• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cycles and trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

william

Established Member
Are there many cyclists on here? Would there be much interest in some cycle meets to do some railways trails? I've a substantial knowledge of cycleroutes along old railway paths in the north eastern region, would be keen to hear from other people from different areas with similar interests.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D306

Established Member
I do like cycling but there's the small issue of me getting to the north east with a bike from Milton Keynes

John_158

I do like cycling but there's the small issue of me getting to the north east with a bike from Milton Keynes

Whats wrong with a Local service to London Eueston and cycle accross to Kings Cross and then use Hull Tarins Service to Hull then to Which ever meeting point.

D306

Established Member
have you ever heard of money, and lack of it?!?!

Also, on a local service bikes aren't always permitted so there's another problem there

eezypeazy

William,

Why not propose a date/route for your ride, so that people can then commit to it?

Regards

eezypeazy

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
YES, YES and YES! :D

We have had several successful cycle rides which were great, and we plan more this Spring/Summer!!:)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Last edited:

FusionRail

The 2 bike trails up in derbyshire along old railway lines (near buxton to ashbourne and near buxton to somewhere else) with the trails starting at Parsley Hay are quite good, both have tunnels to ride through and blast horns (if you have them) plus the scenery is great. Bike hire on site and ample carparking too.

P156KWJ

Established Member
Whats wrong with a Local service to London Eueston and cycle accross to Kings Cross and then use Hull Tarins Service to Hull then to Which ever meeting point.

I'm not made of money :roll:;);)

I'd be interested. I have an MTB which needs a new chain, so not too costly to mend :)

william

Established Member
There seems to be enough interest, though it seems yorkie has already a few planned cycle related meets, so if you haven't already done so, id suggest contacting him for more information.

Other than that, all I can say is watch this space...........:D

FusionRail

So would I considering I have half a train on my bike...

Joking aside I think im going to have to swap my tyres over for 2.10" ones for any road based meets, and use the others for off road use, as its sooo much slower with big tyres

John_158

I cycle a bit.

I'm just a bit unfit these days, and my bike needs a few new parts :p

And the issue of a lack of money too :lol:

What parts are you looking for and what type of bike do you have ?

FusionRail

:P Yeh I remember that day now, at Derby RTC I just saw a blonde head pop out the window at the other end, and then getting progressively towards loughborough you were getting closer untill we recognised each other, then I lost my shades!

Established Member
What parts are you looking for and what type of bike do you have ?

Got a Giant Yukon Trail (It's an odd looking frame), need to get:
  • New seat
  • Replacement tyres (Am currently running on odd tyres, with a slick on the front, as I wore the back one down :lol:)
  • New chain
  • New Grips
  • New back light bracket
  • Brakes need to be fixed (could end up having to get new ones, as one of the adjustment screws has threaded)
  • Probably gonna replace the front chainrings (done the back rings and derailleur a few months back)
Oh, and new shoes, which could mean new cleats as well, as I'm not sure I can get the old ones out :p

So, yeah, it's gonna be a while before that's all done, and could end up costing quite a lot. I'm probably gonna end up having spent more on the bike than it originally cost quite soon :lol:

Last edited:

D306

Established Member
:P Yeh I remember that day now, at Derby RTC I just saw a blonde head pop out the window at the other end, and then getting progressively towards loughborough you were getting closer untill we recognised each other, then I lost my shades!

yep. I thought I recognised you. I did try and zoom in with my camera to see if it was you and started going further and further back till I got to the back and then it was you. The shades will never be forgotten. anyway, we're starting to waffle now so back on topic

FusionRail

Too true, I could do with a new bike, but I love my current one. If i did get a new one it would be something rather expensive like a Saracen Zen 360 or a Saracen Kili Flyer, both over a grand.

Status
Not open for further replies.