• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Just to suggest something, though sure essentially that it can't be right: Bournemouth

neilmc

Dale Cooper has it by a whisker! SHERB (urn-in-elm) ET.

Last time I was in Sherburn-In-Elmet I had to catch the train to South Milford and get picked up from there, there again it was about thirty years ago and I believe wasn't (and isn't) directly accessible from Leeds.

Calthrop

Established Member
Thank you, sir.

Wastrel son pawns parts of camouflage-painted car (a paternal gift) -- Dad's reaction (incoherent): Mottled axles in hock? Ire !

Caboose Class

For today's clue, I'm taking you to the movies. The Road to Hong Kong (1962) starring Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Joan Collins and Dorothy Lamour.
In the film, when they're all at sea, Joan turns to Dorothy and asks ""Where's Bing?" To which Dorothy replies "He’s astern Bob’s junk".

Calthrop

Established Member
For today's clue, I'm taking you to the movies. The Road to Hong Kong (1962) starring Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Joan Collins and Dorothy Lamour.
In the film, when they're all at sea, Joan turns to Dorothy and asks ""Where's Bing?" To which Dorothy replies "He’s astern Bob’s junk".

Robertsbridge?

Falconwood it is (Leighton Buzzard is not a bad guess but I had specified London!)

I'd been thinking Leyton, in the north-east quarter of Greater London -- find, as above, that I was mis-spelling it.
(@Caboose Class didn't say about Falconwood / LB as suggested above; but I find the forums' quoting mechanism as it is nowadays, a frequent trial !)

DaleCooper

Established Member
Manchester Square (Blackpool Tramway)?

Caboose Class

Besses o'th'Barn?
Besses o’th’ Barn (a station on the Manchester Metrolink) is the correct answer. It’s an anagram of “He’s astern Bob’s”. The movie “The Road to Hong Kong” really had nothing to do with the answer apart from providing me with the anagram indicator “junk” - which also enabled me to incorporate the two apostrophes into the original clue.

Last edited: