• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

D&A and prescription medication

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nash

Hi

My son is interested in a rail career but as he takes 1 Ritalin a day which is an amphetamine type ( Methylphenidate ) does that mean he won't pass a D&A ?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotraildriver

Established Member
You would have to check permissible medication with the TOC. But you won't necessarily fail a D & A if you tell them first and it is acceptable then when it shows up there is no problem. You can fail for taking a painkiller or something which is why they ask first if you have taken anything at all, then it is no problem. Only an issue if something turns up you've not declared.

cf111

Established Member
I'm not a Doctor or a HR type, but if you are on prescribed medication and declare it before you take the test, then it would only be an issue if the effects of that medication would make it unsafe to perform your duties. I once took a routine drugs test while on Clarithromycin (an antibiotic) and I failed for Cocaine (!) but because I'd declared it I was fine.

I wouldn't let him put it off, but when he does apply, I'd make sure he does declare it when he's asked because finding it in the test results otherwise might make it look a bit dodgy.

Status
Not open for further replies.