• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CT's Future confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve158

basically, VXC, CT, MML and silverlink are all disapearring to be replaced by a super WM/West coast franchise, a super EM/Eastern counties and a Cross country franchise(Newcastle-plymouth plus parts of wales and worcestershire).

however, the snow hill lines might go to chiltern if it works out to be more cost effective.

CT has had its franchise extended until autumn 2007.

i heard this from a senior manager this morning.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
steve158 said:
basically, VXC, CT, MML and silverlink are all disapearring to be replaced by a super WM/West coast franchise, a super EM/Eastern counties and a Cross country franchise(Newcastle-plymouth plus parts of wales and worcestershire).
I think that XC will remain pretty much the same, however this may be an excuse to put Desiros on Birmingham-Manchester services instead of Voyagers. After all, the route was upgraded for tilting trains so we may as well not use it, that's the logic of this country ;) (OK, I understand there may be sensible reasons too, but it does seem daft on the face of it).

The idea to split CT/Silverlink at Northampton appears to have been a no-brainer, and this proposal should restore through services. It does make sense in terms of combining CT and Silverlink on the WCML, especially with the proposed new Trent Valley stopping service.

However it should not be used as an excuse to end through trains that go West to East (e.g. Liverpool to Norwich type journeys).

I hope that it's not just a money saving exercise (although clearly money needs to be saved by reducing the number of franchises) but is also designed to benefit passengers too!

jd

I'm pleased to see there is still a chance for Snow Hill line services to be taken over by Chlitern.

I wonder though if the other West Midlands local services will suffer neglect as this new TOC spends all its time/money on the London route?

Guinness

Established Member
yorkie said:
steve158 said:
I think that XC will remain pretty much the same, however this may be an excuse to put Desiros on Birmingham-Manchester services instead of Voyagers. After all, the route was upgraded for tilting trains so we may as well not use it, that's the logic of this country ;) (OK, I understand there may be sensible reasons too, but it does seem daft on the face of it).

Hopefully Desiros will only be used on the Birmingham - Manchester services without effecting the Reading/Bournemouth Service and thus retiring the need for the XC 90 (Unless that broken 5 Car Voyager comes back before hand!) Although this is against "One Type Train Policy" so it will be a wait and see. Personally I have mixed feelings on the subject. With the Desiros you have no Diesel and don't burn up to create Greenhouse Gases. But at the same time Passenger Comfort is decreased.

I agree with the Silverlink/CT Split - It should be remerged to form a through service.

Nick

Yes the CT 'employees memo' was leaked on Uk.Railway...

Some interesting comments on there, if NatEx re-bid for East Midland will they be as cack as CT or as "good" as MML....perhaps Bambi will return now they'll be focused on Notts.

Bambi fan :D

Nick said:
Yes the CT 'employees memo' was leaked on Uk.Railway...

Some interesting comments on there, if NatEx re-bid for East Midland will they be as cack as CT or as "good" as MML....perhaps Bambi will return now they'll be focused on Notts.

Bambi fan :D[/qoute]

I dont regard any Nat Ex company as being decent and I do think some just dont give a **** about their jobs, I dont know whether this may be down to demorilising or just pure laziness, but at the end of the day they are my collegues and I dont regard them different from anyone else on the railway as long as there not part of that managerial scum. Saying that 'some' managers are great. Just a shame the rest are arseholes.

Regarding the refranchising process, just hope virgin retain the XC franchise

Guinness

Established Member
London Midland said:
Regarding the refranchising process, just hope virgin retain the XC franchise

I agree. VXC have said they would replace the old BR fleet with brand new 125mph and they did just that! You can't argue with the Increased Passenger numbers on routes - Up to 200% Passenger increase on some routes! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.