• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crystal Palace FC charter a steam train for a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Dunno if this is in the right forum, a cursory glance has shown that the story hasn't made it here yet but most people here like trains and football so it's certainly relevant. Crystal Palace FC are running a steam train from Clapham Junction & Selhurst to Southampton on the final day of the season. One of their owners is a buff by the looks of things.

Crystal Palace FC co-owner Jeremy Hosking is a prominent collector of vintage steam trains and we are delighted to be able to announce that Jeremy is organising a steam train journey to and from Southampton for our final league game of the 2015/2016 season on Sunday May 15th 2016.

It is planned that the train will be hauled by the recently restored “Battle of Britain Class” locomotive “Lord Dowding” which was built in 1946 and served on the Southern Railway until taken out of service in 1967. This locomotive was named after the Commanding Officer of RAF Fighter Command during the Battle of Britain who is credited with having played a crucial role in Britain's aerial defence and, consequently, the defeat of Hitler’s plans to invade Britain in World War Two.
(link to story)

They are selling tickets but I'd imagine most of us don't meet the criteria to buy one. You have to be a Palace season ticket holder to be eligible. If you are it's worth noting that the team will be on the train for the trip back to London.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
They are selling tickets but I'd imagine most of us don't meet the criteria to buy one. You have to be a Palace season ticket holder to be eligible. If you are it's worth noting that the team will be on the train for the trip back to London.

Now sold out according to the website, unfortunately.

Which may well have happened since your post of course, so definitely no criticism intended.

Southern

Anyone know the path it'll take? Will it be going via Ford, Petersfield or Winchester?

The schedule (Clapham, Selhurst, West Croydon, Southampton) would suggest routing via the Mole Valley down to Ford OR turning off at Leatherhead to go via Guildford & Petersfield. For some reason, the latter completely slipped my mind earlier.

Last edited:

Clip

Established Member
A vintage train to a football match? Must match the vintage style of football they produce too

Clip

Established Member
As a football special, will it be a "Dry" train?

Doubt it. Why would it be?

When I mentioned vintage football earlier on I meant football that hadnt moved on since the early 1950s. F**k Pardew

Kite159

Veteran Member
This is where Southampton missed a trick when building St Marys by not putting a platform in on the little freight line towards the Eastern Docks, for use for Football specials, with relevant point/track work around the junction.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I guess haveing a major steam train owner as an investor in the club helps with arranging this service ;)

This is where Southampton missed a trick when building St Marys by not putting a platform in on the little freight line towards the Eastern Docks, for use for Football specials, with relevant point/track work around the junction.

why? There is no real point. i bet this is the first time a FOOTEX has run to Southampton since they moved ground.

NSEFAN

Established Member
For crowd control measures it's probably better to get people to walk to Southampton Central in order to disperse the crowds somewhat.

38Cto15E

For this special journey,34052 Lord Dowding needs a quick makeover, to 34056 Croydon. :)

Smitham

I am a CPFC ST holder but dithered and it sold out. TBH none of my mates would want to cough up that much for the trip.

Route is as follows:
Clapham Junction
Wandsworth Common
Balham
Streatham Common
Norbury
Thornton Heath
Selhurst
West Croydon
Waddon
Wallington
Carshalton Beeches
Sutton
Cheam
Ewell East
Epsom
Ashtead
Leatherhead
Bookham
Effingham Junction
Horsley
Clandon
London Road
Guildford
Farncombe
Godalming
Milford
Witley
Haslemere
Liphook
Liss
Petersfield
Rowlands Castle
Havant
Bedhampton
Cosham
Portchester
Fareham
Swanwick
Bursledon
Hamble
Netley
Sholing
Woolston
Bitterne
St Denys
Southampton Central
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sporting Events (Control of Alcohol etc.) Act 1985

Dinner with wines and beers on the return journey. (not travelling TOO a sporting event presumeably)

Last edited:

Smitham

It was £200 plus match ticket. Jeremy Hosking paid the additional £100 per person cost.
Really good of him. He has been planning this for three years and was only able to do this game due to the fact that kick off date and time could not be changed by the TV companies. (last game of the season)

Last edited:

Deepgreen

Established Member
I am a CPFC ST holder but dithered and it sold out. TBH none of my mates would want to cough up that much for the trip.

Route is as follows:
Clapham Junction
Wandsworth Common
Balham
Streatham Common
Norbury
Thornton Heath
Selhurst
West Croydon
Waddon
Wallington
Carshalton Beeches
Sutton
Cheam
Ewell East
Epsom
Ashtead
Leatherhead
Bookham
Effingham Junction
Horsley
Clandon
London Road
Guildford
Farncombe
Godalming
Milford
Witley
Haslemere
Liphook
Liss
Petersfield
Rowlands Castle
Havant
Bedhampton
Cosham
Portchester
Fareham
Swanwick
Bursledon
Hamble
Netley
Sholing
Woolston
Bitterne
St Denys
Southampton Central

Dinner with wines and beers on the return journey. (not travelling TOO a sporting event presumeably)

Expect the loco and stock to be stripped of anything removable on the return! Is the same return route expected?
It was £200 plus match ticket. Jeremy Hosking paid the additional £100 per person cost.
Really good of him. He has been planning this for three years and was only able to do this game due to the fact that kick off date and time could not be changed by the TV companies. (last game of the season)

However, NR can still change pretty much everything about the trip (gauging issues, engineering works, routeing, steam ban for lineside fire prevention, etc.)!

Last edited:

trainmania100

Established Member
Okay, wouldnt mind seeing this but if it leaves CLJ earlier than 10am I probably wont bother.
The football kickoff is at 3pm

Smitham

BTP have ruined this for a lot of people. Declared it a football special and will enforce the dry train rule for both out and rtn.

CLAPHAM JUNCTION 10.08 - departs platform 17
BALHAM 10/15
STREATHAM COMMON 10/20
SELHURST arr 0.28 dep 10.30
WEST CROYDON arr 10.38 dep 10.41
WALLINGTON 10/45
SUTTON (SURREY) 10/51
EPSOM 11/00
LEATHERHEAD 11/08
EFFINGHAM JUNCTION 11/18
GUILDFORD 11/34
SHALFORD JN 11/36
FARNCOMBE 11/39
HASLEMERE arr11/53 dep 12W13 (stop to take on water I think)
PETERSFIELD 12/28
HAVANT 12/43
FARLINGTON JN 12/48
COSHAM COSHAM 12/50
FAREHAM 12/59
ST DENYS 13/23
SOUTHAMPTON CENTRAL 13.28

Deepgreen

Established Member
Engineering works between West Croydon and New Cross Gate that day. I hope the location allows the Selhurst - West Croydon route to be available.

trainmania100

Established Member
Engineering works between West Croydon and New Cross Gate that day. I hope the location allows the Selhurst - West Croydon route to be available.

Id rather it go via Brighton Mainline
Seeing as Saturday 14th Three Bridges to Weymouth has been cancelled ill need something to make up for it :P

trainmania100

Established Member
I'm the wrong side of Sutton that day due to the engineering block so will have to look at my options.

Any ideas as to the coaching stock, i.e. Mk 1, Mk2, livery etc please?

Its DB Sckenker operated, not sure what coaches they usually use

Status
Not open for further replies.