• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cryptic clues = station name

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Let's try an alternative -- From friendly, peaceable drunk: counsel (blurred-and-slurred) -- gin, not brawl.

Calthrop

Established Member
From first thing Monday, I'll be going on a week's holiday in a for me computer-less location; so best say, open floor please.

Calthrop

Established Member
From first thing Monday, I'll be going on a week's holiday in a for me computer-less location; so best say, open floor please.

Holiday has had to be called off -- so (nobody having stepped up), I'll take the next one after all -- with quite a short-and-snappy clue by my standards.

An elated Isaac (sounds like)? (probably about that dratted apple)

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
A friend of mine, and great music buff, once described me accurately as "musically dead" -- two or three minutes ago as I type this, I'd never heard of Isaac Hayes (following on from your reference, I've Googled him) -- sorry: it isn't Hayes.

Lightbulb, or possibly apple on bonce, moment while thinking of Isaacs. Not the one Abraham was going to kebab, but Grantham's second most famous offspring? And being elated, Newtonmore ?

Calthrop

Established Member
Newton-le-Willows?
Lightbulb, or possibly apple on bonce, moment while thinking of Isaacs. Not the one Abraham was going to kebab, but Grantham's second most famous offspring? And being elated, Newtonmore ?

The Newton is indeed the 17th / 18th century scienceperson (@htafc, I take it you're thinking of him too); however, answer-station is neither of you's suggested one -- it is geographically between the two.

Newton makes his great discovery, and tells his serving man, Clifford, about it. "Yon gravity mun be a great invention, sir" says the trusty retainer. Replies Newton "Ay, Cliffe, it will change the way that natural philosophy is perceived in this and other realms."

Calthrop

Established Member
Verily, sir, it striketh me as "awful, amusing and artificial", as that Papist idiot (but just occasionally, pithy wordsmith) King (mercifully briefly) James II; said of Wren's new St. Paul's Cathedral -- just how great a number of voyagers'-boarding-and-discharging-points on that future mode of transport, the steam rail-road: shall turn out to be hight "Newton-somewhat" (or indeed, "somewhat-Newton"). Amidst this minor multitude -- alack, no wight hath yet hit upon the correct one.

DaleCooper

Established Member
The Newton is indeed the 17th / 18th century scienceperson (@htafc, I take it you're thinking of him too); however, answer-station is neither of you's suggested one -- it is geographically between the two.
Not Asimov Junction then?
Someone has to start... and sorry that your holiday is not taking place... but the Isaac reference suggests Hayes.
You've been shafted.

Calthrop

Established Member
Newton On Ayr?

That's it ! -- the ecstatic Sir I.N. walking, or floating, on "air" -- will confess to never having heard of the station concerned, before this evening.

'tis thine, Sir neilmc, to pose the next pretty rebus to the assembled company.

neilmc

Marple it is of course, as in Miss Jane Marple the Agatha Christie detective. D6130 can take the next train out of here.

Calthrop

Established Member
A rare instance of an ecstatic Newton, then: he supposedly only laughed twice in his entire life!

But supposedly one of his last utterances, expressed joy and satisfaction at his dying a virgin. A rather unusual chap ...