• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
I haven't got time to think one up just now, so open floor.

neilmc

If I'm right, I nearly missed it because Dinting is in Derbyshire but, like Glossop and Hadfield, looks towards Manchester and you can't use a Derbyshire Peak Wayfarer on the line! In fact, it's quite difficult to get to ANYWHERE else in Derbyshire by public transport without going through GM territory!

johnnychips

Established Member
Hi yes you are right. I nearly gave ‘NW England’ as the clue, but technically it’s in the East Midlands, though it looks to Manchester for everything.

Damage = Dint
In
Gerald’s front = g

neilmc

Mythic Mark, Crewe station figurer, heads South for a notable long namer. But it's not a steamer, and it's certainly not a Warship!

neilmc

Clues: Obviously an anagram. Quite a "long namer" so not that easy. The last part is a hint at transport preservation, but not as we know it on this site!

neilmc

Nope, not Rhoose. The answer is actually FIVE words long. Oh, it's not an ex-BR station, but neither is it on a preserved railway. But it's transport preservation of some kind. And it's not in Scotland, though also connected with Robert Burns . Clues enough?

neilmc

Yes indeed! The Cutty Sark was one of our last sailing ships, a tea clipper, so it's not a "steamer" nor a "warship"! The name comes from a poem by Robert Burns and refers to an underskirt worn by a witch, believe it or not!

backontrack

Established Member
Ah, yes, thank you! Sorry I took so long, but here's my clue:

Curses! Curses to one and everything!

DanTrain

Sugar Loaf? (on the basis of 'curses' being an anagram of 'sucres', being French for sugar. Tenuos and most likely wrong, I know!)