is helpful: http://allthestations.co.uk/updates/
Abergele & Pensarn, Ansdell & Fairhaven, Arrochar & Tarbet, Ashwell & Morden, Bat & Ball, Blundellsands & Crosby, Borough Green & Wrotham, Boxhill & Westhumble, Byfleet & New Haw, Caledonian Road & Barnsbury, Cam & Dursley, Cark & Cartmel, Chalfont & Latimer, Chappel & Wakes Colne, Chestfield & Swalecliffe, Church & Oswaldtwistle, Cobham & Stoke D’abernon, Digby & Sowton, Dore & Totley, Dunkeld & Birnam, Elephant & Castle, Elstree & Borehamwood, Elton & Orston, Energlyn & Churchill Park, Finchley Road & Frognal, Fishguard & Goodwick, Goring & Streatley, Haddenham & Thame Parkway, Harrow & Wealdstone, Hatfield & Stainforth, Hayes & Harlington, Highbridge & Burnham, Highbury & Islington, Hoveton & Wroxham, Ince & Elton, Kirkham & Wesham, Lazonby & Kirkoswald, Lisvane & Thornhill, Mottisfont & Dunbridge, Nailsea & Backwell, Pembrey & Burry Port, Pevensey & Westham, Pontypool & New Inn, Portsmouth & Southsea, Possilpark & Parkhouse, Priesthill & Darnley, Ramsgreave & Wilpshire, Risca & Pontymister, Sandal & Agbrigg, Sandwell & Dudley, Seaforth & Litherland, Seer Green & Jordans, Stanlow & Thornton, Steeton & Silsden, Sudbury & Harrow Road, Tutbury & Hatton, Windsor & Eton Central, Windsor & Eton Riverside

Calthrop

Established Member
Blundellsands & Crosby?

I'm not entirely sure that Bing Crosby counts as a charitable healer, and I've no idea what the 1st bit is eluding to!

For anyone else guessing, this is helpful: http://allthestations.co.uk/updates/

It isn't Blundellsands & Crosby; and indeed old Bing, for all his religion, doesn't seem to have been an outstandingly sweet-and-nice person... however, the operative station is, for sure, there on your list !

The first bit: it's significant that they plead erratically...

neilmc

Even with the list in front of me I'm no wiser, can't see any anagram which remotely fits!

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
"Dunkeld" can be derived from "Drunks Plead", although I've no idea what to do with the rest of the letters. I'm going out completely on a limb here, but I'll say:

Dunkeld and Birnam

Calthrop

Established Member
Not Dunkeld & Birnam. Is my clue really that unfairly obscure-and-abstruse? I can't help feeling that in Cryptic clues = station name half a year ago, it would have been solved in no time flat.

The imaginary scenario is of a philanthropic doctor who gives alms to the poor. Some recipients of his charity are boozy types, who ask him to give to them -- out of the goodness of his heart -- alcoholic refreshment also. They ask him "erratically" (tip-off word, that an anagram is adjacent). The anagram is of "fund gin & bitters too, MD".

neilmc

Ah, I think I have it now:

Mottisfont and Dunbridge.

The problem was I was persuaded that "drunks plead erratically" meant the anagram had to be of "drunks plead" at least, much like GusB!

Calthrop

Established Member
I think my stratagem is reckoned "legit" in cryptic-clue circles -- so long as the "indicator" word is next to the anagram bit -- whether before or after -- that's OK: the pleading drunks were indeed there, in the hope of throwing people off the scent.

neilmc, I prescribe for you a congratulatory double scotch. Your floor.

neilmc

Right, I don't know whether this is dead easy or fiendishly difficult but it does NOT involve an anagram!

In 2001, the first Deltic and I engage in outdated communication

cadoxton

Halifax?

Space Odyssey = Hal
and I = I
Outdated comms = fax

Im not sure about the deltic, but was the Deltic Group's first night club in Halifax?

Last edited:

neilmc

Brilliant, you got it. HAL in 2001 Space Odyssey was actually HAL 9000, and (D)9000 was the number of the first Deltic diesel loco before being renumbered as class 55s.

Your turn!